• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone using an Unlocked Nexus 5 on T-mobile's Unlimited $30/mo plan?

100 minutes?!? am i the only person left who makes phone calls? i'd be dead after about three days. :)

I am on this plan for 3 years already.
I use these different apps for voice: talkatone or vonage.
There are others that work equally well.

These apps use the data plan, not the 100 air time minutes.
Only rare occasions when I couldn't get internet connection, I would use some of the 100 minutes.
I've never come anywhere close to using all of the 100 minutes.
Voice quality on talkatone or vonage is good when wireless internet connection is good.

Upvote 0
100 minutes?!? am i the only person left who makes phone calls? i'd be dead after about three days. :)

If you talk a lot and/or conduct business this is NOT the plan for you. I've been using it for a little more than a month and for the most part I can get by with the 100 minutes by using voip. However, I have yet to use a voip app that works perfectly. Everyone of them for me has a 2 second delay so my voice and the other person's voice always end up interrupting each other. It creates a bit of awkwardness. When I am doing things like conducting interviews I have to turn off the voip because there is no way I would want that to happen.

This happens over wifi and lte. 12mbps should be way more than enough for voice transfer so the delay problem is something else.

That said, this is no big deal when talking to family and friends. And thats the bulk of my conversation.

Keep in mind that even if I use up the 100minutes, extra minutes is 10cents/minute. Considering I am saving $50/month over my previous verizon plan even if I have to purchase minutes I am still saving. In fact, if I buy $50 worth of minutes each month my plan would give me more data and talk time than my VZ plan. So no brainer there for me.

Reactions: DMajor239
Upvote 0
If you talk a lot and/or conduct business this is NOT the plan for you.

Keep in mind that even if I use up the 100minutes, extra minutes is 10cents/minute. Considering I am saving $50/month over my previous verizon plan even if I have to purchase minutes I am still saving. In fact, if I buy $50 worth of minutes each month my plan would give me more data and talk time than my VZ plan. So no brainer there for me.

yeah, i average about 1300 minutes a month, so that wouldn't be very cost effective. :) i know a lot of the youngins' just text all the time, but i use the phone for work.

Upvote 0
I am currently on straighttalk but plan to switch the to T-Mobile $30 plan.
On straighttalk I have them automatically renew my monthly charge using a credit card. Can I do the same with T-Mobile or will I need to physically purchase a new card every month?

Nope, you can set up "Auto Pay" and get billed every month from T-mobile.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones