• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone think the screen is too dim?

I went and played with the T-Mobile version today and compared to my Droid X. Wow, there is a significant brightness difference between the two displays. I couldn't take the demo outside, but even indoors I had to have it on full brightness. I'll have to play with it for 13 days and decide weather or not to keep it.
How disappointing. I thought the screen was going to be one of its best features and turns out to be one of the worst, in terms of brightness. I don't care about it being Pentile.

There is no comparison between the S3 and a DX in terms of the screen lol...

The S3 makes the DX look like diluted water color paints

Upvote 0
There is no comparison between the S3 and a DX in terms of the screen lol...

The S3 makes the DX look like diluted water color paints
I fully agree on the colors, but then again, there is no comparison on the brightness either. The S3 is low beam, DX is high beam headlights.
My DX vs. S3. Both full brightness on setting and internet settings. You'll never know how dim the S3 is until you hold it next to a device with an LCD/IPS. All AMOLED seem pretty dim comparatively, Razr HD, etc.
I do have a Note 2 arriving tomorrow and will just have to deal with it.
IMG_20120808_134845_557.jpg

IMG_20120808_134958_816.jpg

Upvote 0
I've tried 4 different S3 in 4 different stores. Seems bright till you hold it next to something not AMOLED.

I'll try to remember and dig out my DX when I get home from work and see how it looks compared to that

But I will say the DX looks awful on full brightness...

Overall brightness is not as important as contrast ratios...

A Plasma TV.. will never get as bright as an LCD TV...but makes up for it and then some with contrast...

Black level is of equal (or more so IMO) than overall brightness...

The DX has AWFUL contrast...and i used to think it was quite a good screen

Upvote 0
The screen on the SGS3 at 100% brightness is about equal to an iPhone at 50% brightness. I find that I have some difficulty seeing the screen outside on a bright sunny day if the sun shines right on the screen. It takes a while for my eyes to adjust and then I can see it better. My Nokia N97 was really good outside. I would say the SGS3 is a little worse compared to the HTC Desire Z outside in the sun.

Upvote 0
If you compare other colors, it is apparent the DX is washed out, very washed out. You can't compare white since the S3 is incapable of displaying white, just gray.
IMG_20120808_134933_511.jpg

IMG_20120808_134941_622.jpg

IMG_20120808_134952_106.jpg

These pictures, which I created, is why I returned the S3, that an poor signal.
If you can live with that, it is a great phone.
I decided to get the Note 2. According to GSM Arena, the cd/m2 or brightness of the note 2 is 402 while the S3 is 330 (18% brighter). The pathetic phone is the Galaxy Nexus which is only 247!!! For comparison, the iPhone 5 is 640.

Upvote 0
Crappy screen on the S3 is exactly why I bought the Note 2, remarkable difference in the two displays, but if you compare the Note 2 to say the iPhone 5 then the Note 2 doesn't look as bright but I love the over saturation of colors on just about any Samsung compared to the retina, the retina just looks flat and lifeless to me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones