• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Apex1.4.1 to GB, but how to root?

Dman027

Feb 21, 2011
I am running apex1.4.1 and want to OTA update to GB and then root again.

I heard that you can do this if you bootstrap with the Droid2 and not droidx bootstrap? is this true? Or is there no root yet for GB?

thank you sorry if this has been answered a billion times

I was in the same boat as you, on Apex and wanted GB.

Now some may say this isn't the best way to do it but it has worked for me.

I restored a clean nandroid of froyo when I first rooted it. Used D2 bootstrap, wiped, installed all the GB files, wiped a little more.. and now I am on rooted GB.

Reactions: Dman027
Upvote 0
I was in the same boat as you, on Apex and wanted GB.

Now some may say this isn't the best way to do it but it has worked for me.

I restored a clean nandroid of froyo when I first rooted it. Used D2 bootstrap, wiped, installed all the GB files, wiped a little more.. and now I am on rooted GB.

Thanks iam going to try this in a bit, hope i dont mess up! I keep finding more and more glitches with Apex so its time for a change for a bit

Upvote 0
GB is a nice change from Apex that is for sure, I will be glad when it is all fixed up for .596 though.

Just be sure to wipe a lot, in between each install preferably just to be safe.

You'll be on GB soon enough. :D

Edit: Let us know how it goes!

not sure wich nanroid to restore too, so just choose the earliest i guess?

will do! thanks

Reactions: cjcross22
Upvote 0
I went from ApeX 1.41 to .596 last night and today...

Last night I SBF'ed to stock .340 using the Linux boot CD.

I made the mistake of doing the .596 OTA actually via OTA... Then subsequent reading here made me realize that I wouldn't be able to root it.

So, I downloaded the two pre-rooted .596 files and re-SBF'ed it again this morning. I did the whole process with the Droid2 Bootstrapper and everything is good to go. I should have just done that first.

Upvote 0
Thanks I already got the GB on there and loaded.

Also, now my phone is lagging so slow its basically not usable...? :( why is this!?

I try to open bootstrap to go back into recovery and do another wipe and it just goes to a blank homescreen and stays on that...

Sorry didn't notice you finally got GB..

Hmm, I was going to tell you to go back into bootstrap and try another wipe.. Try to reboot it, if that still doesn't work.. pull your battery and plug your phone into the wall and replace the battery, power it back up and that should automatically boot you into recovery.

Upvote 0
Sorry didn't notice you finally got GB..

Hmm, I was going to tell you to go back into bootstrap and try another wipe.. Try to reboot it, if that still doesn't work.. pull your battery and plug your phone into the wall and replace the battery, power it back up and that should automatically boot you into recovery.

nope didnt boot me into recovery like that :/ ahh iam starting to get scared haha

that just gives me the charging screen when the phone is off

Upvote 0
ok well i got it to work.
now
here is what happened haha

i booted to stock recovery, hit the search button... nothing happened. hit all buttons, nothing happened, held the power button, nothing happened, im like wtf! so i remove the battery, booted it up yet again for the 5th time (not lieing, 5 times this happened)(the frozen stock recovery happened last night after installing liberty for the first time) so once it went passed the moto boot logo, i was going to show my buddy what it was doing with all the FC's cause he was wondering what i was talking about, phone was not plugged in, and booted straight to clockwork recovery, from there i wiped data and cache, and reinstalled liberty :(
so now my phone is sitting in MRI waiting for all the apps to be installed so i can mess with it again and see if it happens once more. but this didnt happen until i installed bouchigo's 2 mods that i had done before overtop of a fresh .596 after liberty. so i dont know what was causing it, but im going to keep my eye on it, and do some more tests when i get home to my pc

He was having force close problems and couldn't navigate to bootstrap..

Don't know if this will help but found this a few threads down..

Keep trying it man! haha

Upvote 0
He was having force close problems and couldn't navigate to bootstrap..

Don't know if this will help but found this a few threads down..

Keep trying it man! haha

ahh thanks, Yeah my settings buttons arent working right either, and when ever i finnaly click an app or a text message, the screen goes black and freezes the bar on top with it

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones