1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root AOSP Frustration

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MizzouBrent, Aug 19, 2011.

1. MizzouBrent

MizzouBrent Android Expert
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    Olathe, KS
    I am at the end of my rope with AOSP. I can't figure out a mystery battery drain problem I have been having. Let me preface this by saying I've seen it on CM7.1 RC1, Deck, CM7 nightly builds and with Tiamat and SavagedZen kernels, so I feel like I've tried pretty much everything.

The GPS has long been an issue for many on CM7, but there are alternate GPS drivers that are flashable. So my normal procedure for AOSP is to flash the rom, Gapps, kernel and the GPS fix. (it's the qualcomm driver in Galandy's thread over on XDA). Everybody seems to report great battery life with these combos, but for some reason, I get battery drain and it's not even caused by anything that I can see.

No wakelocks show up in anything, but my battery life just plummets even with the phone sleeping. GPS is not running. It's not even a calibration issue because if I run Sense, everything works just fine. Anybody have any ideas? I can't figure it out for the life of me.

If I go to bed with my battery in the 40-50% range and just sitting on the table, it will be dead when I wake up in the morning. It even happened to me last night with a fresh install of CM7.1 RC1 without any apps really even installed. Like I said, the battery info shows that my phone is sleeping, but my battery just drops like a rock.

Advertisement

2. An UrgeTo Dance

An UrgeTo Dance The Hero of the Winds
    None

Jul 22, 2010
    Male
    Go into your accounts and sync settings and see what all is syncing, I had terrible life because Picasa was trying to sync when I don't have a picacsa account. Also can you post a link to where you found the gps driver please.

3. MizzouBrent

None

Feb 13, 2011
    Olathe, KS
    Just my google account and then facebook, which I always set to refresh my contacts once per day. It's weird, and I can't figure it out.

Here are the GPS fixes. I forgot to mention, my CPU is not pegged at 100% with anything either.

[FIX][AOSP][MIUI] All GPS fixes! - xda-developers

4. An UrgeTo Dance

An UrgeTo Dance The Hero of the Winds
    None

Jul 22, 2010
    Male
    Select the google account, thats where the Picasa account is. Thanks for posting the link.

5. tube517

tube517 Android Expert

Jun 7, 2010
    Male
    USA
    Which Tiamat kernel are you flashing? I get great battery life with 4.06 sbc (tiamat) on Decks 1.3b...YMMV

Others use earlier versions of Tiamat and have great battery life.

Just got to find that right combo.

6. MizzouBrent

None

Feb 13, 2011
    Olathe, KS
    I don't think it's kernel related. I used the most recent Tiamat, older Tiamat kernels and SZ. And if it was something like Picasa, wouldn't that show up in my battery usage as the phone being awake?

7. takirb

takirb Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 20, 2010
    Systems Analyst/Network Admin
    S. Carolina
    It's not struggling for signal or anything is it? I think AOSP disables wifi when screen is off by default, and if you're in a bad 3G area but normally connected to wifi, then maybe when the screen is off it drops wifi and struggles for 3g? Just trying to remember things i battled when on AOSP...

8. ariot

ariot Newbie
    None

Jun 15, 2010
    Systems Consulting
    Dallas, TX

I had the same problem with my EVO. I have CM7 running on my Nook Color without any problems. But with the EVO, it apparently countinues to run something and none of the tools, Spare Parts, etc will identify the culprit. I worked on this issue for about 3 weeks, trying something new every day and finally gave up and went back to my Nandroid backup (Kings 2.3.3). CM7 on my EVO allowed me to tether both my Nook Color and ipod touch at speeds of 3-5Mb/s but with other roms, only the ipod touch will connect at those speeds. My Nook Color will grind to a halt. Finally found out I could get some decent tethering speed - about 1Mb/s on my Nook Color and my Kings Rom on the EVO if I turned 4g off.

The title of the thread is so apt. I wanted CM7 on my EVO so bad, but it did not work out. The phone was constantly warm to the touch and the screen misty from the heat.

MizzouBrent likes this.
  9. MizzouBrent

None

Feb 13, 2011
    Olathe, KS
    Wow, at least I didn't have any heat problems. That stinks, and I love CM7, but at the end of the day, I need my phone to work and not suck battery for no apparent reason. At least I have finally found someone else who has struggled. It's weird, because this is the 2nd phone I've noticed this on. It used to work fine on my old phone for a long time, and then I started having issues, and with my new one I've had nothing but issues with AOSP. Then I read of people flashing my exact setup with none. Weird.

At least the new sense stuff is so good that I don't really miss AOSP.

10. geewhiz

geewhiz Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 10, 2010
    bayou country
    What radio versions are you using?

11. MizzouBrent

None

Feb 13, 2011
    Olathe, KS
    All the current radios. With my old phone I had tried PRI 1.77 with the same results.

12. geewhiz

geewhiz Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 10, 2010
    bayou country
    My pri is 1.90 which isn't the newest but was golden with gingerbread asop, cm7 with tiamat 4.0.6. and miui with savagezen.

Tags: