• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyones data been throttled yet??

pwrshft99

May 8, 2010
I noticed my connection speed lagging a few weeks back, then around the first of the month it was fine again. Then I stumbled across an article on how verizon will throttle users using too much data. I then proceeded to download NetCounter to see how much data I was using.

Being laid off and having no home internet I use my phone alot. As I'm on an unlimited plan I wasn't concerned. Over the past 7 days I've used 2gb using the phone as normal, I don't teether, and hardly watch any sreaming content. That puts me around 8gb for the month, which means I will have my services held back by Verizon.

This is unacceptable. I signed an unlimited contract. Not an unlimited until 5gb contract, not a different speed once you reach your quota contract. Never was I told about this when they were trying to get me to switch from t mobile. I'm sure there was probably some fine print somewhere amoung the 12 pages I was supposed to read and sign, but I feel duped.

Can I get out of my contract?? Im closing in on one year since I switched and I think I want out, even if it means giving up a great phone.

Not sure but there was a without a doubt a differance in speed. Its deceptive advertising if you ask me.

Did you read the contract you signed with Verizon when you signed it?

If not, then it's your own fault. Because I'm sure there is some kind of clause in there that allows them to do this. It's the nature of the business, the cell phone companies hold you by the balls. However, if you didn't read the contract that you signed and then they are enacting a portion of it, then sucks. Yeah they advertise it as unlimited, but there's going to be a way for them to protect them from people who would abuse that.

It's not false advertising, you signed a contract with them.

Upvote 0
Who is going to stand there and read that entire damn contract?? Or pay an attorney to explain half of it before you sign??

Just sickens me the stuff these big buisnesses get away with.

I'm tempted to just keep hogging bandwith.. maybe they will call and drop me!!

They won't drop you, but they WILL charge you for the "extra" data if they find you are doing something they deem that is not covered under the contract, doesn't sound like you are, so use all the data you want.

The new throttling is only for new contracts and affects only the top 5% of users, and I know people who use way more than 8gb.

Reactions: euph_22
Upvote 0
Did you read the contract you signed with Verizon when you signed it?

If not, then it's your own fault. Because I'm sure there is some kind of clause in there that allows them to do this. It's the nature of the business, the cell phone companies hold you by the balls. However, if you didn't read the contract that you signed and then they are enacting a portion of it, then sucks. Yeah they advertise it as unlimited, but there's going to be a way for them to protect them from people who would abuse that.

It's not false advertising, you signed a contract with them.

How can you "abuse" unlimited? Think about it.
At the very least there should be a little more truth in their advertising.

Upvote 0
I understand that the contract is legally binding (even the fine print) but honestly Benson, did you read ALL of your VZ service contract before you signed it? Honestly.
Unless you are a speed reader with exceptional comprehension of every term listed, most people do not read the entire contract word for word.
Bottom line is: You need a cell phone, and there isn't too much difference between any of the major service providers terms of contract, so you sign on the dotted line.
Either way you are pretty screwed if they decide that unlimited data really means limited to whatever amount they decide is sufficient.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Well, hi there.

What's the deal, gang?

Did we forget that we have rules around here, top among them being to attack issues and not each other?

Or that we frown on unnecessary language?

Infractions have been given, and I've been deleting posts flooding in for a few minutes now.

Further attacks on users after this one will carry the more severe penalties for failure to heed a mod warning.

Reactions: damewolf13
Upvote 0
I do, atleast I scan them. If I'm paying $1000-3000 for service, I want to know what rights I have and don't have. It's just common sense, and if Verizon is acting on a contact that you didn't bother reading, that's kind of your own fault.

And really you're hurting other users ALOT more than your hurting verizon. Your massive bandwidth use has to be paid for by everybody, and your limiting the bandwidth available to everyone else. If the verizon network in your area is underutilized, not really a problem. But if they are near capacity, that could be a problem for everyone else.

Can shift your usage to wifi? If you can, problem solved (and your going to get a better connectiom anyways).

Edit: apologies to the mods. Removed quote. Didn't even think about the language in it. Sorry.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Well, I think most things have been covered, but I wanted to ask this:

Are you sure you got throttled? Did you call Verizon and ask?

What I mean, is that their speeds are extremely variable. There are a ton of factors that can have a huge impact on the speeds.
First, the release of a new phone ( such as the iPhone ) can have a large impact initially in certain areas while people get that new phone all set up.

Second, patch day. If a popular phone receives an update, it can cause a large spike in data usage and slow everyone down.

Third, network outages. Things happen, and sometimes there are problems with the networks. If you shut down 1 highway, the other 1 nearby now has to handle twice as many vehicles...things are going to move slow.

Fourth, time of day/week. There are peak days, and peak hours for usage. There are also off-peak times. Going from one to the other can cause a large change in speed as the vast majority of people will use their phones at roughly the same times.

Fifth, multiplication. When more than one of the previous factors are stacked, it can make things worse than both of them separately.

Just some things to consider. A couple months ago I used my phone to tether, and was using way beyond 5 gigs. At times my internet would be slow for days, other times it was extremely fast. Correlation =/= Causation.

Upvote 0
They've been throttling me for a while now. Noticed it about 4-5 moths ago. Everything will be working fine, then all of a sudden, it's dead. I have to wait a little bit and then it works again. But once it starts going out, it continues to die quicker and quicker. I've called Verizon about it at first, and they couldn't explain it.

I agree, not so unlimited.

Upvote 0
They've been throttling me for a while now. Noticed it about 4-5 moths ago. Everything will be working fine, then all of a sudden, it's dead. I have to wait a little bit and then it works again. But once it starts going out, it continues to die quicker and quicker. I've called Verizon about it at first, and they couldn't explain it.

I agree, not so unlimited.

see zemerick's post above... Your situation doesn't sound like throttling. Verizon will throttle you constantly for the WHOLE billing cycle, not just here and there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones