• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone with an EVO try tethering vita PDANet?

Is PDANet better than EasyTether? I saw ET first and installed that and it seems to be working well. Just wondering if there are any reasons to go with PDANet instead.

If you haven't paid or donated, I would go with PDANet. I haven't tried easy tether, but PDANet has it built in where your SMS will go to your computer, and you can reply/make new messages on there instead of the phone. That's especially useful if you are in a low signal area and moving the phone to do a text makes it lose signal.

Upvote 0
Is PDANet better than EasyTether? I saw ET first and installed that and it seems to be working well. Just wondering if there are any reasons to go with PDANet instead.

Nope. If it works, don't fix it.

I am about to cancel my Hotspot service because of throttled through speeds. Depending on tower to device speeds, Hotspot speeds can be as low as 50% of tower to device speeds. That being said...

I have PdaNet and Easytether installed and have tested both back to back.

I found that both work very well. PdaNet has nice features such as bluetooth and sms forwarding, but it is much slower than Easytether. Easytether is fast enough that I can stream Netflix in HD without interruptions to the buffer, and surf the web and download large files simultaneously. Laptop speed tests using Easytether come in faster than straight tower to device speed tests while the same tests using PdaNet were much slower than tower to device speeds.

If bluetooth and sms forwarding are worth a sacrifice in speed, go with PdaNet. If you need Balls-to-the-Wall speed, go with Easytether.

Upvote 0
I have PdaNet and it works flawlessly on my EVO, however I have a question about traveling overseas. I am getting ready to leave for Jamaica and want to use my laptop and avoid paying the high internet fees the hotel charges...if I use PdaNet with the EVO will it work? And if it does will I still get hit with data roaming changes from Sprint??? Thanks for any insight.

Upvote 0
I just tried tethering for the first time with PDAnet this past weekend. I was surprised by how fast it was. On 4G in the Philly suburbs, I was getting around 6 Mb/s (on the laptop while tethered). I didn't try speedtest.net on 3G, but surfing on 3G also seemed pretty fast.

I'll have to give EasyTether a try to see if it's even faster than PDAnet.

Upvote 0
Just wondering what makes everyone so sure that Sprint won't have a fee for wired tethering when using the included native app? On many previous Sprint phones unless you used a custom ROM, PDAnet, or similar, they knew you were tethering and some people got hit with astronomical data charges.

If they do allow it using the native app that would be amazing to me because it clearly indicates it is included with your plan. Since I have no need for the hotspot functionality that would be an incredible bonus.

This is why you have a data plan included in your package. Whether you chose the $99, $69 or $89 plan all have unlimited data included. The $99 plan has what they call direct connect added in, I thought that was their mobile hotspot without the extra $30 but its a glorified 3 way calling you can call up to 20 people. I have no use for it, and I think it would be very confusing. When group text messaging would serve me better.

Upvote 0
OK great. There was an upgrade on the phone a couple of weeks ago so I wasn't sure. I must have messed up something. I was using it flawlessly then 2 weeks ago I could not connect. I tried bluetooth and got on. Then i could not get on again. I have read and re-read instuctions at pdanet. I will delete and start over again. I am o to Mac so this has been difficult:)

Upvote 0
For those of you considering root, do it. Wireless Tether is not only much faster than PdaNet according to my speed tests, but more convenient as well. No need to connect to pc via cable, I drop my Evo in the dock 20' away and my laptop, as well as my roommate's pc, are both online at the same time. Did I mention it's free? And unlike PdaNet I haven't found the need to reconnect occasionally to maintain a connection.

Why didn't I root my Evo months ago?

Upvote 0
For those of you considering root, do it. Wireless Tether is not only much faster than PdaNet according to my speed tests, but more convenient as well. No need to connect to pc via cable, I drop my Evo in the dock 20' away and my laptop, as well as my roommate's pc, are both online at the same time. Did I mention it's free? And unlike PdaNet I haven't found the need to reconnect occasionally to maintain a connection.

Why didn't I root my Evo months ago?

hahahhahah
99% say the same thing!

Upvote 0
Not so if you are rooted. Were you using the latest release of Wireless Tethering? Anything lower than 2.0.5-pre9 has emotional problems. -pre9 is what I am using and it does very well. PDANet works rooted/not rooted. I have never been able to get EasyTether to work reliably on the Evo.

Unfortunately with the latest hboot rooting is not easy or highly successful at this point. I am back to using EasyTether until a perfected root is available. EasyTether works great, but does not have the speed of wireless tether. I just came from a Hero to the EVO. Patience is a virtue, they say... lol

Upvote 0
Well I uninstalled on macbook again, went to network settings and deleted all practice settings and re-installed. All I see is ethernet not en2 or any thing else after the reboot. I have it tethered, usb on (debugging set as well) and nothing. In the network settings for ethernet it says "cable unplugged". Device has been synced many times. I do try to connect via the icon on the mac. The phone says it's paired but not connected. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Unfortunately with the latest hboot rooting is not easy or highly successful at this point. I am back to using EasyTether until a perfected root is available. EasyTether works great, but does not have the speed of wireless tether. I just came from a Hero to the EVO. Patience is a virtue, they say... lol
I gave up on pdanet, installed EasyTether and I'm connected! It was simple. Thanks for the advice

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones