1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Anyone know how to use an Android phone as a GSM gateway with Asterisk?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by arjunsdarkside, Mar 18, 2011.

1. arjunsdarkside

None

Jan 24, 2011
    I'd like to be able to make calls from my Asterisk PBX through my Android Phone. Anyone know how to set up the interface? I'm using an HTC G-2

Advertisement

2. vulcan25

vulcan25 Lurker
    None

Apr 1, 2011
    I'm also looking at a way for doing just this.

Currently I have the following set up.

[​IMG]
    upload images

Asterisk Server on my LAN is up and running.

All phone clients can call each other (Calls can be made between any of the phones - sipdroid can call the 7910s etc).

This is mostly a playground, so there are no external telephony connections (Either through a land-line, or via commercial VOIP providers). However the HTC desire obviously has a GSM/Mobile connection.

Two things I'd like to achieve:

[1] I'd like to be able to get this up and running so that I can dial a UK phone number on my 7910, it would then be routed via the Android phone (which is connected to Asterisk by SIP) onto the GSM network to make the call.

[2] Similarly (this may be easier to set up) I would like to have it so that incoming calls on my Android phone can be routed via SIP to one of the 7910 desk phones.

I've hit a brick wall with this one, so if anyone could offer advice it would be appreciated. I've had a look at the SIPDroid configuration, but this doesn't seem to have any options for routing calls.

In theory: objective [1] would actually require an Andorid App which works as a SIP-GSM gateway to forward on outgoing calls. Objective [2] surely should only be a case of finding an andorid dialer which can redirect incoming calls on GSM to a SIP account which is already configured on the phone. A basic case of call forwarding surely?

As I say, I'm stumped at this point. IF anyone can point me in the right direction I would happily test and document this.

3. PSkeptic

PSkeptic Android Expert
    None

Jan 10, 2011
    IT Project Manager
    Buffalo, NY USA
    I don't think you can do this. About the only way I can think of is to write a custom app, and a custom channel driver for Asterisk.

You might be able to route audio and tones through the ADB bridge, but I'm not confident it would be possible.