1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Anyone know how to tell where a read-only calendar may be coming from?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Tristan Raghnall, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Tristan Raghnall

Apr 29, 2014
    I have a holidays calendar that is time-limited (lasts only till end of 2017) and also read-only. I have only a handful of holiday, calendar, and birthday apps and widgets and I've checked several times into them but I can't figure out where this holiday calendar is coming from as I can't see its details from the calendar itself, either. I also can't remember where I got it from.

Since I was able to make copies _and_ add reminders to my new holidays file, I can now delete the limited, read-only one as what I created is so much better.

Does anyone have any tips on trying to determine where this calendar came from? I'd greatly appreciate any help in this regard to do this.

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. Tristan Raghnall

Apr 29, 2014
    I found my own answer after a _lot_ of searching. Since my calendars happen to be offline (i.e., don't sync with Google), that is what actually lit a lightbulb earlier today for me. I ended up re-installing an app that deals with creating offline calendars figuring that it would ultimately handle managing them as well, including deleting. Sure enough, I found the delete feature in it. The app has permissions I don't agree with and it's not one I'll keep on my phone permanently. It's called iCal Import/Export. And though I got it from the Play Store directly, here is the description page on the web: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tk.drlue.icalimportexport&hl=en

It wants access to Identity, Calendar, Photos/Media/Files, Wi-Fi where in my view it should only be asking for access to the Calendar - so here is how I dealt with it: I installed it, immediatey afteward shut down the Wi-Fi, deleted the offending read-only calendar, and then uninstalled the app. Since before uninstalling I made a backup of the file, I now have the APK on my phone for use when I need to create any other offline calendars without re-downloading.

Additionally, another benefit from iCal is that it told me a tiny bit about the developers of the calendar, even if I still have no clue as to which app it corresponds to. If I get an error down the road in an app that calls for that calendar, now that it's gone, I'll learn then where it came. But in the meantime, the nasty little read-only, time-limited events/observances calendar is gone leaving behind the one I created based on it that works perpetually without a time limit!! Win-win.

[Don't know if it's okay or not, but going to mark this as the answer as I found what resolved this type of issue. Good for anyone arriving here that has a similar issue with this type of thing.]

#2 Tristan Raghnall, Jul 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2016