• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone switching to Cricket /Zte Blade X Max

Looks like the z981 has updated to 7.1.1 Nougat via a new device (Zte Blade X Max),one can purchase at Cricket wireless for 150 us dollars or 100 us dollars if you port your number from a competior.
So don't expect 7.0 on the zmax pro.
There are (3) similar phones so far in 2017. All with the same excellent 6" display. Cricket version you mentioned and a CDMA phone on Boost.
The other model is on US Cellular and seems to have better specs. Blade Max3.
SD625, 4000 mah battery.
I hope we will see an improved Zmax pro. It's not yet a year old, and the new Cricket phone is not an improvement.

Upvote 0
Not worth switching carriers just to get the same phone with an updated OS. Not unless you already has plans to switch to Cricket.

In my area it's a toss up. But, TMO/Metro seem to have faster LTE. Cricket + Blade Max is a decent combo for some people though. Just a shame ZTE hasn't released a REAL upgrade yet.

I'd like to see an improved camera (dual lens) and NFC.

Reactions: jhgfrtu and tube517
Upvote 0
Not worth switching carriers just to get the same phone with an updated OS. Not unless you already has plans to switch to Cricket.

In my area it's a toss up. But, TMO/Metro seem to have faster LTE. Cricket + Blade Max is a decent combo for some people though. Just a shame ZTE hasn't released a REAL upgrade yet.

I'd like to see an improved camera (dual lens) and NFC.
Im not switching for a 1.4 octa core and nougat 7.1.1 nor crickets high priced plans. I like metros plans better. BUT IF THERE IS ROOT ILL BUY IT AND UNLOCK IT. Then bring it to MetroPCS.

Upvote 0
Im not switching for a 1.4 octa core and nougat 7.1.1 nor crickets high priced plans. I like metros plans better. BUT IF THERE IS ROOT ILL BUY IT AND UNLOCK IT. Then bring it to MetroPCS.
If there was root then the z983 would be the identical phone to the zmax pro for building. Like the zte vec was to the first zmax z970

Reactions: tube517
Upvote 0
I just switched to cricket from metro pcs and brought my ZMAX pro with me (unlocked via included app because was with metro at least 3 months) and so far it's working great, I get a better signal in my house with cricket. Zmax forever I am waiting for an upgrade on the camera too, otherwise just hanging on to the pro, I like the zmax pro

Upvote 0
I just switched to cricket from metro pcs and brought my ZMAX pro with me (unlocked via included app because was with metro at least 3 months) and so far it's working great, I get a better signal in my house with cricket. Zmax forever I am waiting for an upgrade on the camera too, otherwise just hanging on to the pro, I like the zmax pro
Good luck on the switch .. They Max data to up to 8mb in download speeds.. With metro I see over 46 mb in download speeds. I had cricket in 2014 and the talk and text was superb.
I also liked the text option for 7 extra days when you don't refill your service by the due date.
I left them because of MetroPCS truly unlmited plan for only 50 us dollars. Cricket wants 70..

Upvote 0
Jhg.... They now have unlimited for $55. I didn't know about the extended days of text, I wonder if they still do that. The high speed was why I liked metro but for me the coverage was very spotty in my house with metro, barley got 1 bar lte if I got it and a little better with regular 4g in certain areas of the house (literally one side of couch no signal at all and a couple bars other side of couch) With cricket I get 4 or 5 bars of lte every inch of my house so much better but I know it's probably just my area and everyone's experience would be different. I don't notice a slow upload/download speed with cricket but maybe that's because my signal is great with them.

Reactions: jhgfrtu
Upvote 0
Jhg.... They now have unlimited for $55. I didn't know about the extended days of text, I wonder if they still do that. The high speed was why I liked metro but for me the coverage was very spotty in my house with metro, barley got 1 bar lte if I got it and a little better with regular 4g in certain areas of the house (literally one side of couch no signal at all and a couple bars other side of couch) With cricket I get 4 or 5 bars of lte every inch of my house so much better but I know it's probably just my area and everyone's experience would be different. I don't notice a slow upload/download speed with cricket but maybe that's because my signal is great with them.

Just unlock your metro phone after having it for 3 months and bring it to cricket. You'll be able to share your internet without them knowing nor paying the extra $10 for hotspot.

Reactions: Heather Payne
Upvote 0
Screenshot_2017-07-19-03-07-33.png
Screenshot_2017-07-19-03-09-18.png
Just unlock your metro phone after having it for 3 months and bring it to cricket. You'll be able to share your internet without them knowing nor paying the extra $10 for hotspot.

T-Mobile/MetroPCS service is a bit better than ATT/Cricket.
Im my area at least
I love my unlimited truly data plan. My data never gets throttled. Even when metro sends that 32 gb text limit. My speeds were never prioritized. Use T-Mobile apn and your unlimited all month long with no noticable slow downs in speeds.
So unlimited data, the ability to tether without restrictions, data speeds average 3.7 mb during peak hours (7:30 am -9pm)and 48 mb during off peak hours. (9pm-7am)
Streaming low to mid quality videos requires at least 300 kbs ..
Again im happy with MetroPCS. They have come along way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jhg I have successfully unlocked the bootloader on Cricket's ZTE Z983. It's in the developer options.
Actually almost all new phones since 2012 has had an option to unlock the bootloader. That's just part 1 .
Part 2 is the mystery.
Each oem/ device has a unique way to access the bootloader.
The option inside the phone only applies if one has already un-locked the bootloader and when you need to access it, one at that time can tick the option.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
WTH yall talking bout cricket way better then metro by far AT&T 50x better then TMobile ever were i go with my phone is with cricket data faster then hell dont slow down at all 55 a month rollin with zte blade x max all day yall just have defected phone r some crap if u think metro data faster then at&t for reals r just dumb

Upvote 0
WTH yall talking bout cricket way better then metro by far AT&T 50x better then TMobile ever were i go with my phone is with cricket data faster then hell dont slow down at all 55 a month rollin with zte blade x max all day yall just have defected phone r some crap if u think metro data faster then at&t for reals r just dumb

Depends on the area. Cricket sucks in my area. For reals.

Upvote 0
cricket bad ass ever were i go n i go outside the US even south Padre island out middle of water badass

ive had at&t sprint Verizon boost cleartalk straighttalk qlink virgin Mobile t mobile this one thats only here that at&t bought out few others cricket by far the best out all 14 providers ive had in 32yrs i almost got metro my friend had it at time i was thinking bout changeing to cricket r metro one got cricket n was the right one to he left metro just 6weeks ago for cricket to now that i had my cricket phone n way better ever were we went n i go out n the ocean on sail boat metro sucks cricket rolling go to Mexico, Scottland , Canada , Alaska , south afica and just change sim out n works fine friends metro not shit be used mine u just go lucky r something cuz ever were i take my cricket phone works better then metro 5000000% better

Upvote 0
In Las Vegas MetroPCS works great. T-Mobile is a major player in this town. They even have an entire stadium that uses their name: T-Mobile Arena.

Cricket is the next best option. It isn't bad service. I think MetroPCS and Cricket are the best prepaid options around. BYOD is a bit better on Cricket because you can swap SIMS without needing to call customer service and there are more devices that support AT&T bands.

Reactions: tube517
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones