1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root AOSP rom suggestion?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Wendemi, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Wendemi

Wendemi Member
    None

Jun 6, 2010
    I like Sense roms but every single gingerbread rom I have used lately had issues on my phone. Now I am looking for an AOSP rom that has GPS working and a voicemail application like the one we find in sense roms. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Advertisement

2. andygu3

andygu3 Android Expert
    None

May 24, 2010
    Lewis Center, OH
    I personally would recommend starting with CM7. Then after you have a good, comfortable grasp of how CM7 runs, then try a different AOSP rom.

Everything works in the latest nightly, 4G, GPS....

youdoofus and Wendemi like this.
  3. the kid

the kid Member
    None

Feb 27, 2011
    texas
  4. youdoofus

youdoofus Android Expert
    None

Feb 26, 2011
    Tech support rep for Knology
    so dak
    +1 to cm7! And the tiamat kernel combo. You're very likely to receive many of the same recommendations as its just solid as hell :) everything works on it nowadays so, make a nandroid and flash away, if you dont like it you can always restore

Wendemi likes this.
  5. Wendemi

Wendemi Member
    None

Jun 6, 2010
    I tried CM7 and everything seemed to be working fine until I noticed the proximity sensor during a call was not responding well. Also, it looks like my WIFI connection was not as strong with CM7 as it is with sense roms. Plus, I miss all the widgets from sense. I decided to go back to Froyo with Sprint Lovers for now. No problems at all with that. I'll keep trying new roms though, Sense and AOSP. Thanks for any suggestions.

6. funky_muzic

funky_muzic Member
    None

Jun 4, 2011
    I'm also new to rooting and I am trying out CM7. However, I'm not sure how to get apps directly from the Android Market. There's no market app included on the ROM. Am I missing something here?

7. AFTER flashing CM7,did you then flash GAPPS? (google apps).if not,go back into recovery and flash the latest GAPPS.zip and you should be good to go after you sign into your GMAIL.(YOU MIGHT HAVE TO FLASH THE ROM/GAPPS FRESH IF JUST FLASHING GAPPS DOESNT SEEM TO WORK)but it SHOULD fix your problem.

ALSO,be aware that GINGERBREAD AND CM7 are harsh on your battery while using WIFI..the TIAMAT kernel helps along with SETCPU profile for when screens off and a battery calibrator.but other than that CM7 is a damn near a perfect 10! MY PERSONAL OPINION,if Cyanogen could SOMEHOW put the sweet sense widgets into their ROM,it would be a PERFECT 10!! ESP,if they theme!! :D

funky_muzic likes this.
  8. funky_muzic

funky_muzic Member
    None

Jun 4, 2011
    Hey Mike,
    Thanks for the tips. I'll try your suggestions. I do like CM7 so far because it seems like it's highly customizable.

9. themadgreek187

Mar 29, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Florida
    cm7 + tiamat kernel = epic win

10. lmao^^ too true!!

11. MizzouBrent

MizzouBrent Android Expert
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    Olathe, KS
    Gingerbreand and CM7 are not harsh on your battery with wifi, or they shouldn't be so long as you maintain the wifi connection. Set your wifi sleep policy to "never sleep" and it should be fine. A wifi connection will actually use less battery than the 3G radio, so wifi is definitely a good thing.

And unfortunately, we'll never get Sense widgets on an AOSP rom. They're two different creatures entirely, however there are some pretty decent sense-like knockoffs on the market. I like Beautiful Widgets a lot. I know Fancy Widget also has a Sense type clock widget, and it's free. However, you won't get the sweet weather animations.

12. MizzouBrent

MizzouBrent Android Expert
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    Olathe, KS
    I'm with you on CM7 and Tiamat. I don't know why my phone likes Tiamat so much, but my battery seems to be way better than with using SavagedZen. I'm running 4.0.2 right now. I can get a solid 24 hours off the charger with no problem. I ran one of the newer versions and I didn't feel like my battery life was quite as good.

13. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    i'm on the virus's kingdom rom right now. and i so miss my cm7/tiamat combo. battery life is nowhere near what i was getting with that combo.

14. Whiteicedmstech

Whiteicedmstech Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 14, 2010
    Sonographer
    Washington, IL
    I am seconding this. Jim is an amazing developer and his Rom's, sense or AOSP are far above the rest IMHO.

No disrespect to any other developers because I appreciate everyone's work, but we all have our favorites and Vaelpak would be mine.

Whiteice

Tags: