1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Anyone know how to connect Note 2 to usb car head unit?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bugeyeblue, Jan 21, 2013.

1. bugeyeblue

bugeyeblue Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 8, 2009
    Locksmith
    I recently bought a sony head unit for my car. I used a usb charger/cable to play music through my previous phone. Now that I'm using an android phone, the head unit says "no support" with the note 2 connected. It also connect and disconnects to charge every 5 seconds. And ideas how to fix these problems?

Advertisement

2. JunBringer

JunBringer Android Expert
    None

A lot of these aren't compatible with Android unfortunately. Apple uses proprietary software instead of any sort of industry stardard which is the problem. Hopefully with the Android marketshare being way way up people should start making everything more compatible with Android devices.

bugeyeblue likes this.
  3. mygt8a4re

mygt8a4re Member
    None

Feb 1, 2011
    Bradenton, Fl
    Does your Sony head unit also have an addition 3.5mm (headphone style) jack on it? This will be the jack you want to use. You will need an auxilliary cable male/male stereo w/ 3.5mm ends.(looks like the end of your headphones, at both ends...Use the headphone jack on your Note 2 and the 3.5mm aux input on your head unit).....On my JVC the USB port only supports my little zip/thumb drive and will charge my phone, but my 3.5mm aux port is how I play music on my phone, as with all my android phones.....

bugeyeblue likes this.
  4. drexappeal

drexappeal Android Expert

Apr 8, 2010
    Male
    Entertainment Industry
    West LA, CA
    3.5mm > bluetooth dongle/adapter. You can purchase one for cheap on ebay or the Samsung HS3000 or more expensive ones.

bugeyeblue likes this.
  5. bugeyeblue

bugeyeblue Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 8, 2009
    Locksmith
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Yes, the head unit does have the 3.5 mm jack. I'll use that. I was just curious as to why it wasn't working, but also now that I know it won't work, why doesn't the USB port just keep charging the phone? It disconnects itself every few seconds and won't stay connected even just to charge the phone.

6. runamonk

runamonk Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 14, 2010
    Male
    Did you try putting your phone into disk mode after plugging it in? Like if you were going to plug it into your pc? I wonder if that might work.

7. drexappeal

drexappeal Android Expert

Apr 8, 2010
    Male
    Entertainment Industry
    West LA, CA
    The Note 2 requires a higher amp charger to keep it charging consistently. I'd imagine that a USB port through a head unit wouldn't carry enough juice to keep the phone charging.