• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

anyone regret switching to 2.1 early?

So after reading most of these posts and about as much as I could handle while retaining my sanity in the other 2.1 threads, I'm about to take the plunge. I'm confident that I'll either be able to receive the official OTA or download and flash the official version at some point. I was going to hold out for clean OTA, but with all the talk of 2.1 and out of sheer boredom, I'm leaning toward the leak. I don't have any desire for root, I'm just interested in all the benefits of 2.1 over 1.5.

So basically, putting it out there to see if anyone has a compelling argument to wait... I know the OTA could be any day now, but I am fully backed up and cleaned out, next step is formatting and dropping the .zip onto my card. What's the harm in joining the fun now? I'm going to give it a few hours to see if news develops since it IS a Tuesday, but before I leave work around 8 tonight, I'd like to be running 2.1 -- or changing my plan based on whatever breaks between now and then!

Upvote 0
As for the folks wanting to take their 2.1 phone back...I don't get it, sounds like some were having issues, possibly hardware related then thought a leaked OS was going to fix those issues??? That is just plain silly, would you install a beta version of windows on a pc with a faulty hard drive or video card and expect it to be all better

There have always been people who are liable to return an item they purchased, or had given to them as a gift, when the slightest thing goes wrong, or even when they just can't take the time to figure out how to properly use the item.

Cars, appliances, cell phones, clothing, jewelry, you name it. Some of those people are in here. ;)

Plus, hey, some of you guys went ahead and made a major modification to your device that was not sanctioned by the manufacturer or the carrier you purchased the device from; those who did that and now want to try to get an exchange or money for taking that chance seem less than honest.

You can make a case for doing that, for returning the Eris you can't fix after putting a leaked chunk of software in there, but it is a case not based on forthrightness.

Reactions: E.two.one
Upvote 0
@ trau. I was having a moment of weakness yesterday too, but I decided its best to wait. I would just kick myself if I installed the leak and then next week the OTA comes out and we can't get it!! Wouldn't that be infuriating? I've waited this long, I can wait another week and so can you :). But after April 1st, all bets are off!! Okay, maybe more like April 5th...

Upvote 0
yeah i would wait, it made my phone almost unusably slow. i had it on stock 1.5 for a week, then upgraded to the leak. I did like the new market and the nav, but it was harder then before to actually use my phone as a phone. I also had a huge bug where opera mobile didn't load any pages. LUCKILY for me my trackball was broken (wouldn't scroll left-common issue with the Eris i hear) so I took it back to the store and they gave me a new one.

Upvote 0
I have only been running leaked 2.1 for about 4 days now and I really like it. My battery life has really improved since I installed the 2.1. I use my phone as an alarm clock, so my phone is hardly ever turned off. Last night I went to bed and had 3 bars on the battery meter, when I woke up I had 4 bars on the battery meter. It was unplugged all night and gained a bar in power.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones