• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone thinking of selling their N1?

Without physical specs, hardware specs, actually seeing the device, there isn't a chance I wouldn't sell my N1 right now. I have said it before and I will say it again, wait, wait, wait until at least Q1 of 2011. I firmly believe there is awesome technology right around the corner. Unless Samsung really worked hard on the NS and put an orion chip in it, it will only be top of it's game for a very short time. And if you don't believe any of that then you should at least wait to see how Gingerbread runs on the N1.

Upvote 0
When I can get my hands on a vanilla droid that does stuff I want that my N1 can't. Right now can't think of anything. the inferior GPU (compared to the latest handsets) doesn't bother me as I don't game (buttons FTW!) on my phone and the proc still seems plenty fast to me.

Also my carrier (in Oz) is using the same freq as AT&T and it seems like half of the new whizbang droids don't have the 850Mhz band.

After getting so used to vanilla droid it would be soooo painful to go to any manufacturer's customised / possibly feature locked firmware. The only one I would remotely consider is HTC sense and thats primarily because they seem to be quickest off the mark re: keeping up with vanilla updates. I know about rooting etc. but the great thing about vanilla is that there is no real need, froyo with JIT and wifi tethering, don't see the point in bothering.

One thing I would say (and the superthin Nexus S is not encouraging): stop with the fashion obsession and give us some decent batteries, I don't care if my phone is a couple of mm thicker or whatever, I'd much rather be able to say get through 48 hours without charging than the current state of affairs whereby if you don't charge your phone as you go to sleep its dead or almost dead in the morning. And yes thats with turning off wifi BT GPS sync etc when you go to sleep. And no I'm not turning off that stuff during the day, if I didn't want sync and wifi etc. I'd be rockin' a candybar nokia ;)

Upvote 0
This:
Exclusive: LG's 4-inch Android phone with dual-core Tegra 2 and 1080p video coming in early 2011 -- Engadget

is exactly what I am talking about. If the NS's specs don't come close to this phone then it's not even worth it. There is going to be awesome technology in Q1.

Yeah but at what expense i'm willing to bet anything that phone will be crippled and have some of its main features blocked or rigged so that you have to pay the carrier to use them. I said it before and i'll say it again if you want a real android experience go with the nexus. I know there are gonna be plenty of awesome phones coming out in 2011 but the fact that their under carrier dictatorship doesn't appeal to me.

Iphone= pure apple

phone7= pure wimdows

Nexus 1/s = pure android. Every other android phone is a bastardasation imo :) I dont care how much faster or fully loaded they are if it doesn't say simply "google" on the back I'm all set

Upvote 0
i'm not selling my n1 until they come out with a phone that is significant step up. there is nothing that has come out recently that is better than the n1 for my needs.

with samsung being the manufacturer of the n2/ns, i'm probably going to keep my n1 for the foreseeable future. i hate samsung, i hate 'em, i hate 'em, i hate 'em, i hate 'em!

Upvote 0
i'm not selling my n1 until they come out with a phone that is significant step up. there is nothing that has come out recently that is better than the n1 for my needs.

with samsung being the manufacturer of the n2/ns, i'm probably going to keep my n1 for the foreseeable future. i hate samsung, i hate 'em, i hate 'em, i hate 'em, i hate 'em!

-i totally agree-
Samsung provides good specs ,but cheap handcrafting ...i work at a phone reseller and have plenty of time to play with all the phones i can ,true galaxy s WAS faster on 2.1 than my N1 on 2.1 when i first got it ,but after the up-date on 2.2 [both] ,my nexus is better on performance ...on 2.2.1 i don't even bother to say anything ,the nexus rules ...gonna wait for that 2.3 update to see how much juice it offers to our devices.
Anyway ,samsung is good ,but CHEAP ! Why buy thin plastic for 5-6 or 700E ,when i can keep my "tank" ?

-forgot to mention-
The nexus is one of the few ,actually very few HTC phones that are almost perfectly built !
If you don't trust me ,compare the "desire" to the nexus ,look at buttons and how they are placed ,at the screen ,battery cover ..and convince yourself !

Upvote 0
-i totally agree-
Samsung provides good specs ,but cheap handcrafting ...i work at a phone reseller and have plenty of time to play with all the phones i can ,true galaxy s WAS faster on 2.1 than my N1 on 2.1 when i first got it ,but after the up-date on 2.2 [both] ,my nexus is better on performance ...on 2.2.1 i don't even bother to say anything ,the nexus rules ...gonna wait for that 2.3 update to see how much juice it offers to our devices.
Anyway ,samsung is good ,but CHEAP ! Why buy thin plastic for 5-6 or 700E ,when i can keep my "tank" ?

-forgot to mention-
The nexus is one of the few ,actually very few HTC phones that are almost perfectly built !
If you don't trust me ,compare the "desire" to the nexus ,look at buttons and how they are placed ,at the screen ,battery cover ..and convince yourself !

From all of the Android Phones on the (Canadian) Market, I find the Nexus One the best aesthetically.

I think Samsung went for weight with the plastic with the SGS line. Since most people want thinner, lighter and faster phones.

Upvote 0
I think Samsung went for weight with the plastic with the SGS line. Since most people want thinner, lighter and faster phones.

Maybe i'm strange ...but i will never buy a phone because it's lightweight ,i like phones [like the iphone] that feel robust ,well built ...lightweight in my point of view ,and others in this forum ,is : poor batt life ,squeeking sounds ,bad materials [like nokia for ex. ,recycled crap].

I don't mind at all the +50 grams. :)

Upvote 0
I think the only thing that'll make me upgrade is a dual core processor @ 1GHz each or one core @ 1.8GHz or more. I won't upgrade until that's what's available. I'll assume that the other features will be included by the time that processor speed is available such as front facing camera, NFC, HSPA+ or 4G, HD video, better screen, etc.

Upvote 0
Maybe i'm strange ...but i will never buy a phone because it's lightweight ,i like phones [like the iphone] that feel robust ,well built ...lightweight in my point of view ,and others in this forum ,is : poor batt life ,squeeking sounds ,bad materials [like nokia for ex. ,recycled crap].

I don't mind at all the +50 grams. :)

nokia and crap?

my wife has an e71 and i'd say it's probably the best constructed phone i've ever felt.

Upvote 0
if it means anything, I just went from the Captivate to an ATT N1. The galaxy S phones are horrid - broken GPS and slow-ass file system which makes it CRAWL (even with lagfixes).

This makes me question why SamEsung were given rights to be the next Nexus. Horrible QA, and uninspiring design.

Upvote 0
nokia and crap?

my wife has an e71 and i'd say it's probably the best constructed phone i've ever felt.

I switched to my N1 after almost 2 years with the E71 and not only do I agree with you, I still feel its one of the sexiest phones I've seen. All these flat screen smartphones generally look the same to me. They're all a bit boring to my eyes but how much can a designer do with a flat screen?

Anyway, I doubt I'll switch phones anytime soon. My N1 has spoiled me in a big way:p

About the only thing that'll ruin it for me is ATT's service, both customer and call/data:rolleyes:

PS, I have been surprised at some of Nokia's cheaper plastic phones though. Maybe thats what razvan was referring too?:thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones