1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Anyone use an antivirus app?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by guttyla, Jan 13, 2012.

1. guttyla

guttyla Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 9, 2009
    Curious as to what is a good one and if one is needed

Advertisement

2. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
  3. x026092

x026092 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 16, 2009
    MD 20/20
    I use mobile outlook, seems to work fine.

4. trophynuts

trophynuts Android Expert
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    I work in a Tech related field. Have been in a tec
    SouthEastern US
    i don't use anything.

5. Lars

Lars Android Expert
    None

I use lookout but I don't know that it does anything.

6. x026092

x026092 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 16, 2009
    MD 20/20
    I think there is AVG or AVP, also.

7. rdsok

rdsok Android Enthusiast

Feb 24, 2010
    I've got AVG Pro installed and like it quite a lot. I've never felt it was intrusive, nor do I notice it slowing anything down. There are several scanning options including website scanning, how often it scans etc.

It comes with some nice additional features beyond just malware protection as well. Application backup is nice but not as good as Titanium BU, but I'm not rooted so TiBU is out for me at this time. I can securely locate the phone remotely if needed as well as wipe it remotely in the event of loosing the phone or having it stolen. It also has a spam blocker feature but I don't text and my email is already scanned on my email servers, so I haven't seen this in action yet.

The free version has nearly the same features as the Pro version... The Pro version wasn't much and since I use my phone for business use, I felt the added features were worth it to me.

8. tehsusenoh

tehsusenoh Android Expert
    None

Jun 17, 2011
    Student
    I don't. I had Lookout, but I just uninstalled it. I'm apt at spotting the bad programs. And even if I somehow got one, I would have no issues removing it. My dad has Lookout on his Bionic though.

9. OutOfPhase

OutOfPhase Premium Member
    None

Dec 7, 2010
    Retired Lineman
    Tampa, FL
    Avast has just came out with one. It also will go deeper if you are rooted. I am trying it out now to see how it works.

When you use the root option it installs a firewall.

Avast

After using this app for awhile I found it to be a giant battery hog. My battery life was cut in half.

10. cook1273

cook1273 Newbie
    None

Oct 1, 2010
    Security Alarm installer
    Wisconsin
    Was told by my Verizon rep that they are trouble. I asked why I had a green plus sign on the top of my home screen like a notification and it was for what seemed to be a spam contest, he told me it was due to apps like lookout, avg, and the mp3 app I had. Since I removed them I have not had any more green plus signs, was told that Android/ Google is plenty secure. Just my thoughts.

11. rdsok

rdsok Android Enthusiast

Feb 24, 2010
    First I would point out that the Verizon Rep is just a salesperson... not a technician obviously or they would have known the green plus sign you mentioned is a sign that you had installed an app that uses Air Push Ad's to help pay for the app... in otherwords, it was adware popup advertising.

An antivirus app is just like any other app... There will certainly be some that are well written just as there will be some that are poorly written. I wouldn't even be suprised if some also came with Air Push Ad's .... but I think it is foolish to lump them all into one category and say they are all bad or useless.

I have chosen to learn from the past and start protecting my smartphone now... I saw how malware spread slowly at first on computers, how many people saying it wasn't time yet to protect their systems... until it has now reached epidemic porptions... I just hope we aren't doomed to repeat it yet again and the only way I know to slow the spread of malware in smartphones is to take steps early.

12. wildkitten

wildkitten Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 30, 2011
    Alabama
    Yeah, the Verizon person I spoke to when I bought my phone who went over everything with me actually reccomended Lookout to me to install. He even went on to say to avoid AVG as there had been some issues that he believed was related to that app though he admitted he couldn't be sure.

13. rdsok

rdsok Android Enthusiast

Feb 24, 2010
    I've only had AVG Pro for a month now... not long enough for a good test of possible issues IMO but at this time I've had no issues to report.

I've also read all of the AVG forum area for the app and there are nothing I'd call a conflict type of issue being reported there. The only non-conflict issue that I found has to do with AVG misreporting that there was a Sim card change and that issue has been resolved by them removing the feature until it is corrected. Almost all posts in that forum were about usage issues for the most part... ie users with questions on how to do something or asking what it was that they were being told about by AVG

14. wildkitten

wildkitten Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 30, 2011
    Alabama
    Well, it may have been the sim card issue he was referring to. He wasn't specific.

But my point was that you were right, it's just a salesperson. The other persons salesperson said one thing, the one I spoke with said something completely different. Best not to think what they say is gospel truth.

15. ErisDroid?

ErisDroid? Well-Known Member
    None

So here's my two cents on the antivirus discussion. Do you need one, probably not a bad idea. There are malicious apps in the market, most Google has taken down but their still out there. The antivirus will help clean those out if you download them. Some of the antivirus app also have a back-up, find and remote lock features. Personally I use Lookout and Eset. I don't need both but one has features that the other doesn't (and I'm too cheap to pay for a subscription).

Now as far as the little plus symbol in your notification bar. That is a hidden app called air push. Air push is built into some apps so the developer can make money. It is NOT in any antivirus app! Air push lives in MP3 downloader apps. There is an app called airpush detector that is free and I would recommend to find those apps that have air push. Air push notifications will show up as little plus symbols, sometimes stars and sometimes a box. It's not malicious, just annoying.

***Edit*** I personally would stay away from anything from AVG. I have never had good luck with AVG for anything. IMPO.

16. rdsok

rdsok Android Enthusiast

Feb 24, 2010

Ok, this brings up a point... You shouldn't have two active protection software's installed... this can cause conflicts between the two the worst of which can actually make them both less effective. Please feel free to verify this in the FAQ's or KB articles on just about every antivirus/antimalware website out there...

The important word here is "active"... It is ok to have other protection softwares that only scans on demand ( when you ask it to )... but not two or more that provide realtime active protection...

So check what settings you have available in each util you mentioned... if you have the option, disable all of the realtime scanning options in one or the other of the apps ( if they have the option of course ). This way you can scan with the secondary util when you want to double check the results of the primary one that is providing realtime protection.

HowDoiUseAndro and ErisDroid? like this.
  17. ErisDroid?

None

Excellent point, I never thought of that. I wouldn't put two on my computer so why did I on my phone. I will check the settings. I haven't had any issues as of yet but really don't want to create one.

18. HotDawg

HotDawg Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 24, 2009
    data analyst
    I've had Lookout from day one of my OG Droid, so way back when. I probably don't need it, especially since I've outgrown testing twenty apps a week, but I probably don't need a bike helmet either. Still a good idea.

19. cook1273

cook1273 Newbie
    None

Oct 1, 2010
    Security Alarm installer
    Wisconsin
    point taken, salesperson is just that. I will look for the app to search out air push and may reinstall lookout or possibly check on avast. thanks for all the help.

20. Lars

Lars Android Expert
    None

Who has actually had an antivirus program find something? I haven't.

21. OutOfPhase

OutOfPhase Premium Member
    None

Dec 7, 2010
    Retired Lineman
    Tampa, FL
    I did but it found droid sheep and I put it there to play around with.

22. ErisDroid?

None

I've never had my antivirus find anything.

BUT... if you search Lookout in the Market you will find a couple more apps that remove some malicious apps. It's not really viruses like we think of computer viruses (even though these are computers with phones built in) they are malicious apps that take over your system and some you can't just uninstall because it buries itself deep in the system. Lookout, Eset, Avast (AVG), and any other "antivirus" app would search for little embedded bits of code that throw up red flags to you and the software. It's still a good idea, like the bicycle helmet analogy.

23. linuxrich

linuxrich Well-Known Member
    None

Lookout on my wife's Nexus S (On account, with the best will in the world, she's more likely than me to install a wrong 'un.)

Nothing on my GS2.