1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Anything worth doing following firmware upgrade?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MAWglobal, Jun 6, 2011.

1. MAWglobal

MAWglobal Lurker
    None

Jun 5, 2011
    Farnborough, UK
    Just want to get peoples opinions on this...

I had trouble upgrading to 2.3 Gingerbread from 2.2 Froyo on my SGS, which was ultimately resolved by doing a (software) reset at which point Kies recognised an upgrade was possible. It also seemed to fix something where the newest Kies couldn't access my phonebook- after the upgrade that worked fine.

Now I'm running Droid 2.3 I was slightly surprised this morning to see my battery was at 88% charge coming straight off the charger! And it seems to burn battery through the day quicker than it used to. Now disabled all auto-updates that were set. But I get some funny problems with the odd app- generally running a few times then disappear off the phone.

So- is there any benefit in doing a system reset every once in a while? Backing up your numbers, clearing everything out and then reloading everything?

On the one hand it's going a bit Windows 98, but on the other if it helps things worksmoothly who am I to argue?

Advertisement

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Generally speaking, I'd say a factory reset is only worth doing as a last resort.

However, I'm sure there's no harm in doing them once in a while. I've had my current handset since November and I've done it twice. How regularly are you talking?

3. t sport 1978

t sport 1978 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I know my phone benefits from a power off-power on now and again, this however is not a soft reset (power button 8 seconds).

As for 2.3 update, when i did mine i had the following problems:

1. Facebook integrated account Session Expired
    2. Battery drain.

FB problem was fixed with removing the fb account from the phone, then delete the Samsung application access from my actual FB page, then re-entering the fb account on the phone.

The battery problem might have been coincidental with gingerbread update. Basically i have had my phone for nearly exactly a year, the original battery have had a daily recharge since new, I think the battery cell just needed to be replaced. So i replaced it, and the power drain problem went away over night.

Good luck with your problem.

4. MAWglobal

MAWglobal Lurker
    None

Jun 5, 2011
    Farnborough, UK
    El Presidente- Dunno really- say every 6 months to clean out any accumulated crap and have a fresh start?

t-sport- if anything doesn't seem quite right the first thing I'll try is an IT-Crowd stylee is turning-it-off-and-on-again :)

I'm happier with battery life now- I disabled loads of options that were set to automatically sync and update. There's still more stuff running in the background than I'd like but I guess only taking the plunge and rooting the phone will allow me to gain control over all that.

Cheers for the replies,

Mark

5. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    That's not gonna be a problem at all then.

6. darkone69

darkone69 Newbie
    None

May 25, 2010
    I had the same issue, at night the phone was at 72% and in morning the phone said 100% charged, so unplugged charger and instantly the battery level dropped to 75%. This happens every night. Spoke to Samsung UK and they said Factory reset (did nothing to fix the fault), check battery (at