1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

.apk file help please!

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by bakedbrotato, Jan 4, 2012.

1. bakedbrotato

bakedbrotato Lurker
    None

Jan 4, 2012
    After downloading a .zip file on my pc (afterwards changing to a .apk) I manually placed the file in a folder on my phone that contained other .apk files. Now that I've done that, I simply want to know how to access the .apk itself. I am having a difficult time locating anything on the internet about manual access to these files. Any help is appreciated.
    -Droid Razr

Note: I am not rooted

Advertisement

2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    Easiest way - two parts.

First, under your Applications settings (homescreen, menu, settings) click to allow "unknown sources" or words to that effect on your phone. Translation: apps installed not from Market directly.

Second, I recommend Astro File Manager. Find the apk file you saved with Astro, tap it, and Astro will guide you to install the apk.

Also - just to be sure - make sure that zip file needed to be renamed, and didn't simply contain the apk to be unzipped. ;)

If it's an app meant to installed for rooted users, zip files are for flashing, not installing conventionally. Check with the developer of the app for exact instructions.

If it's a free version of a paid app, stop now. That method is the Number One that Android viruses, spyware and malware are spreading like wildfire. Trying to save a buck on an app just isn't worth it, believe me.

Harry2 likes this.
  3. bakedbrotato

bakedbrotato Lurker
    None

Jan 4, 2012
    I've already done the first two steps, however I can't find the file anywhere in Astro. It should be in a Downloads folder. (but I can;t find anything that looks like downloads). Tips?

4. bakedbrotato

bakedbrotato Lurker
    None

Jan 4, 2012
    Disregard^. I found it. Thanks for the help!

EarlyMon likes this.