1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Accessories Anyone use a USB car charger?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Smudgie, May 9, 2010.

1. Smudgie

Smudgie Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2010

Advertisement

2. esn

esn Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2009
    construction
    South Jersey
    I use mine everyday no issues works great.

3. amarryat

amarryat Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2010
    MA
    That one is a great one. I used it with my Blackberry, both kids plug their iPods into it at once, but I haven't tried it yet with the Incredible yet. It puts out 1000ma, so it is definitely plenty powerful to charge the Incredible.

4. mz_

mz_ Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Florida
    I own a KIA which has a built in AUX/USB port which plays through the radio. The DINC plays and charges at the same time, or I can just charge it!

Also kept the car charger that I bought when I had my LG Dare.

5. crackers8199

crackers8199 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    the monoprice car usb chargers work just fine...

6. Topshelf

Topshelf Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Are you saying that you plug a micro-usb cable into that one usb port and it both charges the phone and plays music through your speakers? I've been trying to do this exact thing. Hope I don't need to buy a Kia just to get this working. :D

7. belash

belash Active Member

May 3, 2010
    Milton, FL
    I can get it to play music through the speakers and charge the phone. The problem? The music ONLY plays if the USB reads the data (MP3's) on my micro SD card. It does NOT pass all audio data through the USB. For example, Navigation, Pandora, stock mp3 player, Mixzing all don't work for me.

If I am doing something wrong I would love to be corrected;) Fortunately I also have a aux 3.5mm connection on the front of my radio unit (Pioneer after-market unit). So once I get my cables from monoprice.com I will send audio thru the 3.5mm jack and charge using a standard car charger.

8. potterdood

potterdood Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Male
    Verizon Wireless Tech Support
    Anderson, SC
    Are you saying that your LG Dare charger charges your Incredible, I sure hope not, bc I gave it away and bought a charger for my Inc, hahaha...

9. fortesquieu

fortesquieu Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Guys, I need someone to confirm that it is charging enough to power Incredible. I bought a cheaper USB 12V Cigarette Lighter Charger off Amazon too, but when I stream music online while charging it, my battery will be lower after a while.

So I did a test, my charger only charges the phone 4% in 30mins, with everything else off (3G, wifi, GPS..).

10. travisvn1

travisvn1 Member

Feb 25, 2010
    IT
    San Diego, CA
    I use my wifes Dare charger for my DINC all the time and the car charger for both is the came

11. TrumpetMan

TrumpetMan Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2010

Funny that's the one I use also,

12. fortesquieu

Apr 27, 2010
    ^ -.-

Does anyone know any specific car charger that can charge your phone fast enough??

13. cryptiq

cryptiq Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    FL
    I have the Belkin Cigarette USB port/charger. While it worked great for my Eris, it doesn't seem to have enough power to charge my Incredible. After about 45 min, my LED starts flashing orange. When I check the battery status it says not charging. If I unplug it for a while it seems to work again for a while. I'm going to try exchanging it for a new one to see if the issue persists...I don't know the output on the adapter but I would think it should be fine. On the other hand, my OEM LG Dare charger seems to work fine, and if I'm not mistaken, it's only 700mA whereas the DI charger is 1000mA.

14. TheSultan

TheSultan Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Operations Manager
    Rochester, NY
    I used a Belkin for all previous phones, and my iPod and now my incredible. works great!

15. drdoom

drdoom Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2010
    College Student
    North Carolina
    The monoprice USB charger works great. It charges as fast as the wall charger included with the phone since they both can deliver 1A. Plus, it was only a buck and shipping so I bought two of them.

16. bob_loblaw

bob_loblaw Active Member

Apr 2, 2010
    drdoom, I bought the same one and noticed the plastic emits a smell when I use it, almost like it thermally can't handle the heat generated while being used. You experience the same thing?

17. jinetix

jinetix Member

Apr 30, 2010
    I'm using this. Works great and leaves an extra port open in case you want to charge an iPod simultaneously.

Amazon.com: Belkin Dual USB Car Charger for iPod (Black): Electronics

Has 2 USB ports, one of them which is a QuickCharge port. Supposedly it'll charge whatever is on that port faster. Comes with a iPod/iPhone USB cable and a USB to Mini-USB cable.

18. drdoom

drdoom Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2010
    College Student
    North Carolina
    I haven't noticed that. I do notice that it can get hot though. How long does it take for you to start smelling it?

19. tifozi

tifozi Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Anyone use car dc-ac inverters that have usb port(s)+conventional outlets?

20. silverxbv2

silverxbv2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2010
    I use my sons psp charger in the car, its a usb. Works great

21. bob_loblaw

bob_loblaw Active Member

Apr 2, 2010
    drdoom,
    When I tried it out it took about 20 minutes before I noticed the smell. Everything else was fine, phone was not heating up or anything. I think it's just cheap plastic, it still kinda smells funky when not in use. I'm not a fan of monoprice generic charters, my wall charger left the screen unresponsive and my replacement will cut in and out randomly. I bought the belkin micro quick charge car adapter and that thing takes forever to charge even though its rated at 1A.

22. upther

upther Well-Known Member

May 7, 2010
    Micco, FL
    I've got a Griffin dual port charger that doesn't seem to output enough power and a Lenmar single port charger that works awesome.

23. sunthas

sunthas Well-Known Member

May 5, 2010
    We had verizon mini-usb car chargers. I bought micro-mini adapters. The DINC wont charge on the old chargers even with the adapters, so I will have to buy a new car charger.

24. fortesquieu

Apr 27, 2010