1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Anyone using an antenna amp with their phones?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by dweezle, May 17, 2011.

1. dweezle

dweezle Member
    None

Jul 17, 2010
    I travel in the boonies a lot. Because of that I still use my Motorola E815 with a Wilson antenna amp, for the times that the signal is marginal. Clearly, I would like to move into the smartphone/android era, but I don't want to lose my ability to boost my signal. The Galaxy S2 is calling to me.
    It seems that most threads are about all sorts of great apps, but few about signal strength and voice comm. Have any of you had to deal with this issue on your Android phones? What did you do? Thanks

Advertisement

2. RiverOfIce

None

Mar 30, 2010
    In exile
    Honesty, not a lot you can do. Most non powered boosters, do not work. The ones that are powered, will work very poorly with newer phones. Just get the best coverage you can get, and when you dont have cellphone connection, try to have a different communication device on you.

3. ReadyKilowatt

ReadyKilowatt Lurker
    None

May 17, 2011
    I have one (Wilson) that I use with my Samsung Vibrant. It does help, but (as I'm sure you know) they aren't miracle workers. If you have 2 bars it will boost up to 4-5 bars. However mine will sometimes overload the front end of the phone and it will look like I have full bars when in actuality I have none.

Of course, it will only work on edge if you are on TMO. But with the choice being edge or nothing, I'll take edge.

4. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    That's because an app won't help. Amps and repeaters work just as well with any smartphone. Signal is signal. The amp/repeater doesn't discriminate against smartphones just make sure it supports the bands you need.