1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Anyone worried about the size?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by shadders139, May 9, 2011.

1. shadders139

shadders139 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 16, 2010
    England
    Reading about all the exciting tech and specs of the Evo 3D has made me really eager to get one, mainly because it's on the cutting edge of mobile technology and of course for the 3D! However, I am worried about the practical aspects of having a mobile phone that is so large. I've never owned one with a 4.3 inch screen. Is anyone else worried about it being such a large size, and for people who own phones this big, does it create any problems? Or is it something you get used to after a while?

Advertisement

2. deltatko

deltatko Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 19, 2010
    I went from the Pre to the EVO 4G, which is a huge jump, and had no issue. It fits just fine in my pockets and I don't think I will ever be able to go back to a smaller screen, it's just so nice to have all of that space when reading and playing games.

3. momentandroid

momentandroid Member
    None

May 15, 2010
    thats what she said? lol sorry i had to.
    from what ive seen its a little more fitting in your hand then the evo.

JunBringer likes this.
  4. themuffinman75

themuffinman75 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 9, 2010
    Atlanta
    No issues with size at all, just go play with an evo at the sprint store and you will get a general idea of how it will feel. Unless of course you are like that guy in that burger king commercial(or was it wendys) that had those little hands, LOL. Honestly though as large as the screen is its really not that bulky, if it had a keyboard then there may be a little cause for concern.

gimme5 likes this.
  5. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
    None

Jul 7, 2010
    this one is largly a personal preference. I'm on an Evo already, so the Evo 3D's size is not an issue at all, obviously.

The whole mobile industry was trending toward smaller devices before the rise of smartphones, so I think there's still a lingering expectation for mobile phones to be small.

Web browsing, photos, videos, games, text readability, etc all benefit from a larger screen. It all comes down to your tolerance for the overall size of the phone. I personally love 4.3." Much easier to type on virtual keyboards. Fits fine in my pocket. Sometimes I think I forgot my phone because I don't even feel it in the pocket.

cnote1287 likes this.
  6. lordofthereef

lordofthereef Android Expert
    None

Nov 11, 2010
    Student
    There are plenty of phones out there now which are about the size of the EVO and EVO 3D. Some people love it, while some people hate it. I was one who thought I would hate it but actually think it's great. I am NOT one of those that is unwilling to go back down to a smaller screen under any circumstances, but it would take a bit of work to get me looking.

Don't forget, Sprint is great about their 30 day policy. You can literally go back in on day 29 and say "this thing just doesn't fit in my pocket". You will be given two choices: 1. return it, cancel everything, and walk away (for FREE). 2. keep the contract, swap out your phone (if it costs more you pay the difference, if it costs less they can credit your account or refund it). It is literally that hassle free. For that reason, don't let anyone tell you it is too big or too small. THEY ARE NOT YOU. When it comes to size, you have to decide that yourself, and Sprint is more than accommodating.

7. jroc

jroc Android Expert
    None

Apr 10, 2010
    I have a Droid X and I know someone who has an EVO.

Between those 2 phones the X is thinner, except where the camera hump on the X is. I couldnt tell unless I had both phones at the same time. Same goes for the width and length. The X is wider and longer but unless you had both phones you really couldnt tell.

I'm a guy who wears regular and loose fit jeans. Dont do baggy anymore if I can help it. My X has no problems fitting in and coming out my pockets, front or back. Sometimes I have to check to see what pocket its in.

I was kinda worried about a 4.3" screen but after using my X, my Droid 1 seems so small now. Like novox said, all those things are better on a bigger screen but its also personal preference.

8. nathanotis

nathanotis Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 22, 2009
    Denver, CO
    I went from Hero to Evo and while it was a huge jump in size, the Evo was still slim enough that it fit well in my pocket. I wouldn't worry about the step up in size. As was suggested before, go play with an Evo... It should be very similar.

9. partridge

partridge Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 1, 2010
    I wouldn't be surprised to see a 5" screen next year, but most likely an edge to edge screen with a tiny frame. It will still be a big phone, but I bet it would sell.

I definitely want a larger screen next time round (I currently have a Desire)

toomuchgame441 likes this.
  10. deltatko

deltatko Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 19, 2010

The Dell Streak is 5" and, while very big, still seems pocketable and Samsung has the 4.5" phone coming to AT&T, I would personally try a bigger screen, but it has to be able to fit easily in my pocket.

As a side note, my gf really wanted a Galaxy Tab like they had in Europe with the full phone functions lol. But the carriers had to take that out and relying on google voice, and thus a strong data connection to use the phone, isn't an ideal situation.

11. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
    None

Jul 7, 2010
    I love how the Evo 4G utilizes as much real estate as possible on the front surface for the display. Comparing it to an iPhone, the screen is so much bigger, but the overall phone dimensions are just slightly bigger. It gives the impression that the overall phone is a lot bigger than it actually is.

I see only one drawback to having thin bezels on the side... when I use a case, it's sometimes hard for me to drag an icon/widget across homescreens because he lip of the case is preventing my finger from triggering the edge of the screen.

And actually, that can be addressed at the ROM level; some ROMs require that your finger hit the very edge. Sense 1.0 gives you more tolerance. If you're close to the edge, it will scroll the homescreen over.

12. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy
    None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    Go play with an Evo or anything else with a 4.3" screen. Then go play with an iPhone/iTouch. You'll understand. I have an iTouch for a car music changer and if I leave my phone (a Droid X) at home and use the iTouch to play music at work, I really hate that small screen.

13. dan330

dan330 Android Expert

Jan 22, 2010
    OP...

what phone do you have now? take than phone.. put it on top of the EVO at a sprint store.

you will see.. it aint that big! its all screen!!! love my evo!

BenChase7 likes this.
  14. BenChase7

BenChase7 Android Expert
    None

Jun 16, 2010
    Male
    RN
    Phoenix
    ^
    exactly. The real estate is well used on the EVO.

15. RiverOfIce

None

Mar 30, 2010
    In exile
    I had the same worry with the htc evo 4g, now I could not go back. I need a 4.3 inch screen. To big? It is getting too small.

16. shadders139

shadders139 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 16, 2010
    England
    Thanks for all of your replies, much appreciated.

I currently own a HTC hero which is pretty small and that's why I was worried about the size jump. No doubt having a bigger screen makes for a better experience whilst actually using the phone, but my fear was that it would just become impractical for day to day use and situations- and user experience is better than just trying it in a store for a few minutes.

But from the replies it seems everyone here got used to the size, and no one has reported any issues.

And as some of you have pointed out it would be good to try out a similar sized phone in store, although I'm in the UK and so wouldn't be able to try out the Evo 4G, I'll keep an eye out for other 4.3 inch phones to get an idea of size. :)

17. dan330

dan330 Android Expert

Jan 22, 2010
    i had the hero.. it was marginally bigger.

in europe.. look for the HTC Desire HD...

18. thefley

thefley Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 19, 2009
    Oklahoma
    when they get as big as an iPad then I will worry

[​IMG]

19. RichboyJhae

RichboyJhae Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 31, 2009
    Texas
    From what I can tell, the Euro Hero is thicker than the EVO.

20. Bnice

Bnice Guest
    None
    I can see HTC making a 4.5 inch screen phone, just keep the Evo design and get rid of the touch buttons.

21. wacko11

wacko11 Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 11, 2010
    U.S. Virgin Islands
    That would be good......probly the next evo since it would have ics on it and ics has honeycomb features on it, just make the whole face a screen.

22. themuffinman75

themuffinman75 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 9, 2010
    Atlanta
    Dude....., I been thinking about this same thing all year. They should just make it all screen with minimum bezel and just have on screen buttons like the honeycomb tabs. Doing that should enable htc to increase the screen size to about 5" with hardly any increase to the overall size of the phone. That would be one sexy ass phone IMO.

23. Sketchr

Sketchr Android Enthusiast
    None

May 28, 2010
    Male
    That's one of the things I appreciated about going from the iPhone to the EVO...larger screen. So I think EVO 3D will be just fine.

24. Android 17

Android 17 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 30, 2010
    I love the size of the phone, and personally I'd probably even take a 4.5 inch or so phone. Although the EVO does a great job of getting rid of unneeded bezel, I'd love to see an EVO with little to no bezel used, and a slight bump in screen size while keeping the same dimensions.

25. jdsingle

jdsingle Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    Thanks for this info. I thought I remembered reading that somewhere but it is good to hear from personal experience. This might allow me to test out the Nexus S and if I don't like it I can wait for this still.

Tags: