• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone Using Swype? What Do You Think.

Just got it yesterday and I am loving it so far. I was using ShapeWriter. But, Swype is way better.

The one feature I hope they add to Swype would be hitting space twice inserts a period for you. I got used to this from using a Blackberry for the last two years. Plus the stock Dinc keyboard and ShapeWriter does this, too. It just comes so naturally to me to do this at the end of a sentence.

Upvote 0
I have been using it for a few days now and it is way better than the normal keyboard. I find it much faster and it allows you to type accurately and efficiently in portrait mode with one hand instead of going landscape with the normal and typing with both hands. Absolutely awesome. One thing I would like to see included in the swype keyboard is the microphone button and then it would be perfect.

Upvote 0
I love it. It does have a few quirks but its in beta for a reason.

Every once in a while I have a problem when its humid out and my finger doesn't swipe across the screen that great. Also, sometimes my finger blocks my view of a letter and I get a completely wrong word, but I guess that's more user error than anything else.. lol.

Upvote 0
I tried Shapewriter a few weeks ago and couldn't stand it. It's predicative text was terrible for me; I sometimes found myself deleting and re-entering a word 3 times before giving up and punching in the letters the old-fashioned way.

A few days ago I tried Swype, and the difference was like night and day. I find the prediction much, much better, my accuracy in tracing letters can be much lower, and I don't have to pause over letters. Capitalization and punctuation are much faster, too. I'll be buying it when it goes on the market.

Upvote 0
I recall it stating it can capture text, passwords etc. Did I miss something in the fine print? This was the same for ShapeWriter as well. As soon as I saw this, I did not install either.

I believe that the Android application manager is warning you it can potentially capture text because you're installing an application which is capable of doing input of sensitive information for the device. Seems like a cover your ass dialogue from the operating system because of the nature of data input. It'll be the same for absolutely any add-on keyboard you could find, I would imagine. I can't confirm as I've only installed Swype and Shapewriter, none of the other keyboards on the market were at all interesting.

I guess I don't really see what's got you put off by that, these are reputable pieces of software, here. Not only that, but as I stated the keyboard applications should have the proper permissions if installed from the correct location. If you were sent a swype .apk from some random website, and upon trying to install it said it required internet access that would be a dead giveaway that was a malicious fake application.

-edit:

I'm with the poster above me. I tried Shapewriter and I found that my speed slowed considerably because the tracings had to be so perfect. Even a small deviation from a straight line between letters caused havoc. I can be pretty wild with Swype and it still will typically get what I was after. Swype's capitalization, punctuation and all that are also better in my opinion.

Upvote 0
Ditto. ShapeWriter much quicker and more accurate even if you are off a bit.

Perhaps I have a different version of ShapeWriter (even though I downloaded the latest from the market) than everyone because I find it extremely inaccurate. I tried to use it when my Swype beta expired and I immediately reverted to stock because it was such a pain to use.

Upvote 0
I tried Shapewriter a few weeks ago and couldn't stand it. It's predicative text was terrible for me; I sometimes found myself deleting and re-entering a word 3 times before giving up and punching in the letters the old-fashioned way.

A few days ago I tried Swype, and the difference was like night and day. I find the prediction much, much better, my accuracy in tracing letters can be much lower, and I don't have to pause over letters. Capitalization and punctuation are much faster, too. I'll be buying it when it goes on the market.

+1

Upvote 0
I'm trying to drink thee swype kool aide, but I always have to double check my typing. I also type w/ my thumb & yet feels awkward. Looking & typing. I'm sad that I don't love it.

Sent from my Droid Incredible via Tapatalk

dont sweat it, its not for everyone. been using it off on on since it came out on the omnia 2 and it got ported to the original omnia. (bout a year ago) haven't tried it with the inc yet though. great concept and really was accurate but in the long run i stuck with my phonepad setup, never really been a fan of virtual qwerty's
just my 2 cents

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones