• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

APK = self extract archive ?

kissber

Lurker
Jul 4, 2011
Hi,

I'm looking for 'something' that would have a behavior very similar to what is called a SFX in windows world (I know, I know ;-).

It means an APK file, containing both an archive (a structure of folders with files) and a small piece of code or script that will only execute once when the apk is executed and that will just uncompress (unzip) the folder structure and files, let say starting from the root of available file system.

Any idea how to do that ? would require and sdk or eclipse ? any windows or linux application would do that ? any idea ???

Regards
kb

It's not easy to do this as the APK file is an installer. I have an idea which I might attempt to give you what you're looking for. But I'm not sure how easy or feasible it is to implement. I'll give it a spin as soon as I get some free time. Right now I'm really busy and struggling to catch my sleep.

Btw, I'm still learning and haven't yet developed my first (proper) app, so don't expect miracles!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones