1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

AOSP ROMs for LG G3?! Help making one?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by WoodenAnts, Jul 30, 2014.

1. WoodenAnts

WoodenAnts Member

Hey guys,

So. I'm about to pick up the LG G3 on Tuesday (doesn't come out till AUG 5th here in Ausy :( ) and really wish there was an AOSP/AOKP/CM11 Rom out there. there isn't though. So my options are this: wait, deal with stock LG for a tick (which I don't mind because it looks hella nice) or make my own. I have little to no programming experience, but dare say I am savvy with Android, but never have ventured into the creating ROMs outside the usual file managing that you can do from inside the .zip of the rom.
    So what I'm asking is a little bit of knowledge in terms of where to start in building a AOSP ROM for the G3, or even a big ol' "no, you need to know how to program"
    I've tried googling such things but I've come up with old results with old Android builds. If you could steer me in the right direction, all you G3 users can maybe even get some sexy AOSP on yo devices!

Thanks a million,
    Brad

2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

I moved this over to the All Things Root subforum. If the G2 is any indication, there will be plenty of development for the G3.:thumb:

3. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja

there should be quite a few, I believe there are several ROMs over on xda.

for us verizon variants I do not foresee any aosp roms anytime soon.

4. You can't,the bootloader can't be unlocked at the moment. You can only put a variant of the stock ROM on it at the moment not AOSP.

WoodenAnts likes this.
  5. WoodenAnts

WoodenAnts Member

So to unlock the bootloader, are we waiting on LG or do this or hackers/modders to figure out a way?

androiduser911 likes this.
  6. Yep. HTC and Sony allow it from their own website (not sure about Samsung) but LG do not and the devs are struggling with it at the moment. The G3 Tmobile version in the US comes with an unlocked bootloader but that doesn't help the rest of us. Its pretty much a game of wait and see at the moment,it may come tomorrow or never.

7. aaanadie

aaanadie Android Enthusiast

T-Mobile version have unlocked bootloader.

8. basoodler

basoodler Member

Having come from the Motorola droid 2 > bionic > razor xt912 to this g3. All of which have locked bootloaders.

Aosp roms are entirely possible on locked bootloaders. In fact my razor that I just recently replaced was running the latest paranoid android Rom and a custom kernel (installed via kexec) on a locked bootloader. They managed. To get around the entire boot loader on the Omap processors with help from a strong community of developers.

Anything is possible

WoodenAnts likes this.

LG G3 Forum

The LG G3 release date was June 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.5" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2/3GB RAM, Snapdragon 801 processor, and 3000mAh battery.

June 2014
Release Date
Reviews