• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone thinking twice about the EVO?

Kazrell

Apr 14, 2010
White Plains
I'm currently a iPhone junky whose already pre-paid @ BB for the new EVO. I love what it offers in features/specs - but I've always been a bit reserved about joining Sprints network because of past network issues. With the recent sighting of the Verizon Shadow have any of you second guessed yourself in signing up for the EVO?

I know the Shadow won't be a 4G device, but I'm in New York in live in westchester - so I won't have access to a 4G network short term - and long term even if I do - it will be for the time I'm at work in the city.

What do you guys think?

I'm currently a iPhone junky whose already pre-paid @ BB for the new EVO. I love what it offers in features/specs - but I've always been a bit reserved about joining Sprints network because of past network issues. With the recent sighting of the Verizon Shadow have any of you second guessed yourself in signing up for the EVO?

I know the Shadow won't be a 4G device, but I'm in New York in live in westchester - so I won't have access to a 4G network short term - and long term even if I do - it will be for the time I'm at work in the city.

What do you guys think?

For about 30 seconds when I heard about the evo fee. Other than that no. Sprint has great covereage in my city and I even get 3g out in the sticks.

Reactions: Kazrell
Upvote 0

What do you guys think?

I used to have to test Motorola phones in a past life. The shadow is another brick delivered by Motorola. I am sorry to say but even if it had a 2 GIG processor in it I still wouldn't buy Motorola. Well unless I need a good paper weight. I got to hold the demo mock up of the evo the other day and the form factor is perfect even for a larger then life phone. That's my 2 cents.

Upvote 0
i thougth about it more than twice... big old evo banner inside my head its annoying its been that way since ctia....

I hear that. I think about the EVO all the time, much more than twice!

Second guessing, no .. but I am guessing about how much I am going to enjoy the phone. (Right now, my guess is A LOT)

Upvote 0
The Shadow will be a nice device. The Galaxy S will be a nicer device, though.

Any marketing guru will tell you that brand royalty is huge.

I honestly think my generation of smartphone buyer (ppl that started around the time of the q6600) probably has more loyalty toward HTC. I know I do.

I have owned more POS samsung phones than I can count and i hated the only moto device ive ever owned (razr). You can bet as long as there is an HTC option, I will not be buying from those two companies.

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for the comments.
I guess the best thing about this whole thing is that when I do port over on June 4th (as early as possible) - if i find that the network isn't great in my area where i live and work - I have 30 days to return in without any fee or restrictions. Full refund.

Meantime - you guys will be happy to note that my iPhone (3g) will be turned into a permanent car music player. I use it alot now for that purpose, now it can just stay in the car.;)

Upvote 0
Any marketing guru will tell you that brand royalty is huge.

I honestly think my generation of smartphone buyer (ppl that started around the time of the q6600) probably has more loyalty toward HTC. I know I do.

I have owned more POS samsung phones than I can count and i hated the only moto device ive ever owned (razr). You can bet as long as there is an HTC option, I will not be buying from those two companies.

dude, are you sure you don't secretly work for them? HTC that is...well maybe not, b/c you would have an EVO right now.

I feel the same way about Apple products in general. Which is why having a viable choice (unlike PC's) is such a great thing - competition brings out the best in companies and people.

Upvote 0
Meantime - you guys will be happy to note that my iPhone (3g) will be turned into a permanent car music player. I use it alot now for that purpose, now it can just stay in the car.;)

Only reason I would ever consider an Ipod, Though I wouldnt be surprised to see car stereos come with bluetooth compatibilty with android sometime soon.

Upvote 0
Only reason I would ever consider an Ipod, Though I wouldnt be surprised to see car stereos come with bluetooth compatibilty with android sometime soon.

@ the NY Car Show last month I saw a car with a built in slot for an iPhone or iTouch. It was pretty sweet in that while playing music a call comes in and the music volume slowly goes down and the call comes in and you can speak directly to the air as they have two way speakers in the car. I think technology like this will be wide spread in a couple of years. Not that it does anything more than connecting your iPhone or iTouch does with a aux cable cord if your car has one, but the convience of speaking into the air without modelling around for a bluetooth is really grand.

Upvote 0
No second guessing, and I am as excited as ever! The weeks can't go by fast enough right now! I agree with SirSlayer; all of the Motorola phones I have owned were sub-par and I have never been happy with them for even the most basic things like call clarity. It seems like with the Droid and the new Shadow, they may have fixed some of the quality control issues, but I definitely try to stay away from Motorola phones still. I've owned two prior HTC phones and absolutely LOVED them from top to bottom. I think they're doing great, and look forward to most of their hardware releases.

I'm also not a huge fan of Verizon as a company in itself, not really sure why...just a stigma that started when they used to always cripple every device they released. I was actually going to put all that behind and pickup a Verizon Nexus One, but it never came out, and then I started looking into Sprint's new reputation and service in my area and it sounded like a good prospect matched with the EVO 4G. I'm willing to give Sprint a shot for service and see how they pan out. I've heard great things about them in the Bay Area, and my parents have been using Sprint w/ "dumb" phones for 12+ years.

Pre-ordered 2 EVO 4g's, one for myself, one for my girlfriend. I think she's looking forward to their arrival so that I will finally shut up about the EVO. I think I started to get a little out of hand when I wanted to name our new puppy "Evo" :-D She put a quick end to that one though!

Upvote 0
@ the NY Car Show last month I saw a car with a built in slot for an iPhone or iTouch. It was pretty sweet in that while playing music a call comes in and the music volume slowly goes down and the call comes in and you can speak directly to the air as they have two way speakers in the car. I think technology like this will be wide spread in a couple of years. Not that it does anything more than connecting your iPhone or iTouch does with a aux cable cord if your car has one, but the convience of speaking into the air without modelling around for a bluetooth is really grand.

Palm pre could do something similar. Sometimes. Sort of. LoL. It is supposed to be able to use its speakerphone mic when a call comes in whether you are listening to music or nav when plugged into a 3.5mm jack. Of course, this was the pre, so it rarely worked the way it was supposed to.

Upvote 0
Palm pre could do something similar. Sometimes. Sort of. LoL. It is supposed to be able to use its speakerphone mic when a call comes in whether you are listening to music or nav when plugged into a 3.5mm jack. Of course, this was the pre, so it rarely worked the way it was supposed to.

Ha, I didn't even know that was possible until I got a call one day and was able to talk to my friend without doing anything! I have a Scion TC which came with a cord to plug in MP3 players and it works perfectly with my Pre. I'm hoping it will do the same with the EVO. If it doesn't, it's not a big deal though because I usually just listen to music from my Zune.

Upvote 0
Ha, I didn't even know that was possible until I got a call one day and was able to talk to my friend without doing anything! I have a Scion TC which came with a cord to plug in MP3 players and it works perfectly with my Pre. I'm hoping it will do the same with the EVO. If it doesn't, it's not a big deal though because I usually just listen to music from my Zune.

I've never had a Android device and all the critics/reviews have said that the music/video player is lacking compared to a iPhone. But that one feature of slowly pausing the music playing when you get a call is really basic, I would be really surprised if the EVO didn't have that feature.

Upvote 0

I actually made my own wired speakerphone for the car. I bought a 6 foot camcorder a/v cable from amazon for $2 and hacked it up a bit. The red rca jack became the mic input (I used a mic I had around the house, but you could easily buy one on amazon or something) leaving the white as the left audio rca and the yellow as the right audio rca. My aux input through my Alpine is RCA, so I stopped there, but obviously you could just use an RCA to 3.5 mm if you needed. I just routed the wire under my dash and mounted it. Works great. Audio comes though the car speakers and everyone says the call quality is great. I like not having to deal with BT.

Upvote 0
I love what it offers in features/specs - but I've always been a bit reserved about joining Sprints network because of past network issues.

You have reservations about joining Sprints network? Coming from AT&T? Really?

At least Sprint's network in NYC didn't burn to the ground all at once.

Get EVO. Get Sprint. Save money. Be happy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones