• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone know how to use an Android phone as a GSM gateway with Asterisk?

I'm also looking at a way for doing just this.

Currently I have the following set up.

upload images

Asterisk Server on my LAN is up and running.

All phone clients can call each other (Calls can be made between any of the phones - sipdroid can call the 7910s etc).

This is mostly a playground, so there are no external telephony connections (Either through a land-line, or via commercial VOIP providers). However the HTC desire obviously has a GSM/Mobile connection.

Two things I'd like to achieve:

[1] I'd like to be able to get this up and running so that I can dial a UK phone number on my 7910, it would then be routed via the Android phone (which is connected to Asterisk by SIP) onto the GSM network to make the call.

[2] Similarly (this may be easier to set up) I would like to have it so that incoming calls on my Android phone can be routed via SIP to one of the 7910 desk phones.

I've hit a brick wall with this one, so if anyone could offer advice it would be appreciated. I've had a look at the SIPDroid configuration, but this doesn't seem to have any options for routing calls.

In theory: objective [1] would actually require an Andorid App which works as a SIP-GSM gateway to forward on outgoing calls. Objective [2] surely should only be a case of finding an andorid dialer which can redirect incoming calls on GSM to a SIP account which is already configured on the phone. A basic case of call forwarding surely?

As I say, I'm stumped at this point. IF anyone can point me in the right direction I would happily test and document this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones