• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone using an antenna amp with their phones?

dweezle

Jul 17, 2010
I travel in the boonies a lot. Because of that I still use my Motorola E815 with a Wilson antenna amp, for the times that the signal is marginal. Clearly, I would like to move into the smartphone/android era, but I don't want to lose my ability to boost my signal. The Galaxy S2 is calling to me.
It seems that most threads are about all sorts of great apps, but few about signal strength and voice comm. Have any of you had to deal with this issue on your Android phones? What did you do? Thanks

I have one (Wilson) that I use with my Samsung Vibrant. It does help, but (as I'm sure you know) they aren't miracle workers. If you have 2 bars it will boost up to 4-5 bars. However mine will sometimes overload the front end of the phone and it will look like I have full bars when in actuality I have none.

Of course, it will only work on edge if you are on TMO. But with the choice being edge or nothing, I'll take edge.

Upvote 0
It seems that most threads are about all sorts of great apps, but few about signal strength and voice comm. Have any of you had to deal with this issue on your Android phones?
That's because an app won't help. Amps and repeaters work just as well with any smartphone. Signal is signal. The amp/repeater doesn't discriminate against smartphones just make sure it supports the bands you need.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones