1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Anyone know why Android locked SD card from apps in first place?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by musiclover7, Dec 8, 2014.

1. musiclover7

musiclover7 Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 25, 2012
    I'm trying to figure out why Google would opt to lock down the SD card, such that apps can no longer write to it. What's up with this decision? What is the purpose? Security obviously, but what bits get stored on the SD card that are so critical to the health and wellness of the OS? Call me curious...

Advertisement

2. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby Android Expert

Dec 31, 2011
    Male
    Boston MA USA
    Jerry Hilderbrand over at Android Central made this point which is as far as I can tell the main reason for the change;
    "...previously any application that declared permission to read and write to the SD card was allowed to write files to any folder — including your system folders, and any folder something like a banking app might have made. Any type of file, too. That includes files that could be read when another app starts up and affect the settings or way that app works. It was a complete and total security nightmare, and why a lot of people — including yours truly — did not want phones with SD cards."
    You can read the whole article at this link.

3. musiclover7

None

Nov 25, 2012
    Seems like they could have come up with a much smarter method of controlling security rather than just shutting down read/write to the entire SD card.

4. WAWood8

WAWood8 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 20, 2011
    Actually, they didn't sit down writing to the entire card. The apps can still write to the card; they just have to do more to make that happen. So basically, blame lazy developers if your app no longer writes to the card!

5. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    Any app can create its' own folder on the SD card. Once that is done, then that app can move files, copy paste files TO THAT FOLDER. That app is locked out of all other folders.
    Once you understand that part of it, it's really not all that bad.

ie, I have my camera configured to save all pictures to the SD card and it does quite nicely. This keeps my phone's internal memory open for app data and it has about 5 gB available for apps to use. not likely that will ever be a problem.

So, keeping all multi-media, photos, videos, etc. on the SD card leaves the phone's internal memory open most of the time.

6. ecellis

ecellis Lurker
    None

Apr 20, 2013
    It sucks though when you are trying to use a file explorer to copy files from the download folder into a folder on your SD card. Don't want to go plug into a computer. I'm rarely at one.

7. bIOforger

bIOforger Android Expert
    None

Jun 19, 2014
    Male
    Some developers/apps canNOT write to the SD card at all. I have quite a few apps with the issue, where they specifically say its not possible under Kitkat. Not that they are lazy and can't be bothered ;)

This is something to do with the apps which need access to the file system structure, like file explorer managers and picture/gallery managers like Quickpic, so its not applicable to all apps.

The reason why the camera and my files manager can write to the SD card is because they are Samsung applications.

8. bIOforger

bIOforger Android Expert
    None

Jun 19, 2014
    Male
    Just use the Samsung My files Manager :)

9. musiclover7

None

Nov 25, 2012
    I am also finding that some apps which have the ability to edit mp3 tags, are unable to do so for files on sd card. Also can't pull data over to sd card via wireless without the ability. Pretty frustrating. They should have given the end user the ability to create directories designated as read/write on the card.

bIOforger likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S5

The Samsung Galaxy S5 was announced in 2014 and was the company's first flagship of the year. The device featured a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 1920 x 1080, 2GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, and a 16MP primary rear camera.