• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Anyone notice a delay when turning the screen on after Froyo 2.2 update??

I noticed now when I press the power button to wake the phone, the bottom capacitive buttons will light up first then the display will light up. there's a noticeable lag but very short. noticeable enough from 2.1.

I noticed this too actually. 2.1, the screen would turn on first, then capacitive buttons after a second or 2 depending on the light conditions.

Upvote 0
I noticed now when I press the power button to wake the phone, the bottom capacitive buttons will light up first then the display will light up. there's a noticeable lag but very short. noticeable enough from 2.1.

It's not consistent. Sometimes you get that, others you'll get the display with the buttons coming on later.

It's a feature.

Upvote 0
what do you mean by it's a feature?

If you turn yours on/off repeatedly, you might see the swapped behavior at some point.

If so - then it means that instead of some straightforward, deterministic method such that it's always one, then the other (a common feature of 3rd generation software design on older architectures and operating systems), but is instead stochastic, meaning that you can't predict it (because the two discrete commands are given over to a scheduler that NEARLY always does what you expect in ordering the commands - a common behavior of modern systems) - then it's beyond the control of the programmers, without changing things that should never be changed, such as the various layers of the multitasking core.

That - or they have to do a re-write to straighten out whatever assumption was made in the "light up" routine.

In the case of trying to find time or resource to rewrite the light-up sequence, when ultimately both are working after a brief pause, in light of all the other work to be done, software engineers and programmers and their management have argued - successfully - for years:

It's not a bug.

It's a feature.

PS - Based on past similar experiences - this issue was latent and has come to light now that everything's running quicker / different. Very common deal.

Upvote 0
If you turn yours on/off repeatedly, you might see the swapped behavior at some point.

If so - then it means that instead of some straightforward, deterministic method such that it's always one, then the other (a common feature of 3rd generation software design on older architectures and operating systems), but is instead stochastic, meaning that you can't predict it (because the two discrete commands are given over to a scheduler that NEARLY always does what you expect in ordering the commands - a common behavior of modern systems) - then it's beyond the control of the programmers, without changing things that should never be changed, such as the various layers of the multitasking core.

That - or they have to do a re-write to straighten out whatever assumption was made in the "light up" routine.

In the case of trying to find time or resource to rewrite the light-up sequence, when ultimately both are working after a brief pause, in light of all the other work to be done, software engineers and programmers and their management have argued - successfully - for years:

It's not a bug.

It's a feature.

PS - Based on past similar experiences - this issue was latent and has come to light now that everything's running quicker / different. Very common deal.

it short term
Programers: working as intended

lol i always laugh when i hear that

Upvote 0
Oh yeah, thats weird, mine is doing that as well.
I have also noticed that the first time I swipe down the lock after a restart, for a split second I see the white HTC splash screen that has HTC in green (the one that comes up right after you do an OTA update or data reset). It lags for just a bit then switches to the home screen. It's different and slightly weird, but oh well.

Anyone else see it on theirs?

Upvote 0
At the market there is this app called No Lock. Basically, instead of hitting the power button and then swiping down on the screen to unlock it, just hitting the power button or volume down button immediately unlocks the screen it becomes very fast to unlock your phone, as well as take some of the beating on the fragile power button. I haven't had a problem with it unlocking accidentally at all.

Upvote 0
You people are strange to let this bother you.

Yeah mine does, but so?

But so, it was better when it was instantaneous. Another thing is, if you are going from landscape to portrait, you have to tilt the phone up pretty steep for it to change, making your wrist feel uncomfortable, especially when you don't want to touch the screen and are reading something. Didn't have to do that with 2.1.

It does look like an issue with a lot of people, as there's been other threads on the subject, so the one's not having any issues, should just ignore this thread before it becomes another common AF flame war.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones