1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Anyone want a really pretty Solitaire? (Free or paid)

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by ReubenS, Dec 24, 2011.

1. ReubenS

ReubenS Lurker

Hi,

Earlier this year an artist friend of mine noticed that while iOS has several top-quality Solitaires on the App Store, all the Solitaires on Android Market looked a bit... well, amateur.

So we set about creating the best Solitaire for Android that we could make. And we're pretty gosh-darn pleased with the result, Solitaire Ultra :

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.firefrog.solitaire.free

We've beta'd it amongst family and friends, and it's been favorably received so far, with none of the device-specific issues that frequently plague new app launches. Therefore we are now cautiously expanding the audience a bit...

I'd therefore be amazingly grateful to anyone who fancies checking it out and giving us some feedback in this thread. We think it looks pretty fantabulous on both phones and tablets.

It's a 'free' app, i.e. there's an ad, but if you like it there's an in-app option to buy ad-freeness for $1.49 (or 99p in the UK, equivalent amounts elsewhere).

Many thanks,

Reuben

[​IMG]

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Reverend2009

Reverend2009 Lurker

Yeah nice game this one - best Solitaire for me, anyways. Nice big graphics that suit my fat fingers ;)

3. WebKat

WebKat Member

Before I download it, I have a question. Does it make sounds? And if it does, can they be turned off? That's my biggest gripe about the solitaire I have now: I get so sick of the little sound it makes every time I move a card!

4. Reverend2009

Reverend2009 Lurker

Yeah it does make subtle sounds actually, but you can turn em off in settings.

5. WebKat

WebKat Member

As long as they can be turned off! My current solitaire doesn't have an option for that in the settings. I'll download it and give it a look-see. :)

6. WebKat

WebKat Member

PS. You should make a QR code for the link to your app and put it in your post so that we can just scan it and go directly there. You can make one here: QR-Code Generator

Edited to add:

Actually I just did it for you, because I wanted to be able to scan it (I'm too lazy to type it in--LOL). Feel free to paste this into your OP.

Scan here: [​IMG]

ReubenS likes this.
  7. ReubenS

ReubenS Lurker

Good idea WebKat, thanks for doing that!

On tenterhooks to hear what you think of the game...

8. WebKat

WebKat Member

1) I can't find where to turn the sound off.
    2) I wish that when I played a card off of one of the piles, the next card would turn over automatically. Having to tap it again just seems like too many steps.
    3) I don't understand the numerical scores for playing cards... no solitaire game I've ever played has given scoring like that... I find it a little cluttery and it slows up the game.
    4) Every other Solitaire game I've played has turned over 3 cards at a time from the main pile... this one turns over each card. I've never played that way before...

I think that some of the little effects like the bubbly looking stuff when you play cards, and the scores popping up, things like that... I think they slow down the game play. Maybe make them happen a little faster?

An option to turn off "scoring" would be nice.
    An option to play the standard "turn over 3 cards" for those of us who are used to playing that way would be nice.
    An option to have cards on the pile auto-flip when you play the last face-up card off of one of them would be nice.

It's a nice looking game, but for actual game play right now I prefer the other one I have.

Hope that wasn't too brutally honest. I think the game has a lot of potential, but it has some things that need to be worked out, too.

9. ReubenS

ReubenS Lurker

> 1) I can't find where to turn the sound off.

There's a big "SETTINGS" button on the app home page...

> 2) I wish that when I played a card off of
    > one of the piles, the next card would turn over
    > automatically. Having to tap it again just seems like
    > too many steps.

Noted, but other people have said the exact opposite... it's hard to balance out opposing viewpoints.

> 3) I don't understand the numerical scores for
    > playing cards... no solitaire game I've ever played
    > has given scoring like that... I find it a little cluttery
    > and it slows up the game.

It's non-standard scoring, certainly, and this is detailed in the help screen. We felt Vegas scoring was a bit boring.

> 4) Every other Solitaire game I've played has
    > turned over 3 cards at a time from the main pile...
    > this one turns over each card. I've never played
    > that way before...

Again, that option is on the Settings screen. We default to 1-card as, in our experience, a majority of people we know seem to prefer it that way. I know Windows Solitaire and many others default to 3.

> Hope that wasn't too brutally honest. I think the
    > game has a lot of potential, but it has some things
    > that need to be worked out, too.

Not at all, the problems you've identified are all relatively minor aspects of gameplay that we can address once any kind of consensus builds up. Very many thanks for giving it a try.

10. WebKat

WebKat Member

When the app opened for me, it opened directly into the game with all of the cards laid out. It may have been a fluke from having just been installed and opening it from the Market screen, though, because when I just opened it again from my apps window it did go to a home screen. However, it went to a page that said "high scores are coming soon" that I had to try several different things to get past. Tapping on it should get you past it, IMO.

During game play, the settings button on the phone just brought up a 4-item menu. Putting "settings" on that menu would be a good idea. When you're in the game it doesn't appear there is a way to get back to the page with "Settings" on it, without quitting the game. So like if you start a game and then realize you want the sound off, you can't do it.

Again, I'd make things like the auto-flipping of the card an option in settings. Easy enough to do, and then you please everybody. I see that the 3 card thing IS an option in settings--that's good.

11. darkuni

darkuni Android Enthusiast

I'll take a look .. Gonna have to be super sweet to beat Hardwood ;)

12. Reverend2009

Reverend2009 Lurker

Yeah I liked Hardwood too but it's kinda... I dunno... clunky? Cluttered? That was one of the first Solitaires I bought. Don't know how much it is now but I'm fairly sure it cost me about a fiver a year or so back.

13. darkuni

darkuni Android Enthusiast

Yeah, it isn't free .. but I assume that's really to cover the online component, right?

I never really found it "clunky". Maybe "overdone" in places :)

14. Reverend2009

Reverend2009 Lurker

Yeah, "overdone" is probably the better word for Hardwood, thank you!

15. WebKat

WebKat Member

I think, after playing with it a bit more, that the single most important thing I think should be changed (and it would require making your font smaller, sorry!) is putting a link to "Settings" in the popup window that comes up while you're playing a game if you hit the settings button hard-coded on the phone.