• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone's Droids GPS ever suddenly stop working right?

nygiants10

Dec 6, 2009
I have had my Droid since lauch. the GPS which i use a ton geocaching and with the google maps has been flawless. Now all of a sudden the GPS has stopped being accurate. It always says im half mile to where i am, google maps/navigation doesnt work, and neither does any program i have that uses GPS. Always says the GPS Signal is not there. Any tips or has anyone have had this happen to you?

I have had my Droid since lauch. the GPS which i use a ton geocaching and with the google maps has been flawless. Now all of a sudden the GPS has stopped being accurate. It always says im half mile to where i am, google maps/navigation doesnt work, and neither does any program i have that uses GPS. Always says the GPS Signal is not there. Any tips or has anyone have had this happen to you?

happens quite frequently to me when im at work and i try to map something. it tells me im across the freeway... also drops the signal sometimes. worked perfectly when i got it but its been kinda crappy lately...

think its a glitch or something. not sure what to do cuz restarting maps/navi doesnt work

Upvote 0
I've seen my GPS go berserk one time. It showed my location as hundreds of miles away, my speed at way over 100MPH, and my altitude below -20,000 feet. Restarting the phone didn't fix it either. I had a feeling it was software though, so I wasn't going to get too concerned unless the problem remained for a while. Sure enough, the next morning the GPS worked fine.

Upvote 0
I just got done with a techinical support rep. He said GPS is broke and i need to send it in for repairs.

I'm only asking this because of your screen name, but are you in NYC (and, maybe even more specifically, Manhattan)? I'm asking because the same thing has happened to my Droid - it doesn't get any GPS signal here in Manhattan. I rooted my Droid, and I had assumed that I'd broken the GPS, so I unrooted and took it into the VZ store. They flashed the 2.0.1. ROM again just to make sure and couldn't fix it. We then checked both Droids in the VZW store, and they had the same issue, so the tech guy told me it was a Google/GPS issue.

I would normally call BS, but this past weekend, I was driving in Long Island and my navigation worked perfectly. Now that I'm back in Manhattan, it's started having problems again. I'd love to hear from others in Manhattan to see if they're having the same experience.

Just so we're all on the same page, my settings are the following:

Settings->Location & SecuritySettings-> Use Wireless Networks (DISABLED);
Settings->Location & SecuritySettings-> Use GPS Satellites (ENABLED)

If you then go into Maps, and click "My Location", it returns a "Your current location is temporarily unavailable". If you ENABLE wireless networks above, then this works. However, regardless of the wireless network setting, in Manhattan, I cannot get the actual nav system to work, nor apps like GPS Status.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones