1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Anyone remove the battery yet?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by JDawggS316, Dec 26, 2011.

1. JDawggS316

JDawggS316 Newbie

I've heard that it is possible, and for root and rom users it makes a difference (at least I think it does - I'm still a noob).

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Szadzik

Szadzik Extreme Android User

It is possible. Does not matter if you root and rom, completely irrelevant.

jroc likes this.
  3. DonDraper

DonDraper Well-Known Member

The phone is barely a month old. I doubt anyone needs to swap a battery quite yet... :thinking:

jroc likes this.
  4. JDawggS316

JDawggS316 Newbie

No I am wondering if it's possible because I know on my Droid X, after flashing a new ROM and such, sometimes the phone gets stuck on the boot animation and the only way to completely power off and restart is by pulling the battery.

5. JDunc

JDunc Android Enthusiast

You're asking if anyone has taken their battery out and put it back in???

6. JDawggS316

JDawggS316 Newbie

Yep

Because what if you're stuck on the bootload animation, it seems the power button doesn't work so you have to pull the battery, put it back in, and restart up the phone.

7. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert

8. JDawggS316

JDawggS316 Newbie

So with root possible on the Razr what would be done if the phone was stuck on the bootloader animation, etc.?

9. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert

If a long press on the power button doesn't get it's attention, then I expect you're stuck waiting for the battery to run down enough that it shuts down.

10. jroc

jroc Android Expert

I removed the back with my fingers, so its not as hard as some ppl think. It does have that battery removable tab so Moto wants someone to remove it kinda easily....just not us.

If your fingernails cant fit in the seam, find something thin. All you need to do is work some of the seam up, open..... the rest is kinda easy.

11. tom108

tom108 Android Expert

Its easy to do. But not necessary.

jroc likes this.
  12. Szadzik

I would agree with this statement.

13. edstewbob

edstewbob Well-Known Member

You can do a reboot on any android phone that is hung or if you don't want to do a battery pull or can't do it in the case of the RAZR by simultaneously holding the power button and the volume down toggle for 10 seconds.

14. rushmore

rushmore Extreme Android User

It would be cool though is when the Pepsi Max... er, Razr Maxx comes out, they offer a mod to extend the battery of the current model. Perhaps a bigger back with the battery, that official stores install, but that is NOT going to happen. Would be nice, none the less.

15. Sportster

Sportster Android Enthusiast

Yea, someone has to provide a extended battery with a tad bigger cover now....would be REAL nice to get a bigger batt in there. Making a little bit 'less thin' wouldn't bother me one bit. Not if I got more run time! :D

16. edstewbob

Actually Costco already did that by offering the Motorola 1420mAh P793 external battery in their free goodies kit. It is about 2/3 the size of the RAZR so all you have to do is rubber band it on the back, of your beautiful phone or scotch tape it on with double sided tape and voila you got yourself a nice battery backup that goes wherever you go and only doubles the thickness of your phone. As you can see from this photo the rubber bands don't inhibit the viewing screen too badly but clear rubber bands would be better. I was considering a dab of epoxy to attach it but haven't tried that yet.

[​IMG]

17. momogrl

momogrl Lurker

It has the little tab and I pulled it nd da little orange thing ripped

18. edstewbob

Bummer.

19. Sportster

Sportster Android Enthusiast

"Yea,hi,I'm looking for a cover that will cover the Razr and the external battery 'taped' to the backside. Don't have anything even close to that? Oh well,ok,thanks....."

This is a joke I'm hoping....:cool:

20. edstewbob

Yea this is a joke with the rubber bands but I bought the PowerGen which at 2900mAh is a pretty good battery backup. I prefer to carry the battery backup separately since it is so small, I don't need it too often, and I prefer my phone naked. I mentioned some of the characteristics of the PowerGen at http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-razr/466285-extended-battery-options.html#post3677737
    Some people have opted for a larger battery backup with more mAh but I prefer something smaller and this unit should charge up the RAZR from 20-30% battery level at least twice.

21. Szadzik

Anker Slim talk. You can strap it to the back of the Razr, fits perfectly.

22. edstewbob

I got the Power Gen because it is 5.5 mm thinner than the Anker. 10.5 mm vs 16 mm.

23. annabomber

annabomber Lurker

Be really careful. It's not as bad as removing the back of an iPod, but you don't want to break or crack any of the little clips that hold it in place. There's quite a few clips but if you break one, you'll have a gap into your phone in a really bad spot.

Power + Volume Down for 20 seconds also mimics a battery pull. It doesn't bring up the Power Off menu, but works like holding the power button on a PC for a few seconds, it just cuts power to the device to power it off.

24. annabomber

annabomber Lurker

Oh wow. :p Honestly, the fact that it's a quarter-inch thick was what sold me on this versus the GNex (that and the Kevlar back). Quite frankly I hate that iPods' battery covers are non-removable, and is one of the reasons I'll never get an iPhone. I was pretty soured when I saw this about the Razr, but it's not as difficult to remove as Apple devices so I'm giving it a shot.

25. bakertech90

bakertech90 Lurker

I also ripped the orange tab to my battery and now I have to use my old phone =/ I can't find any aftermarket batteries anywhere

Motorola Droid RAZR Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews