• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root anyones phone run at 500-550mhz when charging?

amageus

Android Enthusiast
Dec 24, 2009
Ive noticed that my phone runs at 500-550mhz regardless of what profile i have setcpu set for charging. At first i thought it was usb debugging but when i have it on my wall or car charger it ramps up to 500-500mhz. I have tried setting my phone with setcpu to run 250/250/ when charging at it goes straight to 500-550mhz. I confirmed this with system panel as well. This happens in both bugless beast v.04 and kangerade 5.0.3. I even removed setcpu and notice the phone going to 500-550mhz. Is anyone having this same issue? I had my phone on the car charger with 70% with the scren on during a trip with no programs running. At the end of the trip the phone was at 40% and running hot. Not exactly what i want when its suppoe to be charging.

Do you have any other profiles? What are their respective priorities? What version of setcpu are you running?

On the bright side, I don't believe the heat you're experiencing during charging is due to the proc speed, its just latent heat dispersion from the battery charging and the screen illumination. It takes some work to charge these things, and the process is definitely not 100% efficient. The screen devours energy when its on as well. Did you happen to note your battery temp when you noticed the heat?

Upvote 0
Possibly your kernel. What kernel are you running? If it's the wrong kernel or improper one, it could be messing with your settings. I had a weird version of p3 kernel and for some reason my ROM wasn't liking it and kept giving funky readings on my battery as well as my CPU speeds. Also, after you flash a ROM or restore a ROM, you have to go back into setCPU and "redo" some of your settings because I noticed that when I restored my ROM after flashing a bad kernel, even though my profiles still said they were set I had to "click" on them again and reconfirm them before the profiles would go into effect.

Upvote 0
Bump because I'm experiencing the same thing with BB 0.4, Chevy LV 1.0 GHz and wondering if it's unsafe or wears down the battery or processor more if it's running at 550 all the time while charging.

Thanks in advance for any insight on this matter! :)

I stumbled across this thread and noticed the same thing while charging. I have it set to 250/550 w/ BB 0.4 and Chevy ulv 1.2Ghz.

When charging it runs at 550Mhz consistently. Even if I change it to 250/400 it runs at 550Mhz consistently. When I unplugged it there was a drop to 250. Has anyone contacted the dev of setcpu or Chevy or Pete?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones