• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root anyone not tried out aosp yet?

youdoofus

Android Expert
Feb 26, 2011
so dak
Heres my thought... for those of you using sense roms who havent used an aosp rom yet, please let us know why youve not delved into the fray yet. I am, by no means, attempting to browbeat ANYONE who uses sense, and strictly sense based roms, im just trying to get a consensus from the folks who choose that way of romming to get the opinions/reasons out there. We are all looking for "the best rom out there" and reasons why we've chosen what we've chosen might provide some insight :) No preference dissing in this thread please, just the reason why youve chosen what you have.

My choice... CM7(sony explod version) with the Tiamat kernel combo for speed, battery life, stability and customization abilities. Seems like the PSP phone version works best with my phones' physical build for whatever reason :D

I've run MIUI for stretches on and off, and the longest I've run a real aosp ROM was when I ran CM7 for a few weeks... And honestly I always come back to a sense ROM like MiKG or Classic - not only for the eye candy (I also found the look of aosp not appealing), but because they just seem to work so much better on my phone, without issues.

Also, on MiKG and especially on Tommy's Classic, my data speeds have been noticeably better than with aosp ROMs... And the way Sprint's been running around here, I need all the help I can get in that department.

Lately if I really want to mess with an alternative launcher, I use Tommy's senseless or MiKG's (using the debloater to strip out rosie and widgets etc).

Upvote 0
I really Love My Xplod. I live in the boonies and to be honest Most Sense based roms only give me a few hours of battery life. I get roughly around 8 hours on Xplod with Tiamat 3.3.7 - As far as the "eye candy" I have been trying to learn some theming in my full 10 minutes of spare time a day. (yes really slow process) but i'm in no hurry either. I am using go launcher and love it.

Xpert has his perspective that AOSP just looks cheap to him
My perspective is that AOSP needs me to help define how its supposed to be instead of some Corporation defining it for me.

I have nothing but Respect for Xpert. Most users I believe will fall on one side or the other of those two very different perspective.

I'm currently running classic and really am about to switch back to Xplod. I like to try a Sense ROM every now and then. It's like Windows, I don't really care for proprietary systems like that but at times they are a necessary evil. And I have to use it from time to time just to keep up with the lastest and greatest they have to offer.

Upvote 0
I've run both, and honestly it comes down to this for me....

Sense = typically more stable, better looking, faster, uses more battery....

AOSP = awesome battery life, a lil harder to tweak and set up the way I like it, but I havent found a single AOSP rom that dosent have a bug or 2....

I ran the AOSP(cm7) xplod for over a month, and it is by far my favorite AOSP rom, it took a while to set it up the way I wanted, but ran pretty smooth after I did... Battery life was second to none with tiamat 3.3.7

I am now on the sense version of this rom, and I gotta say, its pretty slick, it is however still in beta, so there are some bugs, minor bugs, but bugs none the less... battery life isnt quite as great as the aosp version, but so far, better than any other sense rom I've ran... It also flies compare to the aosp version...

It basically comes down to personal preference/needs I live in the stix, so battery life is huge for me, the flip side is that aosp roms tend to "slow down" when signal is poor (at least for me) so sense helps there (no idea why?)

Reactions: youdoofus
Upvote 0
I was on MIUI this summer, pretty much the whole summer - and spend most of the school year (up to this point) on cm7 ... now I'm trying out MikG

The way I look at it is that - why not try them all. My phone was stuck with sense for quite a while, and now that I'm free to look about, I most definitely will be doing so. :)

Very good idea though.. I always enjoy the why question.

Upvote 0
Well I will add my .02 to this even tho I'm very new at this root / rom thing! Out of blind luck I chose to go with CyanogenMod as my very first flashed ROM and I really like the look of it. I personally have gotten tired of looking at the stock widgets etc. and was looking for something with a 'clean' look. That can be subjective I suppose but I just like the look of less on my home page than having a big ol' clock and weather widget! That's just me. Now I'm far from being able to make comments about other ROMs as I've not tried anything else...yet! When I do, I can add more .02!

Upvote 0
I enjoyed me some aosp for a while.

The battery life was great with the sbc kernel.

Being able to modify it was something i appreciated in theory but didn't take time to exploit.

That boot loop of death is always in the back of my mind too though. I might jump in and mess with it again in the future, but Mikg3.0 just does everything I want right now.

Upvote 0
I've run them periodically. I really liked Decks 1.3 GB build.
Also the Xplod Rom was great. (I plan to try the new one)

The only things I didn't like is that the stock messenging app doesn't do multiple contacts, and the phone app isn't as smooth as the Sense one for calling someone by typing the first couple letters or numbers to call them.

I'm planning to run the ICS stuff when it gets farther along.

HTC does have some great Widgets. But I bought a bunch when Google was selling then for $.10

Upvote 0
since your issue with TWRP? Why can't it be rooted again?

can't mount my sd card. i have tried new and old cards. also the phone will not communitcate with the computer. it will charge, but that is about it. i have tried all sorts of drivers and all of them will not let the computer to see my phone. and i can't even update. it fails everytime.

Upvote 0
can't mount my sd card. i have tried new and old cards. also the phone will not communitcate with the computer. it will charge, but that is about it. i have tried all sorts of drivers and all of them will not let the computer to see my phone. and i can't even update. it fails everytime.

Have you tried using a Linux Live CD and seeing if that will recognize the phone?

Upvote 0

Yuck. Thank goodness for your 3vo.

Reactions: dustwun77
Upvote 0
I've run them periodically. I really liked Decks 1.3 GB build.
Also the Xplod Rom was great. (I plan to try the new one)

The only things I didn't like is that the stock messenging app doesn't do multiple contacts, and the phone app isn't as smooth as the Sense one for calling someone by typing the first couple letters or numbers to call them.

I'm planning to run the ICS stuff when it gets farther along.

HTC does have some great Widgets. But I bought a bunch when Google was selling then for $.10

Gosms + godialer... problem solved! I run both even while on sense roms.

Reactions: NaterTots
Upvote 0
I've run MIUI for stretches on and off, and the longest I've run a real aosp ROM was when I ran CM7 for a few weeks... And honestly I always come back to a sense ROM like MiKG or Classic - not only for the eye candy (I also found the look of aosp not appealing), but because they just seem to work so much better on my phone, without issues.

Also, on MiKG and especially on Tommy's Classic, my data speeds have been noticeably better than with aosp ROMs... And the way Sprint's been running around here, I need all the help I can get in that department.

Lately if I really want to mess with an alternative launcher, I use Tommy's senseless or MiKG's (using the debloater to strip out rosie and widgets etc).

I want to try Tommy's Classic, but i couldn't find it in the downloads page?

Upvote 0
I haven't really tried it much at all. I spent maybe a few days on cm when I first rooted, and then switched back to sense and stuck with that ever since. I remember there was something I really didn't like, but I don't remember what it is now. Funny thing is that I was actually all set up to try it again in Dec, and then I heard about phones getting the boot screen o' death and it turned me off from it. I know that the odds are pretty good that it won't happen to me, but I'm not willing to take those chances. Hopefully the problem will get fixed and I can try it out.

Reactions: dustwun77
Upvote 0
Once I got off sense I really can't even stand the thought of going back.
Love CM7 and Decks version to next I am gonna try xplod's.

AOSP is for me. Smooth, clean, efficient. Much more tweaks, and the tweaks are not hard. In my opinion its way better. Its like a dating a hot younger woman. YOu can get almost anything you want. I use 4g and wireless tether and it works so much better on AOSP for me. I hav gotten better speeds and signal ever since I switched.

I have to give AOSP Roms a 2 thumbs up all the way.

Reactions: MizzouBrent
Upvote 0
I prefer Sense over AOSP "most" times, but I have no problem rocking AOSP ROMs from to time. Sense just seems to run a bit smoother for the most part on my phone. Plus, I haven't came across an AOSP ROM that didn't have a bug or 2 as stated above. Once I get an AOSP ROM configured the way I like it (takes longer than Sense for me), I generally stick with it for a bit but end back up on Sense. Problem is, I'm always installing the same things on AOSP ROMs to work around things I don't like. GoDialer for instance, MIUI camera, and usually LP or GoLauncher. They tend to look/act the same after a while. I can install the same things on Sense but generally don't "have" to in order to suit my preferences. The GPS fix used to kill me prior to the drivers posts, which deterred me for a while. The available memory space and SBC kernels (aka battery life) are the only things that keep me flashing them honestly.

Plain CM7 was the worst AOSP ROM I ever tried, but Xplod and MIUI are near the top of my list for favorite ROMs (MikG and Myn's will be hard to beat for stability and performance IMO). I do understand that Sense and AOSP ROMs run different on different phones, and I can't knock anyone for preferring one or the other. Both have their advantages/disadvantages.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones