• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone play an instrument?

A.Nonymous

Extreme Android User
Jun 7, 2010
I got a wild hair up my butt over the weekend and decided I wanted to play the trumpet. I actually tried out for the trumpet in band way back in 5th or 6th grade. I tried to blow on the mouthpiece like 3-4 times, got nothing and the band teacher handed me a pair of drumsticks. I was not terribly inspired by percussion and played like a year before my musical career ended due to disinterest in music and interest in girls and video games and girls. But mainly video games.

Anyway, I walked into a pawn shop just out of curiosity and ended up walking out with a cornet that dates from 1947ish. The music shop I took it too claims it is in good working order, but I can't get a sound out of it at all which is very discouraging. I've scheduled a 1 hour lesson today so hopefully I'll find out if something is wrong with the instrument or if it's just user error.

If that fails I am thinking of trying out the sax, but I'm not sure how difficult it is to play/maintain. I'm seeing quite a few used saxes on CL that seem to either be in ill repair or excessively expensive. I can't bring myselff to pay $400-800 for something I may not have interest in playing a month from now.

Anyone else play a musical instrument? What's your experience been like?

Well, it's been some time. :)
When I was 10, I really wanted to play the sax but my folks couldn't afford to rent one so I inherited my older brother's clarinet. Yep, boring instrument. But, I got pretty good. Play the bass clarinet in jazz band through 5th grade, love it! My teacher saw how I was doing and loaned me a sax at first. Was quite similar and had a great time, didn't last long. Tried trumpet for a short while, but like you said, it's tough to really get that great sound out without some work.
Well, discovered that clarinet was "lame" and picked up a cheap drum set. Absolutely loved it and played with a couple bands in high school. During that time, I tried to learn to play the guitar and am just okay. It's a nice way to chill and relax, regardless of your talent. Music is certainly one of my passions. Wish you the best of luck! :)

Upvote 0
I tried playing the guitar. I broke my wrist a few years back and I lost a lot of mobility in it. Rotating my wrist enough to hold the neck of the guitar is physically painful so it's just not worth the pain to try to learn.

I must admit I really love this cornet and feel like I'm holding a piece of history just looking at it. I just wish I could play it. I can't get any sound at all out of the stupid thing.

I have played a trap set in the past, but it just doesn't appeal to me. I can play halfway decent and keep up , but nothing special. I can stay on beat which is a huge plus for a drummer I suppose.

I'm eyeballing a Beuschler (SP?) Aristocrat Alto Sax on ebay for $300. I may pick it up regardless of how well the cornet works out. We'll see.

I do agree that the clarinet is lame. It's like an oversized recorder.

Upvote 0
How about a lap steel guitar or dobro? I love the sound from those in country and bluegrass music.
Yeah clarinet is lame, but somehow I think the oboe is cool. Guess it's just cause so few people play it. :)
Is there a shop in your town you could rent a sax from (generally for school kids) so you could see if you like it?
With the cornet, I assume you've tried the "raspberry" technique? Got to make that buzzing. Like I said, I was never terribly good at it.

Upvote 0
You need help picking an instrument then here you go...best guide ever.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1346695749352.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1346695749352.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 90
Upvote 0
I had a lesson today. Turns out that my lips are shaped weird. When I close my mouth and even when I press my lips together there's a gap between my lips because of how they're shaped. I can work around it and get a sound that sounds a lot like a sick duck looking for a place to die. I'm told this is not abnormal for beginners.

I plan on looking at a sax tomorrow. I'll probably pick it up if it's in decent shape. They want $250 for it.

Upvote 0
I used to learn the piano and cello.
The cello screwed up my tail bone, and i was never really fond of the instrument so I never got far.
i played the piano for a while too, but never really got any where.

Now, living in tokyo, if you play an instrument you would get kicked out of the apartment.
So, i wont be returning to either one of them soon...

Upvote 0
I apparently have an oddly shaped mouth. Who knew? Even when I close my lips tightly there is a gap between my lips just because of how they're shaped. Very odd. I blame my parents. I definitely plan on pursuing this just because I really love this cornet. There's something about making sounds on something that was made 15 years before Obama was even born that is insanely cool.

Going to check out the sax tonight. We're meeting at a music store so we can have an expert look at the sax. If he gives it a passing grade I'll pick it up for $250. It's a Conn 20m w/serial number N227695 so it appears to date from the mid-80s. Definitely not as much character as the cornet I got.

Upvote 0
I played trumpet (well cornet) in elementary, but quit because I didn't practice enough and focused more on guitar which I still play and now has been 14 that I have played. I practice daily and can't ever get enough of it, it truly is my passion. And in the 14 years of playing I have spent close to 10,000 .. And I had to work hard to spend that money, no help from my parents to buy it just me on my own. I was 8 years old when I started playing, and I estimate around 7000 hours of playing / practice time.

I now play in a band, I am the the "brain" that knows how a band runs.. we are doing covers currently while we work on our own music to work into our set list when its ready when we would already have a following..

Upvote 0
I'm told the piano is a good basic instrument. I once knew a music teacher who started all of her students on the piano regardless of what they wanted to play. They spent like 6 mos learning the piano, how to read music, etc..... The guys almost universally hated it and quit as they felt the piano was for sissies. I can find middle c on a piano and can pick out songs, but just barely.

Upvote 0
I've played guitar for 17 years. I can also play drums, bass and a little bit of keys.

Now I take my place behind the console instead of on the stage. I've been an engineer for about 5 years producing, mixing and mastering my own music using Pro Tools, Superior Drummer and Waves complete plugins. Taking on music production has changed my perception of how I hear music now. Ive always heard things different being that I was a guitar player but now that Im able to pick out frequencies and edits and what not, I judge production first before I judge If I like the song or not. It can be the greatest song but if its got shitty production I will never hear it because I just cant get past shitty production. It's almost like torture. Haha

Upvote 0
Well, the sax I went to look at last night didn't work out. The guy at the music store looked at it, thought it needed $50-100 in repairs and then the lady selling it decided she basically wanted to double her price. I think the universe does not want me to play the sax.

I spent an hour or so last night working on my cornet mouthpiece. I can not get anything more than a wounded duck sound and I have a very hard time doing that. My lips are shaped weird. Even when I close my lips tightly they still don't meet so any air I blow goes right out without vibrating my lips. Still working on working around it.

Upvote 0
I've played and owned- tenor, bass, and contrabass trombone; tuba, cimbasso, euphonium, bass and contrabass trumpet, valved trombone, clarinet, bass guitar, and trumpet (hint, impossible for anyone to play :D).
I've also played bass clarinet, bass drum, and sousaphone. If bass trombone didn't seriously mess with my left elbow that'd be my primary, coupled only with a good low A bari sax and a nice cimbasso. FML.

I used to play a lot more but now play mostly tuba, euphonium, and trombone in an Army reserve band. I just received the last part of my signing bonus so I've purchased an S3, am looking into finally buying a halfway decent tuba, and FINALLY have my 'basso on the way after a year. Do I win the dork award? :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones