• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anything to watch out for when buying the Nexus 4?

Colmss

Apr 7, 2011
Hi,

like many I have been hoping for a Nexus 5 at google's I/O but was disappointed. Now I want to get the Nexus 4 after I have returned my Galaxy Nexus because it was not working properly anymore.

Is there anything I should watch out for like the yakju build of the Galaxy Nexus or any other problems that are well known? I can return the phone within two weeks so I would like to make sure I have a "good" one ;)

Thank you!

Apparently some of the more recent N4s have 'nipples' on the back which makes it a tad less of a slippery wee .. thing. I don't know how widespread these are or how effective (given I don't have 'em and can't get 'em, I wasn't too interested :)) There's a thread on here discussing them - might be worth a look.

Some people apparently have minor rattles around the camera lens, but it's generally agreed that this is not a problem per se.

Other'n that, can't think of anything you need to be careful about. Build quality is actually pretty good.

All I would say is that I definitely do not regret my decision to go for the 16GB model. Given the lack of SD card, I would highly recommend anyone else to go for it, too .. if it's within their means, of course.

Oh - and as PlayfulGod says, if you possibly can, you should definitely buy direct from Google Play: it's the cheapest way.

Enjoy your new phone!

Reactions: kingdeeray
Upvote 0
Got mine on Tues & it has the nipples. I don't think they are there to make it less slick, I think it was add so the speaker wouldn't be muffled when put on table.

nothing on mine by the camera. But, there are two little nipples along the bottom edge on the back. Is that what you mean? Still doesn't help the speaker much... the speaker is so soft.

BOb

Upvote 0
nothing on mine by the camera. But, there are two little nipples along the bottom edge on the back. Is that what you mean? Still doesn't help the speaker much... the speaker is so soft

I tend to have my phone face down to address the speaker issue, but I guess the nipples would also help there, too.

Re the volume, it's actually not too bad compared to my last phone, but it's definitely not loud. I actually bought an XMI X-Mini external speaker for use where I don't have a proper external speaker to hand. Only cost around $15 and is surprisingly loud for such a tiny wee thing.

Upvote 0
The purpose of the nipples is to create a slight air gap between the back of the phone and the table it is resting on.

Let me explain why this is important. The back of the phone is perfectly flat and when placed on a perfectly flat surface, there is a suction that will make a tight air seal. Now if the phone happens to ring while on it's back, the back will vibrate and introduce a slight amount of air. This trapped air will become an air cushion and cause the phone to "float" with almost no friction (ever play air hockey? see a hovercraft?). If the surface the phone is resting on is slightly inclined, it will float/slide off the surface. and crash onto the floor.

By adding these slight bumps, the perfectly flat surfaces are no longer in tight contact so no air can become trapped and the phone will not float off the table when it rings.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones