1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Support .apk files

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by prnapper, Aug 7, 2013.

1. prnapper

prnapper Lurker

I have an issue where .apk files are being downloaded automatically, so I can see them in my downloads file but I haven't actually downloaded them.

They are things like adultgallery.apk

Can I stop them being downloaded automatically?

Thanks

Advertisement

2. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

Welcome to the forums prnapper. My fellow Guide ScandaLeX came up with a solution over in this thread http://androidforums.com/samsung-ga...ock-browser-stop-automatic-apk-downloads.html in the Samsung Galaxy Players section here. Use settings from the home screen to go to Security then make sure that under Device Administration Unknown sources is unchecked. A Droidforums.net member had a problem very similar to yours and recieved the same advice from one of thier Developer members. Is there a chance of apk files being harmful?

3. prnapper

prnapper Lurker

Thanks - in the first post, I don't have an option on the browser to uncheck not to download from unknown sources. Is it worth just installing a different browser?

4. prnapper

prnapper Lurker

Ok, I've tried all the suggestions, will wait and see what happens.

5. SDMlg

SDMlg Lurker

I think the setting he's referring to is under Settings > Security > Unknown sources. It's global for your device, not just for the browser app. On my Galaxy Nexus, I check it when I want to get something from the Amazon app store, including the Amazon app store app itself, or installing something from an APK file. Then I make sure it's unchecked until I need to allow that again. Hope that helps.

Mark