• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Anyway to increase Ringer Volume

darkcyber

Android Expert
Nov 12, 2009
North Alabama
I had an original Droid before getting my Droid X. I am using the exact same custom ringtones I made for my Droid on my Droid X and my Droid X is much, much lower on ringer volume, even at max setting. Due to this, I am missing tons of text messages and a bunch of phone calls when I am in a place that has even slight noise.

On my Droid, I could hear my ringer even in the noisiest of places. I can't hardly hear my Droid X in the quiet places. Are there any tips, tricks, or hacks that can increase the overall volume on the X?

The 2.2 update definately has louder ring tones. But there are (free) Ring Tones available on the Internet that are much louder than those that come with the phone. I installed some of these with 2.1 and they were MUCH louder. Rather than installing the 2.2 update, I would just get some of these.

Note that these Ring Tones must be installed to a specific directory on your SD Card, and that you must Power off/on your phone afterward for your phone to "see" them.

Upvote 0
The 2.2 update definately has louder ring tones. But there are (free) Ring Tones available on the Internet that are much louder than those that come with the phone. I installed some of these with 2.1 and they were MUCH louder. Rather than installing the 2.2 update, I would just get some of these.

Note that these Ring Tones must be installed to a specific directory on your SD Card, and that you must Power off/on your phone afterward for your phone to "see" them.

While this is true, the update did actually increase the volume of the speaker. This seems like a good workaround until the OTA update though.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the posts. I have a custom ringtone that I made myself and it is pretty loud (I amplified it with my audio editing software, but can't go any louder without having a clipping issue), at least on my regular old Droid it was loud. But on the X, everything is low, even my loud custom ringtone. So, it must be a hardware/software X thing.

On my old Droid I used the default 'Droid' sound for my incoming text messages and I could hear it perfect. But on the X, I can never hear it if my phone is in my case.

Is there any way to make the phone vibrate longer when receiving an incoming call or text message. My X seems to just slightly vibrate and only for a very short time. If the vibration could be made to go longer, then I might could use that to tell I am receiving a new call or message.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the posts. I have a custom ringtone that I made myself and it is pretty loud (I amplified it with my audio editing software, but can't go any louder without having a clipping issue), at least on my regular old Droid it was loud. But on the X, everything is low, even my loud custom ringtone. So, it must be a hardware/software X thing.

On my old Droid I used the default 'Droid' sound for my incoming text messages and I could hear it perfect. But on the X, I can never hear it if my phone is in my case.

Is there any way to make the phone vibrate longer when receiving an incoming call or text message. My X seems to just slightly vibrate and only for a very short time. If the vibration could be made to go longer, then I might could use that to tell I am receiving a new call or message.

With handcent you can adjust the vibration and lenght

Upvote 0
chrlswltrs,

Thank you very much. This will help until Motorola and Verizon finally decide to admit a volume problem with the X and hopefully fix it. But they will probably just keep saying it doesn't exist. Can anyone say IPhone 4 all over again :D Apple repeatedly said nothing was wrong and they finally did own up to it...hopefully there will be enough pressure and both will admit and deal with it.

Help me out here, doing a search in the market for handcent, all I can seem to find is handcent font packs and handcent sms...don't think that is probably what you are talking about.

I did find another listed in the market called Smart Vibrator that says it does the same thing.

Upvote 0
chrlswltrs,

Thank you very much. This will help until Motorola and Verizon finally decide to admit a volume problem with the X and hopefully fix it. But they will probably just keep saying it doesn't exist. Can anyone say IPhone 4 all over again :D Apple repeatedly said nothing was wrong and they finally did own up to it...hopefully there will be enough pressure and both will admit and deal with it.

Help me out here, doing a search in the market for handcent, all I can seem to find is handcent font packs and handcent sms...don't think that is probably what you are talking about.

I did find another listed in the market called Smart Vibrator that says it does the same thing.

Yes, I was talking about handcent SMS. It replaces your stock messaging app and has a ton of customization options including setting your vibrate alerts how you want for SMS.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones