• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anything at MWC making you reconsider getting the Atrix?

Roze are you planning on getting the Atrix instead of the Nexus S like your profile says? :)
Depends how lock the bootloader is. As the phone will have no support from Moto sometime in the future...I want it to have at least the dev support for years to come like the G1/Hero. I'm still waiting for the AT&T Nexus S to get announced :mad: I thought about it and I need fast data so the Tmo Nexus S is a no go for Rogers. From my estimation, both phones should be out the same time in Canada...i.e mid to late March. I'm basing the Nexus S' released date after the Nexus One's which was March 16, 2010. Rumour that Bell is releasing the Atrix on March 17.

Upvote 0
Im liking the Optimus 2x alot. Unlocked to start with, benchmarks are puting it atop nearly all phones, has hdmi out with fantastic mirroring capablities, most all the bells an whistles that the atrix has an no blur no bootloader issue, an getting released in early march as well! I can wait to see how it pans out

The 2x does look pretty nice but their skin looks even worse than blur. Almost all the reviews noted how "crashy" it was. Granted LG hasn't encrypted a bootloader before but we actually don't know how easy it will be to crack. We still don't really know about the Atrix bootloader either. We all assume it's going to be encrypted and signed but I have yet to see a single piece of evidence confirming or denying it.

The current incarnation of the Optimus 2x doesn't have the bands for AT&T and so far nothing has been announced about it's availability on any US carrier. I'm not 100% sure if it would even work on T-Mobile's network because they are the only carrier I know of that uses AWS 1700/2100 and the current 2x uses 900/2100 for 3g.

Upvote 0
Well most GSM/HSDPA phones that are made for Europe have a HSDPA frequency of 900/1700 and not 850/1900. Usually those phones go to Tmobile as it's compatible with Tmo. Unless one of the other carriers here specifically has a deal with LG that is not Tmo and requires LG to change the frequencies on the phone to match their network, which is more expensive. AT&T just seems the most logical I guess.

The 1700 range is reserved for T-Mo "USA"..."Europe" employs 900/2100 for UMTS/GSM in many cases.

Upvote 0
The 1700 range is reserved for T-Mo "USA"..."Europe" employs 900/2100 for UMTS/GSM in many cases.
I know 2100 is used mostly in Europe. One reason why they can use either AT&T or TMo's phones since most of the phones carry that frequency. I heard that the higher frequency like 2100 has less building penetration? But with the Optimus 3D being only HSDPA 850 / 1900 Mhz would that mean that the phone is uncombatible in Europe?

Upvote 0
I know 2100 is used mostly in Europe. One reason why they can use either AT&T or TMo's phones since most of the phones carry that frequency. I heard that the higher frequency like 2100 has less building penetration? But with the Optimus 3D being only HSDPA 850 / 1900 Mhz would that mean that the phone is uncombatible in Europe?

Well most european phones do work on T-mobile and AT&T in the US, but not necessarily on 3g (the galaxy s 2 has quad band umts which is why it will work on AT&T's 3g network as is)

You are spot on that the the higher the frequency the worse the penetration and generally the shorter the range as well, but higher frequency have more bandwidth for higher data rates. It's one of the reasons AT&T transitioned to mostly 850 HSDPA where-ever they could.

I don't think the Optimus 3d has 850 HSPA, at least not from the specs websites I saw. It looks to have the same 900/2100 that the 2X has.

Upvote 0

My girl is able to use her AT&T branded Nokia e71x ( has 850/1900 bands only) in France/Spain (confirmed). I'm would not doubt its ability to work on other carriers in other countries within the EU.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones