• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone Receive a 12.8MB OTA Update Today?

Ok, I'm a noob so help me out. I got my eris on 5/29 with 1.5 firmware. VZW salesperson told me when I bought it, no matter what, don't update it. So I started researching & found these forums. The 2.1 update was available for a long time, but now it is gone. I think I'm stuck with 1.5. VZW tech support told me to do a factory data reset & the 2.1 ota should be pushed to my phone within 72 hours. It's been 48 & have not got it yet. About phone says 1.5 & currently up to date.

Upvote 0
Hey all,

I very unexpectedly received an OTA update today. Currently running 2.1 Leak V3 and was under the assumption from reading posts here that I wasn't supposed to receive anything OTA at all.. guess not.

I don't want to lose/delay potential root capability and knowing Verizon, there's an HBOOT update in there..

Can anyone shed some light? :cool:

You were under that impression because people on this board refuse to acknowledge the facts. Some people who did not upgrade to the leak want to feel special so they tell leakers that they can't get updates. The v3 leak is the official, downloadable version from Verizon.

Upvote 0
Ok, I'm a noob so help me out. I got my eris on 5/29 with 1.5 firmware. VZW salesperson told me when I bought it, no matter what, don't update it. So I started researching & found these forums. The 2.1 update was available for a long time, but now it is gone. I think I'm stuck with 1.5. VZW tech support told me to do a factory data reset & the 2.1 ota should be pushed to my phone within 72 hours. It's been 48 & have not got it yet. About phone says 1.5 & currently up to date.

See the bold.

Reactions: wesleypipesyo
Upvote 0
Went to the store to check on the lateset update. The tech said that the roll out will be completed by Sunday night...take it for what its worth which is probably nothing

LOL

Thanks for checking though. I hate to wait, I need to see if this is going to do anything to help with my issues, if not I need a replacement.

I am surprised that the download has not be captured and posted yet.

Upvote 0

deezer,

The OTA process only works with precise versions of software. So, your situation is similar to if you asked what the directions to Frankfurt are - but we don't know if you are in Sydney or Cape Town. We need to know where you are before we can tell you how to get where you are going.

Specifically, there were 3 different versions of 1.5:

1.15.???.?, 1.16.605.1, and 1.17.605.1.

I can hook you up with a method that will work for each of these three, but first tell me what version you are on. Go to your phone and do a Settings -> About Phone -> ???? (I can't remember 1.5 any longer). You should find one of the above numbers listed under Software (or similar).

Second, I find two things that are very strange about your circumstance:

(1) That a VZW rep would tell you "under no circumstances should you update this phone", and

(2) Now that you were told that, you are trying to do exactly that.

Do you know what reasons the VZW rep had for saying that? It seems extremely strange that they would say such a thing, to say the least.

eu1

Upvote 0

First, let me say (and sorry if the language offends anybody,) but that salesman is a dick. It's one thing to let somebody know that there are issues with 2.1, but that should be a decision left to a user, not to a not-know-it-all salesman.

You can follow the directions here to download and install the official 2.1 update, if you still do not have the update after 72 hours. Actually, scroll down through the comments to find these instructions:

Here is the exact procedure I followed and it works.

1. Download the file above and rename it update.zip
2. Place this file in the root of your SD card
3. Hold down Volume Down and Power to enter the bootloader
4. Select Recovery and press the power button
5. The phone should reboot and give you a screen with an exclamation point
6. Press Home and Power to access the recovery menu
7. Select Apply sdcard:update.zip
8. Wait about 10 minutes for it to finish its thing

Reactions: deezer
Upvote 0
eu1
I have software version 1.17.605.1. I believe the reason the vzw rep told me not to update was because he had some knowledge of all the bugs that were being reported after the update. I think he meant well & thought I would never know the difference. The reasons I am trying to update now are:
1. Google maps navigation. This is the main reason.
2. Faster performance.
3. It sounds like the update that is rolling out right now, will address the bugs being reported. I could be wrong.
4. I have a buddy at work who updated & yes he has experienced the silent call bug, but says the phone way outperforms 1.5 & in his opinion it is worth it.

doogald,
Thanks for the link. I will wait till my 72 hours have expired. If I still don't have it, I plan to attempt to exchange the phone for a brand new 1.5 that hopefully will get the OTA. If that doesn't work, I will try the link you provided.

Upvote 0
eu1
I have software version 1.17.605.1.
...snip...

doogald,
Thanks for the link. I will wait till my 72 hours have expired. If I still don't have it, I plan to attempt to exchange the phone for a brand new 1.5 that hopefully will get the OTA. If that doesn't work, I will try the link you provided.

deezer,

The technique that doogald suggested to you will absolutely work with 1.17.605.1. It's not that hard to do, either. Once you start it, it goes through exactly the same steps as if you had got it via OTA - it preserves all of your settings, just like the OTA. (Some folks here think that is a bad thing, and that you should do a Factory Reset after you have done the OTA anyway).

The direct link to the OTA-2.1 download file (rename to update.zip on your SD card) is:

https://android.clients.google.com/packages/desirec/OTA_Desire_C_Verizon_WWE_2.36.605.1_1.17.605.1_release_0420.79112f65.zip

Your browser might complain about invalid certs at that google site - I guess the Android 1.5 phones don't care about it, but your browser probably does. It's cool, though.

Also, VonKannick's suggestion is certainly valid - you can have a rooted phone which is essentially identical to the OTA-2.1 but with overclocking and root (Jcase's "Plain Jane"). That gives you exactly the same software experience - but faster, and with all of your options available for the future. (BTW, since the OTA does not fool around with the bootloader, you should still be able to root in the future, so long as you don't have the 1.49.0000 bootloader at present).

In the end, though, it is your decision.

eu1

Reactions: deezer
Upvote 0
There is a link a few posts up that yields a warning on my Windows 7 machine:

This Connection is Untrusted

You have asked Firefox to connect
securely to android.clients.google.com, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.

Normally, when you try to connect securely,
sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are
going to the right place. However, this site's identity can't be verified.

What Should I Do?

If you usually connect to
this site without problems, this error could mean that someone is trying to impersonate the site, and you shouldn't continue.

I haven't seen that very often.

Probably no big deal, but I had to post it here just in case. ymmv.

Upvote 0
The warning on Frisco's machine is because the site address begins with HTTPS - where the S indicates Secure. However the site is not really secure, which is what Frisco's machine is telling him (in typical not-very-helpful fashion). When he presses 'connect anyway' (or however it's phrased) he's redirected to a site where the address begins HTTP (no 's').
Naturally I'm not looking over Frisco's shoulder, nor have I tried it myself, but I strongly suspect that's what's happening.

Upvote 0
The warning on Frisco's machine is because the site address begins with HTTPS - where the S indicates Secure. However the site is not really secure, which is what Frisco's machine is telling him (in typical not-very-helpful fashion). When he presses 'connect anyway' (or however it's phrased) he's redirected to a site where the address begins HTTP (no 's').
Naturally I'm not looking over Frisco's shoulder, nor have I tried it myself, but I strongly suspect that's what's happening.

I believe you are correct; as that was the answer when it happened the one other time I now recall, a few weeks ago.

No security risk, just the malformed url.

Upvote 0
I believe you are correct; as that was the answer when it happened the one other time I now recall, a few weeks ago.

No security risk, just the malformed url.

Not so much a malformed URL, nor a malicious site, nor even an insecure site: instead, your browser is complaining because the cert used to sign the SSL connection is not from the same DNS domain as the page you are trying to retrieve.

Your browser gives that warning as an abundance of caution; the symptom is characteristic of what a man-in-the-middle SSL attack would look like.

In this case it is harmless, although it is a little surprising: Google usually isn't sloppy about stuff like this.

Wow, we've managed to jack this thread quite well, thank you very much ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones