• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone using the new Yahoo Mail App

No experience myself, but surely you are contradicting yourself a bit. If it's push mail then there won't be any frequency to check for e-mail, because they'll be automatically pushed to the phone.

Sorry should have made myself clearer.

The yahoo app will not get new emails until I go into the app.

Which made me wonder about whether or not the frequency needed changing to push from a time retreavel.

I would like the app to notify me when I get an email.

Cheers

Upvote 0
Sorry should have made myself clearer.

The yahoo app will not get new emails until I go into the app.

Which made me wonder about whether or not the frequency needed changing to push from a time retreavel.

I would like the app to notify me when I get an email.

Cheers

It works OK for me. I get a notification as soon as the mail is received. No messing with any settings either. Just default install

Upvote 0
I use it and it works as push mail for me. The only thing is it doesn't seem to start automatically when I reboot the phone. So now I remember to go into the app as soon as the phone starts up and then the push service works as it should.

Is it possible that your push service is being stopped by a task killer?

Upvote 0
I've been using it since it came out. My opinion is that while it's not perfect it's better than manually checking the mobile yahoo email site via the browser.

My experience has been that it doesn't seem to affect the battery too much, if at all. Not noticed much of a difference.

The 'major' issue I have is that something when it moves between wi-fi and G/3G/H it seems to get stuck and the push mail doesn't work. If I kill off the task then restart it then it works again. The other issue is that occassionally mail can get stuck in the outbox and there's no manual force send option. The 'refresh' menu option on the main screen sometimes works, but not always.

I don't think you can turn notifications on with mobile data off. The two options you have, it seems to me, are:

1. leave mobile data on all the time and have notifications on, so you always get mail. (One thing it does do well is if you've got it set like this, go into aeroplane mode, then later back turn off aeroplane, it will 'bring down' all the mail available at that point. That seems to work consistently IMO.)

2. have notifications turned off and when you turn mobile data on you manually go in the app and tell it to refresh.

I think the first option may do what you're after, but IME it just seems best to keep mobile data on all the time. Battery drain isn't that bad.

Upvote 0
I was using this but went back to using the built in mail app.

You can set the frequency it checks for mail and you get a notification in the top bar.

The mail app sets itself up after I put in my email address and password.

You mention you can set the frequency, can you tell me where this within the yahoo app or have I misread the above

Upvote 0
Well, I have uninstalled the Yahoo app and reinstalled the updated version and still no notification of new emails. :mad:

I noticed a few people are having the same probs so I have uninstalled and will go back to the IMAP way.

Still cant understand why I can not get it to work though :thinking:

Anyway thanks for the advice you all gave above

Upvote 0
Similar experience here, since the 1.0.2 (supposedly to make it more stable) i've found my push notifications have become more erratic. There were problems before, mostly it seemed due to auto switching between wi-fi and mobile data but I can't determine exactly what situation causes it.

For now i'm sticking with it as it works maybe 80% of the time, and killing the app and restarting seems to help at times. Also the fact there's been 2 updates this quickly has me thinking that Yahoo might be committed to getting this working.

Upvote 0
I use it and it works as push mail for me. The only thing is it doesn't seem to start automatically when I reboot the phone. So now I remember to go into the app as soon as the phone starts up and then the push service works as it should.

Is it possible that your push service is being stopped by a task killer?

+1 that's what it is. Just go into the app once you boot the phone and it will push messages all day long

Upvote 0
I have just one problem...WHERE THE **** IS IT?

I saw it mentioned on the android freeware site, but everytime I try to down load it I just get a message saying "the requested item could no be found."

I've been trying to get this since it came out, I've scanned the barcode, searched the market, typed url's in a still I get nowhere, running out of patience now.

So PLEASE someone tell me how I get this onto my HTC Hero.

Upvote 0
The push mails choose when they want to notify me of new mail, this suits me fine....until it starts telling me (at 2am this time), that is has chosen to start notifying me..... I have now decided to turn the volume down a notch when I go to bed that way I don't hear the notifications when they come through whilst sleeping...

Upvote 0
I agree with Firedesire- my yahoo mail app works fine, but I do not want alerts. I want the icon, but I don't want it to vibrate/ring. When I sleep I've been setting the phone to silent (learned the hard way that I get a lot of emails during the night), but even during the day I do not want to get alerted every time I get an email. Is there a way to turn off vibrating/ringing alerts just for email?
Side note about yahoo mail app- the app warns that it can cost money if you send sms messages. I don't send sms through Yahoo, but do send a lot of messages- will this end up on my bill?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones