1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root ap2sd, DATA++ confusion, help

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by heap1000, Jun 16, 2011.

1. heap1000

heap1000 Lurker
    None

Jun 16, 2011
    ok so i have taken the mighty step and rooted my desire, the main reason was the shortage of space for apps a poor 150mb! Followed a noob guide on here and rooted and s-off'd, and also partitioned 1gb on my sd card as ext 4.. i have put on a insertcoin GB sense 2.1 cm7 1.08 rom on and it has installed all my apps and data and phone contacts by its self (previously tried another rom and add to add all this on myself) so all my apps are on and i go and check my internal memory and i have 22mb of room left!!!??? i have manualy moved as many apps to the sd card as possible but i thought they would all be on there? how come my internal storage is getting so full? This makes the rooting process pointless.

thanks

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    What memory partition table are you using (alpharev hboot)? If that question means nothing to you, or you don't know, then the answer is "the default".

Reason I ask is that I don't know that ROM well, but it has an "a2sd" and a "cm7" version, and you say "cm7". So if you have not changed your memory table you want to use the a2sd version.

3. heap1000

heap1000 Lurker
    None

Jun 16, 2011
    I think it is the alpharev one as I burnt that program to cd and usef it to A-off, I have the joker as my bootscreen. Is this correct? Thanks for your reply

4. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    That means you have S-Off, but unless you have then flashed a different hboot (from the table about half way down the alpharev page) you still have the default memory partitions.

If you'd done this, you'd know.

5. heap1000

heap1000 Lurker
    None

Jun 16, 2011
    Ok, don't think i did that. Does that mean I need the other Rom? How do i use app2sd on the Rom? I take it it is not like the app i used before root?

6. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    No, it isn't like the app you used pre-root. Generally when a custom ROM is talking about a2sd is means redirecting the /data/app directory from internal memory to an ext format partition which has been added to the SD card. In most cases you don't need to do anything to use it apart from partition the card and flash the ROM, though some a2sd scripts do need a little setting up by the user to get the full benefit. It has the advantage that it works even for apps with widgets, which don't work if moved to the SD card google-style.

I'm guessing that you should use the other version of that ROM, because you don't have the CM7 partition table. But as I say, I don't know the details of that ROM, and they don't make it terribly clear in their descriptions exactly how the 2 versions differ. However, there's no way that ROM is going to fit in system storage with the CM7 partition, which is much smaller than with the default table (130MB rather than 250MB), so the CM7 version must be putting a lot of the ROM in the ext partition, and presumably then using internal for user apps. That would be OK if you had the CM7 memory table, because that would give you more internal space, but not ideal with the default setup. You could check by installing an app called Quick System Info and then seeing what it says about your Internal, System and A2SD storage (how much space and how much is free in each).

If I'm right, you could in principle solve it by changing to the CM7 table. But that's not something you should rush straight into - you should make sure you know what you are doing first. So it would probably be better to use the a2sd version of the ROM for now. Take a nandroid backup first, so that you can get back to where you are now should there be any problem.

But if you do run Quick System Info first, I'd be interested in what it says, just to know whether I've guessed right what this ROM is doing. If it's intended for the CM7 table it should report that you have at least 120MB free in System storage (out of 250 total), and presumably be using a bit more than 120MB of "a2sd storage".

If you want to know what these tables I talk about are, read the alpharev website fully ;)

7. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Oh, and have a look at the a2sd FAQ linked from this forum's sticky post - that should make some of this stuff a bit clearer as well.

8. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    I am going to expand on this faq to look at other methods too. Hboot for example

9. heap1000

heap1000 Lurker
    None

Jun 16, 2011
    Thanks for the replys guys :) ok these are the results from the system.

SD card
    Total 6.43 free 4.59

A2SD
    Total 0.96 free 549mb

Internal
    Total 148mb free 16.47mb

System
    Total 250mb free 127 mbps

So it looks as though something is using my portion as it as halved!

Hadron likes this.
  10. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Android Expert
    None

Sep 11, 2009
    UK
    manually move the apps back to phone, you have moved them to sd card which means a2sd is not working.
    a2sd looks like internal storage space, your space wont grow but it will shrink really slowly as it doesnt display the extra space.

how many apps have you got? thats alot of data use in a2sd storage

11. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    If you're using the cm7 version, chances are it moves part of the Rom to sd. You need to ensure you are on the a2sd version.

Since you've got so much space on system that is wasted, get the other version and it will probably make more sense for you

12. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Thanks for posting that. It confirms my suspicion: you are using only half if the system partition, as it's the CM7 ROM, but 400MB of the ext partition (a2sd storage), a lot of which is probably the ROM.

So as SUroot says, you'll do better with the other version of that ROM.

Tags: