• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Anyone want to talk me out of rooting?

dswalker

Lurker
Apr 8, 2010
I'm currently running stock 1.5. I'm seriously considering rooting my phone. I've got a decent bit of Linux experience, so I doubt I'll mess anything up too awful bad.

Any good reason to wait on the 2.1 OTA rather than root now? Has anyone rooted and wished they didn't?

I know most of the benefits, I'm wondering about the risk.

I'm currently running stock 1.5. I'm seriously considering rooting my phone. I've got a decent bit of Linux experience, so I doubt I'll mess anything up too awful bad.

Any good reason to wait on the 2.1 OTA rather than root now? Has anyone rooted and wished they didn't?

I know most of the benefits, I'm wondering about the risk.

I'd go for it if I were you... It's pretty hard to screw up anyway. There aren't really a lot of reasons why you shouldn't root.

Reactions: dswalker
Upvote 0
I don't think you'll find a single person who has rooted that wished they hadn't. You can always roll back to 1.5 if you change your mind down the road. There really isn't a single reason why you wouldn't root your phone. You get all the advantages of 2.1 and you get the advantages of having root access. Its a win-win situation which seemingly happens so rarely anymore these days.

Upvote 0
I don't think you'll find a single person who has rooted that wished they hadn't. You can always roll back to 1.5 if you change your mind down the road. There really isn't a single reason why you wouldn't root your phone. You get all the advantages of 2.1 and you get the advantages of having root access. Its a win-win situation which seemingly happens so rarely anymore these days.

I thought it currently wasn't possible to roll back to 1.5 using root? That the ROM had been taken offline or something like that. It was something mentioned in another thread.

Upvote 0
I thought it currently wasn't possible to roll back to 1.5 using root? That the ROM had been taken offline or something like that. It was something mentioned in another thread.

The creator has taken it off the sites he posted it on. But you might still be able to find it else where. But there is no reason you would want to go back to 1.5. There are plenty of very stable ROM's (GrdLocks root 2.1 if you like Sense and VanillaDroid by GrdLock if you want a vanilla ROM) available. Great thing is, you might be slow at the start, but then you wont be able to put your phone down. Esp if you said you have linux experience, you might make some stuff that helps out the community and yourself and make it even more addicting.

And even if you root, you can update to the OTA when available. (This is not confirmed but 99.9% you will be able to. And even if not, the devs would cook up a ROM with it included)

Upvote 0
Well I am thinking about reverting back to 1.5. Primary reason is that there are many apps in the Market that are not available for download. A few other problems I have experience are that the OS will not automatically jump back onto my home wifi network after I return from an out of range location. I have to turn off wifi and back on and only then will it reconnect. The other issue is the All Programs view, you can change it from list to grid, I like the list view but when the phone is rebooted it returns to grid view (not a big deal but I didn't have this issue with 1.5)

Upvote 0
Well I am thinking about reverting back to 1.5. Primary reason is that there are many apps in the Market that are not available for download. A few other problems I have experience are that the OS will not automatically jump back onto my home wifi network after I return from an out of range location. I have to turn off wifi and back on and only then will it reconnect. The other issue is the All Programs view, you can change it from list to grid, I like the list view but when the phone is rebooted it returns to grid view (not a big deal but I didn't have this issue with 1.5)

Try another rom to fix the issues you mention. Also you can download the apk files for the apps you purchased and have that until the ota update comes out which will re-enable the downloads for those apps that don't apprear now.

Upvote 0
4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download eris1.5rooted.zip

This file will roll back the os to 1.5 and keep root access. It allows OTA updates to come through. I don't know if the OTA update will unroot your phone (i think it probably will), but at least if you want to go back to 1.5 and you are rooted this will do it. Theres another image which will roll you back to an unrooted 1.5 as well but i don't have the link atm, i'll post it when i come across it again.

Reactions: c00gz
Upvote 0
So to downgrade to 1.5, would it be the same steps as rooting to 2.1 (just with the different file, obviously)?

on a side note - any idea if the 50% signal issue is being resolved with updated ROMs or anything? Does rooting 2.1 also void my $8/month insurance?

I swore I wouldn't give in to the temptation of rooting to 2.1, but my resolve is diminishing by the second...

Thanks!

Upvote 0
So to downgrade to 1.5, would it be the same steps as rooting to 2.1 (just with the different file, obviously)?

on a side note - any idea if the 50% signal issue is being resolved with updated ROMs or anything? Does rooting 2.1 also void my $8/month insurance?

I swore I wouldn't give in to the temptation of rooting to 2.1, but my resolve is diminishing by the second...

Thanks!

Once you have root you should just be able to flash the 1.5 rom just like any other rom. I'm using the Aloysius v5 rom and it does not have the 50% time without signal bug, pics also show up in gmail.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones