• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AOSP, Mistakes and Problems

First my mistakes. Coming from the computer world to the smartphone world, I loaded the AOSP ROM first, then rebooted & checked for problems. It rebooted fine and I tested it for a while. So then I loaded the GAPPS zip rebooted and that worked. But only for a short time and I lost sync ability. It took me a day of testing to realize that the ROM and the GAPPS have to be loaded before any reboots and tests. My mistake -- not sure if others have this problem. When loaded at the same time, all is well with sync.
Secondly - I still have the following problems and seek assistance.

1. SMS msgs. I can send, but can't receive. People get my msgs, respond and it never shows up. I'm using the vanilla version, but it was the same with Handcent.
  2. The following apps give me a force close. I still have another 40 apps that all work. Why these apps? Do they work for others. I have uninstalled them and re-installed & still I get force close.

• Yelp
  • Flikster (movies)
  • Cardar lite
  • Find Starbucks (various Starbucks apps)
  • ShopSavy
Thank you in advance for any help you can provide. AOSP lets me keep my Hero for another year. Speed is impressive.

I will assume you are on the 9.9.1 version, if yes, then clear your Cache and Davlik, then open ROM manger and click on fix permission, and report back

First my mistakes. Coming from the computer world to the smartphone world, I loaded the AOSP ROM first, then rebooted & checked for problems. It rebooted fine and I tested it for a while. So then I loaded the GAPPS zip rebooted and that worked. But only for a short time and I lost sync ability. It took me a day of testing to realize that the ROM and the GAPPS have to be loaded before any reboots and tests. My mistake -- not sure if others have this problem. When loaded at the same time, all is well with sync.
Secondly - I still have the following problems and seek assistance.

1. SMS msgs. I can send, but can't receive. People get my msgs, respond and it never shows up. I'm using the vanilla version, but it was the same with Handcent.
  2. The following apps give me a force close. I still have another 40 apps that all work. Why these apps? Do they work for others. I have uninstalled them and re-installed & still I get force close.

• Yelp
  • Flikster (movies)
  • Cardar lite
  • Find Starbucks (various Starbucks apps)
  • ShopSavy
Thank you in advance for any help you can provide. AOSP lets me keep my Hero for another year. Speed is impressive.

Upvote 0
Has a few bugs repairs, bluetooth bootloops, and boot screen animations, etc...

Code:
Bootloop fixes 9.9.1 , Weatherbug fixed updated android code new stable Kernel
with new Gapps package in the first post and stock 0.9.9 I am using MTD 67 2 with Firerat Mod

is 0.9.9.1 better than 0.9.7?

Upvote 0
Im on .9.9 - A bit leaner then .9.8....You will have to download a few extra things -
You don't HAVE to wipe and then set it back up again. Some have had success flashing .8 over .9 - no framework changes.

Even with the wipe - between TB and google backup - most everything will restore (going from same ROM build)

Dave - on the SMS - Flash back to a sense based rom - your messages will load. Nandroid back to AOSP and you should be in biz.

+1 on the fix permissions....to solve FC's

Are you Running AOSP Mod or CM-Vanilla?

Upvote 0
Yes and if you have Google apps set up then it will also install your apps, setting the phone up is a breeze, all you have to do is set up your screens again, but here is what I would try if I were you, do a fresh Nandroid back up, then make sure 9.9.1 is on your SD card, then flash into recovery, then wipe Cache, and Davlik and flash 9.9.1 over your present ROM, and you will not have to set anything up, if you do not have any issues then you are good to go, if you do then you will have to do a full wipe, flash Rom and Gapps again and let Google install your apps,then simply proceed with setting your screen up.

is it worth having to set everything up again? is it faster, better, or in any way worth the time?

Upvote 0
I will assume you are on the 9.9.1 version, if yes, then clear your Cache and Davlik, then open ROM manger and click on fix permission, and report back

I am on 9.9.1. Did all of this and no change. Also Places stopped working. But Google Shopper works, and a complex app like Slingbox lets me watch my TV. Facebook works and I can access the web through Google or Opera. Why would Google Shopper work but not Shop Savy? Any other ideas?

Upvote 0
Im on .9.9 - A bit leaner then .9.8....You will have to download a few extra things -
You don't HAVE to wipe and then set it back up again. Some have had success flashing .8 over .9 - no framework changes.

Even with the wipe - between TB and google backup - most everything will restore (going from same ROM build)

Dave - on the SMS - Flash back to a sense based rom - your messages will load. Nandroid back to AOSP and you should be in biz.

+1 on the fix permissions....to solve FC's

I'm running AOSP 9.9.1. Which Sense based rom would you recommend. I hope I don't have to go back to the Sprint Rom? By the way, fix permissions didn't help. Amazing how this stuff works for one user and not another.

Upvote 0
I am on 9.9.1. Did all of this and no change. Also Places stopped working. But Google Shopper works, and a complex app like Slingbox lets me watch my TV. Facebook works and I can access the web through Google or Opera. Why would Google Shopper work but not Shop Savy? Any other ideas?

Sounds like you may have had a bad flash I would wipe everything, data, Davlik cache and cache. Then reflash the rom and gapps;)

Upvote 0
That was the first file I flashed when I first used AOSP, I think it has a few more Google apps, the new MDPI is a little lighter and that maybe by design I am not sure. I simply read somewhere that someone was missing talk and he flashed Gapps Tiny and it was back, but as Andy mentioned it also could of been a bad flash. Here is a quote from the CM forum below :cool:

If anyone was going to ask the what ".apk"s tiny doesn't have...this will answer:

$ diff gapps-mdpi-20100814-signed/system/app/ gapps-mdpi-tiny-20100814-signed/system/app/
Only in gapps-mdpi-20100814-signed/system/app/: CarHomeGoogle.apk
Only in gapps-mdpi-20100814-signed/system/app/: CarHomeLauncher.apk
Only in gapps-mdpi-20100814-signed/system/app/: ChromeToPhone.apk
Only in gapps-mdpi-20100814-signed/system/app/: Facebook.apk
Only in gapps-mdpi-20100814-signed/system/app/: GoogleGoggles.apk
Only in gapps-mdpi-20100814-signed/system/app/: googlevoice.apk
Only in gapps-mdpi-20100814-signed/system/app/: PassionQuickOffice.apk
Only in gapps-mdpi-20100814-signed/system/app/: Twitter.apk

Okay, that is a new term for me. What is Tiny GApps?

I thought the GApps one flashed were pretty much universal. Are there variations?

Upvote 0
Okay, that is a new term for me. What is Tiny GApps?

I thought the GApps one flashed were pretty much universal. Are there variations?

For the most, yes they are universal but aosp has been putting out his own variation of the gapps. Some for 0.9.9.1 and others are for gingerbread. For the most part, tiny gapps will be sufficient because applications like gmail, car home, voice search, google maps.... can be found in the market now. As long as the gapps has the android market, you should be able to download anything. So, if you flash the tiny gapps, you will be able to download whatever you want;)

Reactions: LBPHeretic
Upvote 0
For the most, yes they are universal but aosp has been putting out his own variation of the gapps. Some for 0.9.9.1 and others are for gingerbread. For the most part, tiny gapps will be sufficient because applications like gmail, car home, voice search, google maps.... can be found in the market now. As long as the gapps has the android market, you should be able to download anything. So, if you flash the tiny gapps, you will be able to download whatever you want;)

Okay, that makes a lot of sense. One question though, if I download the Google Apps that include everything, will they still be able to get updates?

Some things you can download updates in the market, and others are OTA, like the recent Android Market app update. Would that still happen if I flash the full Google Apps?

Upvote 0
Yes you can and yes you will get updates ;)

Okay, that makes a lot of sense. One question though, if I download the Google Apps that include everything, will they still be able to get updates?

Some things you can download updates in the market, and others are OTA, like the recent Android Market app update. Would that still happen if I flash the full Google Apps?

Upvote 0

I was running AOSP but now have moved over to CM6. More of my apps seem to work without force closes. And you were correct - I flashed a Sense ROM (Fresh) and all my SMS msgs came. I then nandroided back to CM6 and the SMS messages, now work. Thank you.

Upvote 0
On your AOSP, you could of fix permissions in RM, and also wiped Cache and Davlik and see if that would have solved your issue of FC

I was running AOSP but now have moved over to CM6. More of my apps seem to work without force closes. And you were correct - I flashed a Sense ROM (Fresh) and all my SMS msgs came. I then nandroided back to CM6 and the SMS messages, now work. Thank you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones