1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Anyone upgraded to 5.0 yet?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by xe0n, Oct 20, 2014.

1. xe0n

xe0n Lurker

Howdy all.

I am on my second day of using lollipop (5.0) on my Nexus 5, so far no crashes or issues. Nexus 7[2013] seems to be holding up ok with 5.0. Little bit glitch when scrolling between screens but I am sure it will get patched when the official version rolls out.

So how have you all found it?, Anyone using this full-time on their Nexus 5 or 7?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. iwoloschin

iwoloschin Well-Known Member

I'm using it fulltime. The biggest annoyance is my Hangouts Voice settings got screwed up, so I wasn't hearing phone calls for a few days. Seem to have worked that out now though. Everything else seems to be working pretty smoothly.

3. Hook

Hook Ever since DU... ;-)

Not that interested in a developer preview no matter how close to done it is. ;) The question is, will I flash the official release or wait for the first Dirty Unicorns version. :D

4. Sc00ter

Sc00ter Newbie

I'm really curious to see if there will be an improvement of the battery.

5. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Using it fulltime as well. Lollipop is fantastic :)

6. chukka63

chukka63 Android Enthusiast

what's so fantastic about it ?

7. xe0n

xe0n Lurker

[​IMG]

Not doing bad so far battery wise. It came of charge about two hours ago. Doubtful I will get a full days use but its still an improvement.
    I'm a heavy user so drain the battery pretty easily. The smart view does not help but overall it's slightly better.

8. xe0n

xe0n Lurker

One word....... Material ! ;)
    That aside and being serious, it feels a bit more streamlined. Also, from an administration point of view its perfect. I support 250 android devices from phones to tablets at my work and the ability to finally have users for phones is a godsend for locking down. Especially with our users who manage to royally screw their phones.

9. BynoUK

BynoUK Android Enthusiast

Been using it since Friday and love it, the only minor issue that admittedly annoys me is having my phone on the priority sound setting (with all options set to off) results in text message sounds still pinging though.

That could be due to Textra not updating the app though. I know I could get a widget to mute the phone completely but I miss the built in quick mute option from earlier builds.

If I'm missing something share the knowledge and I'll be very greatful :D

10. I've been using it since Friday and the I've only run into 2 issues. It does not connect to my wifi at work (although it will at home) and the calendar will not connect to my google account (tried google's app, sunrise, and today calendar). Couldn't comment on battery since the wifi at work thing is going to change my normal a lot.

11. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

12. xe0n

xe0n Lurker

Bizarre! Does your work use a breakout firewall or something like that?
    We have an enterprise Dell SonicWall on our MPLS and so far It works fine. Had an issue briefly with a certificate but that was my error.

13. I'm not sure about the firewall, I imagine they have one but they don't do any content filtering or anything also it just disconnects right away and keeps retrying. We have 3 different wireless networks with different settings and oddly they all fail. I checked the log and I think this is where it fails:

WPA: CCMP is used, but EAPOL-Key descriptor version (3) is not 2

someone else ran into it at Android 5.0 Lollipop Developer Preview Discussion - Post #5717 - XDA Forums

14. thisISjoel

thisISjoel Android Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure I'm waiting. I flashed the latest dev preview rom from vomer and I just miss my dirty tweaks too much. When the official release gets a flashable rom I'm sure I'll flash it but I'm also pretty sure I'll restore my DU nandroid failry quickly after that. I'll try to give it a bit more of a go but from what I've seen so far KitKat DU > Stock Lollipop (dev preview at least).

15. GuitarG20

GuitarG20 Clueless Senior Member

Trying to decide whether to force the developer preview onto my phone or not. Can someone in the know comment on the following questions:
    1. Will I have to flash the "official" 5.0 release when it downloads? I heard this was the case but i am not sure. If I can manage to flash the preview then it shouldn't be a challenge for me to flash the official.
    2. Are the apps, keyboard, etc. updated to material design yet, or is it just the UI? While I love the UI, I don't see it worth getting early if it's just the UI and all the apps are still the old style.
    3. How hard is it to flash? The last phone I flashed software on was a AT&T Model HOXL that I had to root around in to unlock. However, it was done mostly through a GUI and not the command prompt. While I know how to use the command prompt rudimentarily, I don't want to break my phone.

Thanks guys :)

16. xe0n

xe0n Lurker

Download and follow: http://mobile.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-t...-android-5.0-lollipop-on-nexus-5-and-nexus-7/

Make sure to get your device ID. Command is "abd devices "
    That way you get the number to fastboot etc. Make sure to lock the boot loader when done ;)

GuitarG20 likes this.
  17. GuitarG20

One more question. Does anyone know if exchange is supported in the preview? I read somewhere that it was broken.

xe0n likes this.
  18. xe0n

xe0n Lurker

Hmmm good question. Have not added my work email yet. I will try and report back.

19. xe0n

xe0n Lurker

[​IMG]
    Not even the option for exchange activesync :(

20. GuitarG20

Well, that alone means I gotta wait :( here's hoping google pushes the official soon

21. umataro42

umataro42 Android Enthusiast

I'm planning to wait for my ROM (Purity) to add it in. Since I also use a few Xposed mods, I'm not gonig to rush to upgrade.

Nexus 5 Forum

The Nexus 5 release date was November 2013. Features and Specs include a 4.95" screen, 8MP camera, Snapdragon 800 processor, 2300mAh battery, and 2GB storage.

November 2013
Release Date
Reviews