1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Anyone still experiencing heat issues???

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by KMPrenger, Aug 10, 2011.

1. KMPrenger

KMPrenger Member
    None

Jul 29, 2011
    I'm considering this as my next phone, but I've read mulitple theads where owners talk about their Atrix becoming very warm or even so hot that the phone will shut itself down to cool off.

Some people say its just the nature of the phone, but heat is probably the word for hardware components and can shorten the lifespan considerably.

Some say to turn off certain features, like GPS and that will help keep the phone cool.

Can anyone comment on this for me? Has motorola done anything since launch to fight off this heat issue? Has anyone of you experienced this?

Thanks

Advertisement

2. kilasix9

kilasix9 Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 23, 2010
    Male
    Sales
    Miami
    My phone gets warm, towards the bottom corner (I think thats where the battery contacts are) if and only when I've had the screen on for an extended period of time. So like if I'm playing a game, or browsing, watching video, etc. The lenght of time it takes for it to start getting warm is usually about 30 minutes. I've never pushed it to the point where I'd consider it to get 'hot'.

Doesn't shut off on me. Usually if I've been on the phone that long and its getting warm, I'll just give it a break. Since I'm rarely on my phone for more than 30 minutes at a time, it's not a major concern of mine.

3. KMPrenger

KMPrenger Member
    None

Jul 29, 2011
    Appreciate the response.

I wouldn't be a heavy user, and doubt I'd run the phone very hard for very long either. I guess I just want to make sure the thing isn't going to slowly kill itself due to an excess of heat over time.

4. WolfmanRobby

WolfmanRobby Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 7, 2010
    Male
    Systems Admin.
    Atlanta, GA
    I've never had mine overheat to the point of shutting down.

However, it does get warm if you overwork it. Think about how hot the CPU in your computer get's when you work it hard. The Atrix has a Dual core CPU, more powerful than most netbooks have. And, it does not have a huge heatsink, or even a fan on it.

Mine get's really hot when I'm using the heck out of it. Example, I was streaming Pandora over 4G, while using Google Maps for navigation. This worked the radio (Pandora and google maps pulling data) as well as the GPS radio, and the display staying on. Not to mention that I had it plugged into the car charger (That will heat any phone up).

It got hot enough that I was worried the back would melt. But, as soon as I let it rest (Closed Pandora and google maps and turned off the GPS), it cooled down in about a minute.

egDonald likes this.
  5. itsallgood

itsallgood Android Expert
    None

Jan 27, 2011
    Same here. The most mine has heated up was 117 degrees running Pandora, using Google maps, GPS, screen on at 10 to 20% brightness and plugged in. (Not to mention the 20 widgets I have updating in the background.) From my experience, you have to consider the environment as well. Like my phone runs hotter when in the car dock just from the heat of the sun beating on it or the heat from the dash board. Perfect example, I drove for 4 hrs during the day using GPS, Google maps and hooked up to the charger. Screen brightness was at 0% and I had the air-conditioning on, with one of the vents pointed up on the back of the phone. (Never got warm and stayed charged at 100%.) I have an Outterbox Commuter Case that I don

egDonald likes this.
  6. Jazonknight

Jazonknight Newbie
    None

Jul 28, 2011
    Mine gets very hot to touch and I have a ottobox case on it but never seems to affect the phone probably because its like a pocket videocard lol plus i am pretty sure it can withstand alot of heat. Never shutdown on me either due to heat .

7. KMPrenger

KMPrenger Member
    None

Jul 29, 2011
    Motorolla says it will go into "cooldown mode" after 136 degrees. Man thats hot, but OK as long as its not too hot too often.

Thats my concern. I don't want to be a year to year 1/2 into owning the device and it die on me lol. I don't think I'd have that issue, but its just a concern of mine. Thanks for the comments people.

8. WolfmanRobby

WolfmanRobby Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 7, 2010
    Male
    Systems Admin.
    Atlanta, GA
    Not to sound like a smart @$$, but if it's that big of a concern, then don't buy any phone with a dual core CPU in it.

Like I said, you are running a CPU that is as powerful, if not more powerful, than most netbooks, and even some laptops in a phone without a massive heatsink or fan.

It's not just the Atrix, it's any phone with a dual core chip. People will see this in the iPhones, if they ever put a multicore chip in there.

9. KMPrenger

KMPrenger Member
    None

Jul 29, 2011
    One of my interests is computer hardware, and I do programming for a living. I've built my last three PC desktops myself. So I understand why the processor gets hot, and also how heat can be a bad thing for hardware components.

Sorry, but multicore doesn't automatically mean much hotter temps. The old pentium 4 single cores and dual core pentium Ds used to run as hot or hotter than todays MUCH more powerful dual and quad core processors. It is the design and also how the cores are utilized that make the difference.

I don't mean to sound like I'm knocking the Atrix. I'm not...I'm just trying to gather up more user feedback and I appreciate your responses. Still highly interested in this phone but it will be the end of the month or later before I make a buying decision. This vs the LG Thrill versus the SGSII. This one has size and price on its side for me.