• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

anyone regret switching to 2.1 early?

I don't have any problems. Even the google sign in i think i got past unless the past 3 times I restarted the phone it didn't show up magically. Could be the applications I have or the fact that when the phone starts I push the menu up really quick before things start to load. no freezes or glitches. Was about to make a video I am that happy. Only had it on the phone for almost a full day but have been using it a lot.

Upvote 0
No regrets at all about upgrading ... my phone is now substantially faster and more capable, and the few issues I've encountered have all been quite minor.

I honestly think that the leaked 2.1 is extremely solid. Though there are a few OS-caused issues, most of reported problems are are almost certainly from apps that simply haven't been written for compatibility with this version of 2.1. They're things that every upgrader -- OTA or not -- is going to potentially encounter, at least until the s/w developers get some updates out.

Upvote 0
I upgraded my girlfriend's Cricket Eris. Big mistake. Facebook contacts syncing are a HUGE deal to her. That's a dealbreaker right there, not having facebook contact pictures automatically.

The t9 keyboard keeps coming up by default, no matter how many times she changes it to 'ABC'. As soon as she closes the keyboard and opens it, it's right back to t9, which she doesn't use. 1.5 remembered the 'Abc' preference. 2.1 does not.

Google's log in error is a slight annoyance. But the biggest thing is that 2.1 doesn't seem to want to *228 on Cricket, and 1.5 did, just fine.

Really lame, since I can't find a Buffalo .prl file for her.

So 2.1 = Fail for her. Deal breakers with the keyboard and facebook.

My phone rocks now. The only thing bothering me is my inability to sync facebook contacts. Other than that, boosh.

Also, to the one with the jealous coworker with the Hero,

For the record, there is a Hero version of our ROM that has been adapted.

My friend has it installed, and the only problem seems to be that they can't get the Camera to work.

I assume you have to root it, and flash it. But it works great.

Upvote 0
I regret updating due to my pictures not showing up in gmail, the browser crashing randomly, losing all sound when making some phone calls, and a host of other issues. That being said, I do love some aspects of the leak. The speed is awesome, navigation is amazing....and I like being able to use the new market. It's a mixed bag...but I feel the things I lost were used more valuable to me than what I gained.

If the OTA fixes my bugs, I'll be in Heaven.

I'm very happy with the upgrade, and would not go back to 1.5, even if that were possible.

I work around the gmail problem by going to gmail on the Dolphin browser, if I need to see embedded pics. Dolphin also works better than the stock browser for me.

Upvote 0
I'm happy with the leaked upgrade to 1.2. Had it now for 1 week +
Buggy-ness I've seen.... In Favorites, I have to hit the persons name/face a couple of times to connect the call.
No problems with Facebook picts syncing up. Battery seems to last longer than before. No problems with calls (in/out).
Had success with FRING (making cell to cell calls over 3G)
So.... Its all good.:)

Upvote 0
100% regret. I loved it at first, but the dialer bug has driven me up a wall.

I timed it last night, it took 12 seconds after I hit send to connect to a phone number. Not to mention, when someone calls me and it starts to ring, it'll ring about 4 times before the screen changes to the incoming call screen. It just rings, rings, rings, on whatever screen it was last on.

I really wish I did not update now, and was able to get root like everyone else. The dialer bug is nasty.

Upvote 0
too many little bugs for me, and some bigger ones. 2.1 made my no-audio problem more than twice as bad. the phone also restarts a couple times a day for no reason. so when my replacement arrives i will be sticking with 1.5 until the official release comes out. i'm really glad i was able to test it out, though. so much faster and so many nice little features. but it needs work. certain good features were actually lost and are a step back and i hope they address those (seems you can't simply fill your phone book with just the phone contacts now, for example). and now that i've gotten a taste i can wait until the official release.

Upvote 0
too many little bugs for me, and some bigger ones. 2.1 made my no-audio problem more than twice as bad. the phone also restarts a couple times a day for no reason. so when my replacement arrives i will be sticking with 1.5 until the official release comes out. i'm really glad i was able to test it out, though. so much faster and so many nice little features. but it needs work. certain good features were actually lost and are a step back and i hope they address those (seems you can't simply fill your phone book with just the phone contacts now, for example). and now that i've gotten a taste i can wait until the official release.

It's interesting ... my phone restarted randomly once a day or so when I was running 1.5, but it hasn't done it once since upgrading to 2.1.

The variety of responses to this and a dozen other issues is puzzling in a way, since we're all basically running the same hardware here. It suggests to me that most of the problems people perceive with both 1.5 and 2.1 actually aren't the fault of the OS, but rather are caused by badly-written apps. But that's something we just have to accept when we use a platform as open as Android is.

Upvote 0
My wife had the random restarts about 2 times a day with 1.5 also, but none since I put 2.1 on her Eris. She only has the dead silence on the phone problem now. Happens to her almost everyday now and did not happen with 1.5 at all. Hoping everything gets worked out with the OTA too. Not regretting it though. Like 2.1 just fine.

Upvote 0
My wife had the random restarts about 2 times a day with 1.5 also, but none since I put 2.1 on her Eris. She only has the dead silence on the phone problem now. Happens to her almost everyday now and did not happen with 1.5 at all. Hoping everything gets worked out with the OTA too. Not regretting it though. Like 2.1 just fine.

Very interesting. I had the restart on my 1.5 way back when, got a brand new phone from VZW and never had it again. So it wasn't the OS right? Some have had this phone dead problem, some haven't such as I. Same leaked version of the OS, so what can we deduce? It has to be the hardware or something installed on the phone other than the OS. One thing to try is to reflash your wife's phone and put nothing on it for a couple of days. If it still happens, it's the hardware for sure. Right?? (Way early for me to be thinking like this.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones