• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

apeing the blackberry

nathanotis

Android Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2009
Denver, CO
Hey guys. Firstly, I wanna say I'm loving my Hero. There are 2 things I miss from my Curve, though...

1. I miss some of the blackberry notification sounds. Im told these are available for download "all over the web", but I can't locate them. A little please?

2. On the berry, when one typed "wer" and the spacebar, "we're" would pop up in its place. Does the Hero (or Android in general) have a custom dictionary where I could set this up?

Thanks.

Hey guys. Firstly, I wanna say I'm loving my Hero. There are 2 things I miss from my Curve, though...

1. I miss some of the blackberry notification sounds. Im told these are available for download "all over the web", but I can't locate them. A little please?

2. On the berry, when one typed "wer" and the spacebar, "we're" would pop up in its place. Does the Hero (or Android in general) have a custom dictionary where I could set this up?

Thanks.

On the dictionary question, I HAVE NO IDEA, but if you find it please post back here b/c I would love to know as well.

Upvote 0
The custom dictionary is automatic if you have predictive text enabled and it comes enabled by default. When you are typing a suggestion list appears above the keyboard. <SPACE> or touching the word will accept the green highlighted word and let you continue. If you are typing a word the phone doesn't know it will show up highlighted orange and hitting <SPACE> or touching the word will add it to your custom dictionary. However this dictionary is not editable, even on rooted phones so far, so you can add words while typing but you can't associate words with certain key strokes or delete words. You can empty the dictionary but that's as much as you can do.

Upvote 0
The custom dictionary is automatic if you have predictive text enabled and it comes enabled by default. When you are typing a suggestion list appears above the keyboard. <SPACE> or touching the word will accept the green highlighted word and let you continue. If you are typing a word the phone doesn't know it will show up highlighted orange and hitting <SPACE> or touching the word will add it to your custom dictionary. However this dictionary is not editable, even on rooted phones so far, so you can add words while typing but you can't associate words with certain key strokes or delete words. You can empty the dictionary but that's as much as you can do.

^Stinks. And so even if you do "teach" it to accept certain words, you'll still have to type them in. On my BB I had phrases for business that I used quite often such as foreign locations i.e. SHANGHAI, CN and I had it programmed, when I typed "SHA [SPACE]" it turned it into SHANGHAI, CN. But that wouldn't work with the teaching method. Oh well, NBD.

Upvote 0
... in portrait mode, you can set the keyboard into phonepad mode and hit the number one ...

Deryn, thanks so much for this suggestion. I've been messing with the alternate keyboards built into the portrait mode... They're awesome! I prefer the Compact Qwerty. Not only do I have a dedicated apostrophe key (with quotes on the long press), the buttons are bigger and I'm INSTANTLY typing faster. The predictive text REALLY shines on the phone in these modes. I don't know when/if I'm ever going to use the landscape keyboard again!

I'm a convert! +1 rep for you, my friend!

(it's crazy how excited I am about this)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones