• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root AOSenseP2beta--Updated 10/26/12--mini-update

the installer will tell you to reboot immediately but don't do it. follow these instructions instead.

View attachment 40264

After installing, wipe your cache, then Dalvik, then fix permissions, then reboot.

I just broke my mms and fixed it with this zip...get back to me soon

I installed and can receive messages and pics

Reactions: HaydenM
Upvote 0
Mine works

I installed and can receive messages and pics

first not working for me , i install again doin clean cache , format data cache , after that i just can recieve pic but dont send , well i flash you mms2.zip in now everything is working i can receive y send pics :) .

So I guess we can say mms is fixed......As far as the power button freezing the phone if you press it when it's ringing the only solution I have as of right now is to press a volume button instead.

OP Update as well

Reactions: mholloway
Upvote 0
Mms still down

What carrier are you on?

I just began looking at the ROM files and wondering if mms is only working for the Boost people. I have not installed it as my Hero S no longer has service as I changed phones. But the build.prop is set to Boost, and the apns.xml in the framework-res.apk is set to boost.

Can someone confirm either Sprint or US Cell working mms?

Upvote 0
What carrier are you on?

I just began looking at the ROM files and wondering if mms is only working for the Boost people. I have not installed it as my Hero S no longer has service as I changed phones. But the build.prop is set to Boost, and the apns.xml in the framework-res.apk is set to boost.

Can someone confirm either Sprint or US Cell working mms?

This Rom was written for boost only but it would probably work on sprint with no modification. The build prop on my warp had all sprint info and the sprint prls would work as well. Mms was still not working even with the stock framework file aNd other carrier specific files. The way I got it to work was with the TB tar.gz with the contents of the file_parts folder removed. TB shows it as dialer storage and in the backup its com.android.providers.telephony. after digging around I think the removal of the stock browser broke mms. HTC puts checks in everywhere.

Upvote 0
This Rom was written for boost only but it would probably work on sprint with no modification. The build prop on my warp had all sprint info and the sprint prls would work as well. Mms was still not working even with the stock framework file aNd other carrier specific files. The way I got it to work was with the TB tar.gz with the contents of the file_parts folder removed. TB shows it as dialer storage and in the backup its com.android.providers.telephony. after digging around I think the removal of the stock browser broke mms. HTC puts checks in everywhere.

There is a slight difference in mms settings for the sprint and boost specoficaly the server not sure if they are interchangeable. I loaded the Rom on my dead phone to check it out. Quite impressed still some bloat left. I will play with it for today and upload it and send you a link for you to test out. The bloat o am refering to is not apps but dead files in /etc and customize

The build.props should be edited for each carrier if you want it to interchange. All I want is to know if anyone in sprint or uscc has tried the Rom and their input on mms and the market as also.

Upvote 0
There is a slight difference in mms settings for the sprint and boost specoficaly the server not sure if they are interchangeable. I loaded the Rom on my dead phone to check it out. Quite impressed still some bloat left. I will play with it for today and upload it and send you a link for you to test out. The bloat o am refering to is not apps but dead files in /etc and customize

The build.props should be edited for each carrier if you want it to interchange. All I want is to know if anyone in sprint or uscc has tried the Rom and their input on mms and the market as also.

With some things not working I was trying notto go too overboard on the deleting of things. It does need some cleaning up, i agree....The google now is bloated as hell but 80 % of it or more is libs and usr language and speech files...It seems like a pretty useful program though for its space its using, better than the pitt patt crap anyways IMO.

Upvote 0

I can confirm MMS still is not working for sprint but market is fine.

Upvote 0
What a giant mess. Like what you are trying to do but as I mentioned to you before in one of my messages I would start new from the ground up and implement everything fresh instead of from a backup. Yeah it will be hard work but you will only get the fluidity and cross carrier functionality this way. I went and changed decompiled some apks, changed a few things and had someone test them for me. I then browsed the file structure and saw allot of stuff that makes no sense and not even sure how it got to be that way. Here are some examples;

in the system/etc directory there is a apn.conf file. not sure what purpose this even serves. On AOSP ROMS the apns-conf.xml resides in system/etc but this file is just a plaintext file in your ROM it is not designated as an .xml not sure if your mms application is trying to read the APNs from this file as AOSP would do or from where, surely it is not reading them for mms from framewrok-res.apk as I did edit the apns.xml in that apk, and also modified the build.prop with a few other changes to see what would work.

Also you have a system/etc/init.d folder but in system/etc you have three scripts just floating in there, not sure what they do or what purpose they serve or even if they are being called by anything. One of them is for the quemu emulator and setting ip settings on an ethernet interface.

There is so much more that i could write here, one question I thought you where running the v4 kernel on the ROM, my system information showed the stock htc kernel.

Anyway, here is where I am coming from. When i began doing developing I was very harshly criticized by some of the devs (one in particular I will not mention but who I owe allot to). Please understand that I am not trying to discourage you. On the contrary I am trying to push you to accomplish what you truly want and that is to excel in your development work. Easy fixes and what i call the cut and paste method of developing will always keep you running like a chicken with your head cut off. Because one fix will probably break something else along the way. Back in another forum I saw a Dev trying to load his ROMs with so much stuff to make them attractive that he ended up just making a mess of what he had.

I owe 2fast allot, but one thing i learned from him that has been the best lesson i learned is the way to develop a ROM from a base. You would be surprised how much time and effort it takes, but if you looked at the files in xfuzzion, iced speed, etc you will see a cleanliness though out that is a reflection of the work spent. I dont have the Hero S activated (I exchanged phone models last week) so i can not troubleshoot the mms issue for you to find out what in the world is going on, your fix might work but in my opinion it is not the cleanest and thus why I was wanting to look at this. So for you and any other person reading this here is some wisdom i learned and whoever wants to use it can and whoever does not then oh well....

First and foremost LOG WHAT YOU ARE DOING! Keep a text file on what changes you are doing to the ROM...this is so valuable in the future, specially when making smali edits, also it helps you keep a rack of things. While we worked on IcedSpeed, the developers logged changes and then uploaded the commits to a central ftp server where we would be able to check out the newest version and also read the work included by the developers themselves. IcedSpeed went through like 12 revisions in about 3 weeks of many hours before it went public. Always have testers for each carrier, be patient (2fast taught me that quite well, as I was always ready to move on but he was never satisfied with the result just yet...at the end I realized that this was a crucial virtue to have)

Begin with your base ROM, and debloat, this means not just your apks, but for example sense has all the ebooks under /etc and allot of junk in resources/customize. go through the file structure and get rid of all the added junk to the phone. Now get the basics working before adding anything else. MMS, 4G, ADB, USB storage, work on each one at a time, and make sure they are working before moving on. DONT go easy on problems, have it working the right way, not by some half @$$ hack. This will help you understand how it all works together and will increase the know how for your own benefit. include the kernel you are using on your skeleton.

Now after the skeleton is working then add your APM, and other features like beats, and what else you want...take your time work out the bugs with patience. Always have your testers give feedback. Good testers are hard to find. the ones that break everything are the best.

It takes allot of work. Trust me I did not just take 30 minutes out my day to barage you. The opposite. Take it for what its worth. Get some testers. Pull the ROM for a few weeks work on it from the ground up again, learn a few things along the way. When you are ready to relaunch it will be all you ever wanted it to be and then more, not only that, when anyone has an issue 9 out of 10 you will know exactly if it is an ID-10-T issue or a real issue with the ROM.

If I knew what had been done and where I would be much help with it, but as i look at the spaghetti mess I see in the file structure I cringe and just want to yell. its like walking into an episode of hoarders...lol I like what you are doing, not sure how it would end up if you started new, but I encourage you to redo it all from the base as I did in the past and build it all from the ground up again....

best of luck

Upvote 0
What a giant mess. Like what you are trying to do but as I mentioned to you before in one of my messages I would start new from the ground up and implement everything fresh instead of from a backup. Yeah it will be hard work but you will only get the fluidity and cross carrier functionality this way. I went and changed decompiled some apks, changed a few things and had someone test them for me. I then browsed the file structure and saw allot of stuff that makes no sense and not even sure how it got to be that way. Here are some examples;

in the system/etc directory there is a apn.conf file. not sure what purpose this even serves. On AOSP ROMS the apns-conf.xml resides in system/etc but this file is just a plaintext file in your ROM it is not designated as an .xml not sure if your mms application is trying to read the APNs from this file as AOSP would do or from where, surely it is not reading them for mms from framewrok-res.apk as I did edit the apns.xml in that apk, and also modified the build.prop with a few other changes to see what would work.

Also you have a system/etc/init.d folder but in system/etc you have three scripts just floating in there, not sure what they do or what purpose they serve or even if they are being called by anything. One of them is for the quemu emulator and setting ip settings on an ethernet interface.

There is so much more that i could write here, one question I thought you where running the v4 kernel on the ROM, my system information showed the stock htc kernel.

Anyway, here is where I am coming from. When i began doing developing I was very harshly criticized by some of the devs (one in particular I will not mention but who I owe allot to). Please understand that I am not trying to discourage you. On the contrary I am trying to push you to accomplish what you truly want and that is to excel in your development work. Easy fixes and what i call the cut and paste method of developing will always keep you running like a chicken with your head cut off. Because one fix will probably break something else along the way. Back in another forum I saw a Dev trying to load his ROMs with so much stuff to make them attractive that he ended up just making a mess of what he had.

I owe 2fast allot, but one thing i learned from him that has been the best lesson i learned is the way to develop a ROM from a base. You would be surprised how much time and effort it takes, but if you looked at the files in xfuzzion, iced speed, etc you will see a cleanliness though out that is a reflection of the work spent. I dont have the Hero S activated (I exchanged phone models last week) so i can not troubleshoot the mms issue for you to find out what in the world is going on, your fix might work but in my opinion it is not the cleanest and thus why I was wanting to look at this. So for you and any other person reading this here is some wisdom i learned and whoever wants to use it can and whoever does not then oh well....

First and foremost LOG WHAT YOU ARE DOING! Keep a text file on what changes you are doing to the ROM...this is so valuable in the future, specially when making smali edits, also it helps you keep a rack of things. While we worked on IcedSpeed, the developers logged changes and then uploaded the commits to a central ftp server where we would be able to check out the newest version and also read the work included by the developers themselves. IcedSpeed went through like 12 revisions in about 3 weeks of many hours before it went public. Always have testers for each carrier, be patient (2fast taught me that quite well, as I was always ready to move on but he was never satisfied with the result just yet...at the end I realized that this was a crucial virtue to have)

Begin with your base ROM, and debloat, this means not just your apks, but for example sense has all the ebooks under /etc and allot of junk in resources/customize. go through the file structure and get rid of all the added junk to the phone. Now get the basics working before adding anything else. MMS, 4G, ADB, USB storage, work on each one at a time, and make sure they are working before moving on. DONT go easy on problems, have it working the right way, not by some half @$$ hack. This will help you understand how it all works together and will increase the know how for your own benefit. include the kernel you are using on your skeleton.

Now after the skeleton is working then add your APM, and other features like beats, and what else you want...take your time work out the bugs with patience. Always have your testers give feedback. Good testers are hard to find. the ones that break everything are the best.

It takes allot of work. Trust me I did not just take 30 minutes out my day to barage you. The opposite. Take it for what its worth. Get some testers. Pull the ROM for a few weeks work on it from the ground up again, learn a few things along the way. When you are ready to relaunch it will be all you ever wanted it to be and then more, not only that, when anyone has an issue 9 out of 10 you will know exactly if it is an ID-10-T issue or a real issue with the ROM.

If I knew what had been done and where I would be much help with it, but as i look at the spaghetti mess I see in the file structure I cringe and just want to yell. its like walking into an episode of hoarders...lol I like what you are doing, not sure how it would end up if you started new, but I encourage you to redo it all from the base as I did in the past and build it all from the ground up again....

best of luck

There are some files that need to be cleaned up but we are talking a very minimal amount of crap. The scripts you speak of can be found in almost any other ROM like the goldfish one you mentioned. The mms fix is a "patch" but you will not find too many desensed roms with working MMS period.

What this ROM needs is a new Settings.apk to get rid of some of the remaining bugs. There are probably some lib files not being used as well but they were not worth messing with and breaking something.

yes there are apks from different phones and versions but they were the most functional versions.

I would like to learn how to decompile and modify some of the internals but that I have not had the time for.

honestly this ROM is 100% more functional than the CM9 or 10 releases for this phone and outperforms both in every category function wise, hands on wise and with better performance. I like my 4g, bluetooth,GPS and all the other features I bought the phone for and everyone of those things are working as of right now and if I stripped the extras off like the unneeded google apps and other optional stuff you would still have a fully functioning ROM with a zip size of less than 140 MB

Ill post one if you would like.

Upvote 0
I tried out this rom, but it seems that force closing apps is broken, can't even do it with titanium. I need that ability for Google voice to retry sending texts. Also, the hot reboot option didn't work.

I did a factory reset and formatted /system before flashing.

which version of the rom , what rom are you coming from and who is your carrier?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones