• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone recommend a case & in-car charger COMBINATION? (for Samsung Galaxy Note)

ship69

Jul 10, 2012
UK
Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note

Hi

I am looking for the combination of:

1. A super-compact case that:
a) Protects my phone being scratched (e.g. by keys & metal coins in my pockets)
b) Protects it from dropped.
c) Takes up as little room as possible in my pocket.
d) Is very fast and convenient to use
e) Is good quality (i.e. tactile/nice to and durable/long lasting).

2. An in car charger/doc that:
a) Holds(/'cradles'?) the phone where I can see it whilst driving.
b) has FM radio output capability
(so that I can listen to podcasts etc through the car radio)
c) is at least moderately easy to the phone get in and out
d) charges the phone (!)

And obviously the phone would need to fit into the in-car charger and be charged... whilst still in the phone case!

I would like very good/ near top of the range quality.

BACKGROUND
Most in-car cradles that I have seen do not look like they have room for a phone to be still in it's protective case. But taking the case off every time you insert your phone would be a mighty pain!

I like the look of the Samsung flip cases, because they replace the actual (cheap and nasty) back of the Galaxy Note, and thus do not make the phone + case any thicker than necessary. BUT there is much chat about them falling to pieces after a couple of months. Also they fail to protect the chrome border so poor protection from being dropped...

My car is a 2007 Honda Accord, and all though it has some sort of bluetooth capability e.g. in-bound phone calls can be picked up (at least they could on my previous phone - my now much hated iPhone 3GS), apparently there is no way to play music/podcasts through the phone. And the only way it is to use an FM transmitter device that you then tune your radio to...

Any advice?

J

I had the note but it was too big for me. I bought a very thin case that was just a bumper and that made it even bigger.

I used a car mount clamp to hold that phone and just ran a cable charger to it.

Just too big and gets in the way for me. Was lucky to exchange it with a friend for the s3 and haven't looked back

Upvote 0
Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note

My car is a 2007 Honda Accord, and all though it has some sort of bluetooth capability e.g. in-bound phone calls can be picked up (at least they could on my previous phone - my now much hated iPhone 3GS), apparently there is no way to play music/podcasts through the phone. And the only way it is to use an FM transmitter device that you then tune your radio to...

Any advice?

J

I have a 2008 Accord and my local Honda dealer told me that Gracenote (who, I understand, provided the audio system software) may be updating it in the New Year. I hope it will then be able to stream audio directly from my Note because FM Transmiiters have not worked well for me. I won't be holding my breath though!

Have you tried connecting the Note to the USB port? I understand it works for iPads but have not dared to try it yet.

Upvote 0
I don't have specific products in mind but here are my suggestions:
1. Look for a phone cradle/mount large enough to fit the Note (with a case?)
2. FM transmitter that transmits through 3.5mm jack or bluetooth
3. MicroUSB USB In car charger
It might be a lot easier to find these separately than to find one that provides all these functions. And I'm sure you can (possibly) strap the charger cable and fm transmitter cable for a more organized look. Better yet, find a small sized bluetooth fm transmitter to rid one cable.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones