• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Anyone recommend Clingo Car Mount

Clingo Review
I have been using the vent mounted Clingo Mount on my Incredible for about two weeks now and thought I would drop some comments and hints.

- I really like the mount because it is not bulky and looks clean and sexy in my jeep. Also, the mount in no way interferes with the vehicle charger cord.
- I also had an issue with putting the mount on my vent until I realized that I had to attach the mount sideways to the vent louvers then just rotate the green mount plate 90 degrees. Also, close the vent louvers prior to attaching the mount to decrease airflow because like mched stated above it locks the vent into either an open or closed position depending on what you had it prior to mounting.
- As far as how well it keeps my phone secure while driving, I have had no issues when it just the phone on the mount. It stays on and in fact I have to give it some "umph!" to peel the phone off. However, I have noticed when I hook up the charger to it, that it will occasionally fall off probably due to the weight of the charger cord or pull of it. It fell off twice on a 2 hr road trip while connected to the vehicle charger...both times over semi-ruff pavement in construction areas on an interstate.
- Call quality is someone muffled. Callers can hear me, but since the speaker is on the back it can be a little muffled to hear them with AC on. I just have to remember to turn off the radio and turn phone speaker on...or maybe Santa will give me a bluetooth ear piece to use only while driving, even though I think those look dorky walking around in public.

Bottom line...A clean looking mount that will keep your phone accessible & secure 95% of the time. Definitely worth the $15 I paid for it at a local store especially considering the significant lack of attractive options out there for Incredible users.

Upvote 0
Thanks for remembering to return to the thread and update us with a review. Do you think it will hold a silicone case? Going to go out tomorrow and pick one up now!

According to their website, it doesn't work with silicone based cases:
Frequently Asked Questions about Clingo

But there is also an Amazon review that says it works fine with their silicone case:
Amazon.com: Katrina's review of Clingo Universal Hands-Free Car Mount for ...

Either way, I don't have a silicone case. I think I'm gonna take the plunge!

Upvote 0
I need to take a picture of what I have, but it's been great. I bought it at Wal-Mart (~$5.00) for my Touch Pro about a year and a half ago, and it fits my Incredible perfectly too. It says "Type S Touring Items" on it. It's just a really small plate with adjustable flexible "fingers" on the side and small "feet" on the bottom. It kind of looks like a penguin. Holds my Inc perfectly, and it doesn't block anything. It came with a vent mount thingy, but I removed that and bolted it directly to a bracket that I mounted to the dash.

Edit: found some pics on another board:
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc202/sheenis_/CIMG1370.jpg
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc202/sheenis_/CIMG1371.jpg

(these aren't my pics, I know it's not an Inc in the pics but you get the idea) The "fingers" on the sides are flexible so you bend them to fit.

Upvote 0
I have a lot of the Clingo stuff. Its all good but the car mount is a little perplexing. I have an Evo and the Clingo doesnt stick to the back of it very well so I put a cheap plastic case on my Evo and now it sticks like gangbusters. Problem is, now the phone is too heavy and it just causes the Clingo mount to droop. Im not sure what possesed them to put this thing on a ball type mount but I have to say it was pretty stupid.

Ive tried various ways to make the mount support the phone better but so far, no go.

Upvote 0
I got the vent mount holder and it worked great. I used it with my Incredible with the red/black gradient case. I did make the mistake a few times of just placing it on there and not giving it a firm press against the sticky pad which did result in it falling a few times, but on those occasions when I pressed the phone firmly at the beginning, I didn't have any issues at all. It was a great buy.

Upvote 0
I did make the mistake a few times of just placing it on there and not giving it a firm press against the sticky pad which did result in it falling a few times, but on those occasions when I pressed the phone firmly at the beginning, I didn't have any issues at all. It was a great buy.
Ditto here, but as long as I give it a firm press it stays on, no problem! Love it!

And great find with the video up above JJ3699!! :)

Reactions: jj3699
Upvote 0
Has anyone used the Clingo Car Mount for their Incredible yet? Does it stay sticky? Any issues with it falling off going over like a speedbump or something? Trying to find an inexpensive car mount but solid quality.
Using the Clingo hands free mount. works brilliantly, using with a sony phone and iphone and never falls off. gets a bit dusty after a few weeks in van, but run it underwater and back to perfect stickiness. leaves no marks on device either....all round very impressed by it

Upvote 0
I bought the vent mount model about 2 months ago and it worked without a problem with my Eris for about 2 weeks. Then it began to fall off constantly while driving. I found I had to press the phone into it very firmly with two hands to make sure it sticks or it will fall off after about 5 minutes.

Just got my Incredible today and it has the same problem, I have to really force it onto the sticky pad or it will fall off right away. Also I have to make sure it is far enough down the back so the camera lens isn't anywhere near it or it falls off right away. Just bought a textured case and belt clip combo tonight but haven't tried it out with that yet. But am assuming I will have to press it in even harder to get it to stick.

I only paid $14 for it at Wal-Mart so its not a big loss and I haven't found any thing else I like that works better. Most mounts are just too big and bulky for my taste or too expensive.

Upvote 0
I bought the vent mount model about 2 months ago and it worked without a problem with my Eris for about 2 weeks. Then it began to fall off constantly while driving. I found I had to press the phone into it very firmly with two hands to make sure it sticks or it will fall off after about 5 minutes.

Just got my Incredible today and it has the same problem, I have to really force it onto the sticky pad or it will fall off right away. Also I have to make sure it is far enough down the back so the camera lens isn't anywhere near it or it falls off right away. Just bought a textured case and belt clip combo tonight but haven't tried it out with that yet. But am assuming I will have to press it in even harder to get it to stick.

I only paid $14 for it at Wal-Mart so its not a big loss and I haven't found any thing else I like that works better. Most mounts are just too big and bulky for my taste or too expensive.

It sound like when this starts to happen you can run it under water and it should restore it to its original stickiness

Upvote 0
I purchased the Soungate M2 mount from Wired for Less. $4.99 + shipping with coupon code WOOT. Can't beat it!

SoundGate M2 iPod / iPhone / MP3 / Cell Phone / GPS Mobile Car Mount

can you post some reviews
smile.gif

Upvote 0
It sound like when this starts to happen you can run it under water and it should restore it to its original stickiness

Unfortunately washing it with water doesn't help as that was the first thing I tried.

Also with the textured case you really have to press it on there hard to get it to stick at all. I have to take the sticky pad off the vent mount and use both hands to push it on.

Upvote 0
Brand new, it only held my DInc with Seido battery for about 10 minutes before it fell off. Cleanliness was not a factor as I had used an alcohol pad on my phone and the Clingo was fresh out of the box. It was a huge disappointment. It might've been for the weight of the phone with the extended battery, but it didn't work for me.

Upvote 0
It appears that any thing with rubberized plastic doesn't stick well. I just tried something made of a smooth glossy plastic and it sticks like crazy to this thing.
Yes, using smooth plastic works best on Clingo (Clingo warns about using textured surfaces). Unfortunately, most of the better looking cases have some texture to them so I just keep my Incredible nekid & I have no issues with it staying on Clingo. However, on long trips when I use the cigarette lighter power cord it does fall off once or twice if I don't periodically press the phone firmly on to the mount...appears the power cord pulls the phone a bit.
All in all, I really like the Clingo vent mount. Like someone said above, it really is the most attractive of mounts out there and until someone sells one that doesn't look like a bear trap, I will stick with this & just press a little harder.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones