• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyway to Password Protect Lock Screen

SeattleYanksFan

Android Expert
Mar 1, 2010
USA
Sorry if this has been asked, I did a search and came up empty.

Am I missing something or is there no way to password protect the lock screen with Android (without some app)?

I can live without it, but considering how much personal info we store on our phones these days, I'd at least like to know if I have the option.

Thanks

Sorry if this has been asked, I did a search and came up empty.

Am I missing something or is there no way to password protect the lock screen with Android (without some app)?

I can live without it, but considering how much personal info we store on our phones these days, I'd at least like to know if I have the option.

Thanks

You can, but it's not a password; it's a "lock pattern". Check it out in your security settings.

Edit: d'oh.

Reactions: SeattleYanksFan
Upvote 0
Actually, is a pattern much easier to crack than numbers? Seems like it to me.

Not really, because the length and complexity of the pattern can vary greatly. The biggest security risk is the fact that the path traced often leaves a visible smudge on the screen making it relatively easy to guess if you don't wipe it off. The same is true for a pin number or something similar, though. It's another good justification for the anti-fingerprint screen protector.

Upvote 0
Actually, is a pattern much easier to crack than numbers? Seems like it to me.

Depends on how many "patterns" there are to choose from. It's a matter of how many possibly permutations you can create with the available "patterns," whether they consist of directions of the swipe, numbers, letters, etc. If there are 4 directions needed and 9 possible directions to swipe each time, then it would be the same protection, theoretically, as the iPhone OS lock.

Upvote 0
The phone allows some interesting patterns as well.

You can cut diagonally between points more than one spot away. So if my swipe was a number my code is something like
2, 5, 8, 3, 6, 9
assuming the dots match 10-key
you can't use the same dot twice
and you can't go from 7 to 9 directly skipping 8, but you can go from 7 to 6 then to 1 in strange diagonal cuts. So the code can be up to 9 digits long, but can't reuse any digits so what would that be 9! except you also have to take out any combinations like the 7 to 9.

I'm sure someone better at math can figure out the total number of combinations.

Upvote 0
another cool trick I found is if you have d/l'd the app antivirus it allows you to customize the lock pattern screen with 3 lines of text info i.e. An email address, an alternate number. Thus allowing anyone who gets access to your phone, in case you lose it, a way to contact you.

Open Antivirus> Menu> Settings > Remote Management > Lost Message

It even lets you preview the messages.

Once setup, after you swipe the initial unlock screen, your info will be shown right above the pattern unlock screen. hope this helps someone, it helped me.

Upvote 0
The phone allows some interesting patterns as well.

You can cut diagonally between points more than one spot away. So if my swipe was a number my code is something like
2, 5, 8, 3, 6, 9
assuming the dots match 10-key
you can't use the same dot twice
and you can't go from 7 to 9 directly skipping 8, but you can go from 7 to 6 then to 1 in strange diagonal cuts. So the code can be up to 9 digits long, but can't reuse any digits so what would that be 9! except you also have to take out any combinations like the 7 to 9.

I'm sure someone better at math can figure out the total number of combinations.

That was very confusing

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones