1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Support anyone turn off 4G...?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by emburybrett, Mar 6, 2012.

1. emburybrett

emburybrett Well-Known Member

I have had my maxx for just about two weeks now and was just wondering if any one is like me and turned off the 4g... when i have it on i get just about a day but without it im getting over two days. Does anyone mind not having 4G? (I have been with att for the longest time and dont mind the slower downloads) Also whats your battery time with 4G on and off?

Advertisement

2. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert

4G is a known battery hog, so you'll definitely get better battery life with it off than with it on.
    However I don't see the point of buying a top-end phone just to turn off the most top-end aspect of it, just so it can go two days without a charge.
    Turn on 4g and charge it every day. If you can't get a full day out of a charge, then arrange to have a charger near you during the day, if possible. If not, then turn off 4G when your battery gets down to some low percentage of charge, so that it will stay usable until you get to a charger.

3. emburybrett

Well i have been with At&t for a while and they never had 4G where i lived and their 3G is really bad up here in Fort wayne so i when i came to verizon getting 10 to 15 Mbps downloading is nice to have, but I think that my 1.5 to 2 Mbps is just fine... It's also 3 to 4 times as fast then At&t at my home.

4. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert

I guess it's all in what you're used to having.
    :)

Me, I'm a speed junky. err.. download speed, that is. :D
    I change settings so that syncs and automatic updates don't happen as often, to save on battery so that I can get through a full day without the need to recharge. But when it comes to turning off 4G, not gonna!

5. emburybrett

i would be to if i could have gotten an unlimited data plan that i had with att but here with verizon only 4GB... so i have to cut down some with att i was using 12 GB

6. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert

Yes, that would make a difference. I've been on Verizon for just short of a billion years, so I'm on one of their old unlimited plans. At home I'm on wifi, so that's not an issue anyway.

7. old.blue

old.blue Well-Known Member

Same here. I've been using VZW for years, and got grandfathered in with an unlimited data plan. I usually run 4G all the time, but I do have a smart action setup to turn off data when my power level drops to 25%.

8. steveo42

steveo42 Well-Known Member

No 4G where I live so I turned it off.
    However, LOT's of wireless about so I use that.

9. steelpastor

steelpastor Newbie

+1... Me too. I turned off the 4G and still really dig this phone. My first android phone, so there is a learning curve... but really dig it.

10. jayDInc

jayDInc Newbie

I did this early on. I'd only turn on 4G when downloading something large or doing certain web stuff. However, I recently switched back to leaving 4G on and I'm not noticing a big battery drain like before. I easily could make it through 2 days...unless I play a lot of PvZ. :)

11. PeninaD

PeninaD Member

I've been keeping 4G off because of lack of coverage in my area, but I had the pleasure of being in a known 4G area on Monday, so I temporarily turned it on. I was quite pleased by the speed increase, and really was putting the phone through its paces without a huge difference in battery usage. Hoping VZW does get 4G in my area soon.

12. nickstanley

nickstanley Well-Known Member

I keep my 4g off when I'm at work but turn it on when I am out and about. I generally have around 40% left on the battery when I plug it in before bed

13. steelpastor

steelpastor Newbie

Is there an app to toggle 4G on/off? Something for homescreen?

14. emburybrett

I use 4G Toggle By: We Make Better Apps...
    it's one of the only ones that works with this phone.

15. TheHoodedClaw

TheHoodedClaw Well-Known Member

Wouldn't going into settings and choosing CDMA only, rather than CDMA/LTE work? I'm changing planes while traveling to A city with no 4G, so I am interested.

16. steelpastor

steelpastor Newbie

I did this... works great.

17. euph_22

euph_22 Android Expert

It would.
    But if there is no 4G available it shouldn't make any difference (not that it really hurts to turn if off just in case).

18. FenwayPhil

FenwayPhil Newbie

I live in Queens NY and 4G is always available but comparing certain things I have noticed that I only notice a difference in speed when I'm downloading something. It's just a slight change. I usually leave my phone on 3G since I love long battery life. I'm kind of a battery life junkie. Luckily I am grandfathered in Verizons unlimited data plan as well. But I'm curious, How much data does Verizon give for new phone plans and customers? I have 5 phones on my plan and my wife wants to get a smart phone soon so I'm not sure how much data she will get with a new smart phone. Thanks!

19. My MAXX is coming soon! Question.. if I live in a 3G area, will 4G be on as well or do I need to turn 4G off? Can Smart Actions turn on 4G automatically based on a GPS location?

20. b8b

b8b Newbie

Both great questions! Does anyone have the answers?

21. bcltoys

bcltoys Android Enthusiast

I'm in a 3g only area I leave it on with no problem's.As far as smart action's I don't use them.