1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Anyone know how to unbrick optimus m?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mikekelso421, Feb 19, 2011.

1. mikekelso421

mikekelso421 Android Enthusiast
    None

So i have an LG Optimus M thats pretty much bricked.it will not boot into recovery mode,boot past the lg screen,get recognition from my computer whatsoever or anything else..it will however (probably not relevant) show the "battery required" screen when i plug it in without the battery..i was wondering if there was any way to somehow get this phone repaired so i can do some experimenting with it.im kinda new to this phone stuff but i DID manage to use the downgrade method successfully and also managed to root my stock 2.2.1 with not TOOO many problems..some im pretty able to follow instructions pretty well. ALL SUGGESTIONS ARE ENCOURAGED.I WOULD LOOVE TO GET THIS PHONE OPERATIONAL AGAIN!! thanks for all your help!:thinking:

Advertisement

2. Yawa

Yawa Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 10, 2010
    Pharmacy Tech
    Melrose, MA
    The first question is, what happened? What did you do to brick it?

3. mikekelso421

None

All I did was download rom manager.and select backup current rom.then it froze..hasn't worked since

4. andyo70

andyo70 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 2, 2010
    Male
    Bum. LOL!
    Glassboro, NJ
    Why do people keep using rom manager? If you had your phone rooted in the first place you probably also had a custom recovery installed. In that recovery menu is an option to back up your rom called nandroid. STOP USING ROM MANAGER!

5. mikekelso421

None

well if i knew that before i wouldnt have.lol but thats all i did..and its been EFFED ever since..

6. OptimusKush

OptimusKush Lurker
    None

Feb 16, 2011
    Hustlin
    The Trap House
    andyo70's guide on LGNPST worked wonders for my bricked phone =]

7. Destundead

Destundead Member
    None

Dec 22, 2010
    Allen Tx
    Your bricked phone wont work with Andyos method with lgpnst or whatever. The only thing i was able to do was take it to a Metropcs corporate store or whatever its called and tell them i tried to update to 2.2.1 and it reset and did that. I dont know if that will work or not since yours started off on 2.2.1 but it worked for me, they just switched out for another one and charged me 30 dollars.

8. x2CHRIS6x

x2CHRIS6x Member
    None

Feb 19, 2011
    Sales - metroPCS
    Detroit
    What is the odds of bricking a phone? Just curious, I really can't brick my phone, I will be screwed.

9. Destundead

Destundead Member
    None

Dec 22, 2010
    Allen Tx
    Just dont mess with rom manager or anything like that. You can put a custom rom on your phone but dont use any app like rom manager to do it. Do it manually if you want one. Follow getitnowmarketing and asadullahs and andyo's thread on all that stuff to mess with your phone.

10. mikekelso421

None

well as far as custom roms,i dont know of any custon roms even available for this phone..and other than that,as far as i know,there is no recovery mode on this phone.i successfully rooted like 5 phones no problem but when i try to boot into recovery mode,it does a factory reset..NOT GOOD! i got WAAAAY too many apps and customs stuff on my phone to want to be factory reseting every day.lol other than that,what is the purpose of using titanium backup??should it be used if not flashing a ROM to your phone?? (my guess is its used to make a system restore point incase theirs a malfunction,fatal crash or soft brick.and also doesnt need to be used if not flashing a ROM).please fill me in.im KINDA new to this.but ive already rooted and pimped out at least 10 phones now and i pretty much got the hang of it pretty well....any roms made/being made for the optimus m??

11. Aplus

Aplus Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 12, 2010
    Bay Area
    First, there is a custom rom, asadullah's romzero (he's working on an update a possibly a new gingerbread rom.) Second, we have a custom recovery and it works great but as far as I can tell it does not work with 2.2.1. Last, Titanium is great for restoring apps with data, for example; you have a few apps that you aren't using and want to free up space you can create a backup and uninstall, if u where to reinstall through the market you would get the app back, but if you use TI you get all your info associated with that app (settings, login info, etc.) It is also useful if an app has an update that you don't like for whatever reason (did nothing but put ads in, crashes your phone) you can revert back to the old version. It has been pretty useful imo.

mikekelso421 likes this.
  12. mikekelso421

None

yea i have a rooted 2.2.1. so im guessing no custom recovery for me..lol and also,i hear alot about gingerbread..whats so GREAT about gingerbread that everyone wants it??features and what not??thanks for your help also!!

13. awersf

awersf Lurker
    None

Apr 4, 2011
    I did the SAME exact thing as you about five hours ago, and I've been trying to fix it since.. and I got it. I used kdz and a copy of the stock rom (also a kdz file) and connected my phone to my computer in emergency mode. Just google "lg optimus kdz unbrick" it should be the second result. Although, I did come into a problem with my laptop running Windows 7. KDZ wouldn't recognize my phone, but my desktop, Windows XP would. Oh well, I'm just glad I have my phone back, hope it works out for you.

EDIT: I just saw Optimus M. Sorry, this might have just been a big wall of text.

14. Muzramp

Muzramp Member
    None

Dec 20, 2010
    Just curious, what key combo did you use for Emergency mode?

15. tiffngrims

tiffngrims Guest
    None

May 13, 2011
    Hi. I have a huge problem and I am so stressed because some of the people in these forums are awfully mean and I am already having a bad enough time, Plus I have been searching for 3 days and found no working solution. I love my phone and I fear I may just have to give up all hope, but I am just not quite ready to let go....
    Seriously tho, I rooted my Optimus S and I had a hell of a time getting a recovery to work finally thunderc did the trick. then I added thundeRom, and I had it about to weeks when I came across this cool ROM called cyanogen nightly so I just had to have it. Well then my phone wouldn't flash into recovery. I tried installing many recoveries none would work.
    After so many failed attempts I kept getting permission denied. I remembered that before I rooted I had the same problem and after I did a factory reset and wiped my phone clean it worked, So I did that again and I pretty sure it bricked, only I have not found any other post where the symptoms were just like mine. My phone will only blink LG nothing else.
    I did back up with titanium before this and I had a nandroid backup also. Is there any hope? Does anyone know what may have happened with my recovery before this happened? It was working fine. I have not been this long without a phone in at least 10 years. Please help I would greatly appreciate it. thanks.

16. jabbawest

jabbawest Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    Male
    Level III Support Dallas County
    Fountain of Lamneth
    Not that you can't be helped in this forum but, it would be beneficial for you to start your own dedicated help thread in the Optimus S forum Optimus S - All Things Root - Android Forums instead of dredging up older help threads in the Optimus M forum.
    Don't worry about any "mean" people, it's not like they can come through the screen, just ignore them and be thankful for the ones that are helpful and provide you with pertinent and helpful information.

17. darryim

darryim Android Enthusiast
    None

May 29, 2011
    HEY BRO WHERE DID YOU FIND THE ROM FOR THE LG optimus m plz help me my fone its fked up

18. new optimus

new optimus Android Expert
    None

Mar 10, 2011
    Jax Fl
Tags: